Canadian Colour Conundrum - Dingo Mk II

SimonL

In the post Christmas sales I picked up the Miniart Dingo Mk II. The boxing I have has a captured example on the outside, but also has some Allied markings available as well. The one that caught my eye was a for one serving with the Royal Canadian Dragoons, mostly as it has an RAF roundel on the back. The box didn’t actually have any colour and marking diagrams included, but luckily these are available from the Miniart website. The instructions indicate that the markings are for a vehicle in the UK during spring, 1943.

The colour indication is for a green overall colour - which seems unlikely to me.

From a previous inquiry concerning Canadian vehicles (for a C15A truck which still resides in my stash), it would seem to me that it is more likely to be SCC4 Stone (especially with the roundel on the back). See below for the previous discussion:

My understanding is that the inside of Dingos were painted the same colour as the exterior when delivered. My question is, should I paint the inside SCC2 (which is what I assume it would have been delivered as), or would it have been repainted SCC4?

Also - anyone want a couple of German soldier figures 🤣

You have to check Service Number to know, what year it was delivered / accepted into Royal Army.

Then, you can figure out, what were official orders at that time. Green, khaki, brown ?

I know, that would be too easy 😅 Life's too short without worrying about things like that, believe me!

Zig

Simon, if you dig around deeply enough on this Dingo Scout Car history site, you may well find out more than you ever wanted to know. The information architecture isn't exactly user friendly, but there are various unit histories and a document of WD vehicle numbers with their dates, units, etc.

Edited by Ade H

A period photo of the Dragoons carrier can be found at the beginning of this pdf file:

http://daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk/DFV-File Part D009a-Canadian armoured brigade.pdf

Canada was operating Dingo's prior to Dieppe, and for the raid itself.   In both cases, the base colour seems to have been Khaki Green no.3.

Barry Beldam's research also indicates a green colour:

full?d=1521501012

regards,

Jack

1943 is a conundrum year, because it is not long after the colour change.  If built before mid-42 it would indeed be Khaki Green 3 with disruptive painting in Green G4.  If built after then it would be SCC2 brown with blue-black/dark tarmac or SCC1A disruptive painting.  Unfortunately, both are probably equally likely in 1943.  Canadian Churchill IIIs at Dieppe were apparently both green and brown.  Monochrome photos don't help as KG3 and SCC2 schemes look very similar in greyshade.

So I believe that either KG3 or SCC2 can be considered correct for 1943.

Thanks for all the feedback.

@Ade H, you are right - fabulous website, although challenging to search. I did see the photo of the one I intend to build, as noted by @JackG.

I think I will take the path of painting it SCC2, as suggested by @Das Abteilung, partly because I have some of that in my paint collection.

Update: well this whole project will need to be shelved. Belatedly discovered as I started to glue a few parts that the whole of Sprue C is missing 😢 Email sent to Miniart to see if they can help.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

SCC.2 is most likely but not necessarily SCC.1A patterning.  The use of SCC.4  you mention is strictly limited to 1st Canadian Corps vehicles being repainted in May 1943 in preparation to participate in Operation Husky , the invasion of Sicily.  The order names SCC.4 as 'stone' which was applied over the existing basic colour.  The entire lower parts of the body and cab were then painted with black as the disruptive pattern and an RAF type roundel would be applied to a top surface.    I had been frequent in contact with Barry for years, when he designed that colour sheet he used the knowledge of colour information available to him at the time, 2004,  which then was more limited than now.  He wasn't aware of SCC.2 in use anywhere then nor that the roundel was confined to Sicily and Italy 1943-45.  It is the wrong proportions too.   I have a picture of Dingo F206327 in Barry's book.  It shows the Dingo in overall SCC.2 for sure with a light coloured circular area on the rear deck that he presumed to be a roundel but it might also be a gas patch, his caption does state in preparation to go to Sicily.  

• Thanks 3

Thanks Mike. Reinforces my decision to go with SCC2, and I suspect I will take the option of the roundel, even if it may be dubious. Have to say the customer service from Miniart is first rate - a replacement sprue C is on its way already. May be awhile though - Perth, WA is a long way from anywhere…

• 2 weeks later...