1/72 Leonardo TH-73A Thrasher

hsr

The TH-73A Thrasher (named for a North American bird) is the US Navy's newest primary training helicopter, replacing the venerable TH-57x series. It is so new that no kit manufacturer make a kit of it. But the TH-73A is basically a AugustaWestland AW119, and the AW119 is a single engine version of the AugustaWestland AW109, and Revell does make a kit of the AW109 (which they call an A-109). So using that kit, parts from a diecast AW119, and some home made decals I was able to cobble together a TH-73A. For details on the build see:

I won't bore you with the gory details here so let's got directly to the pictures

aXkgRCPR_o.jpg

NJZOwZ4T_o.jpg

U0ypAY4Y_o.jpg

e0sqHA5P_o.jpg

PjxbFRqm_o.jpg

X9MgnUgS_o.jpg

Next up in the Hobby 2000 rebox of the Fujimi A-4F Skyhawk.

Enjoy

• Like 18

Sweet. Nicely done.

Have to convert one of the revell kits to A-109E

BTW A-109 is still offcialy A-109 not AW. I work on A-109E Power (PWC 206C engines). Basicly it goes back to type certificate. If they would offcialy change the designation they would have to recetrify a lot of parts, components and such wich would cost as much as certifying a new helicopter type. For that reason Airbus H-145 (commercial name) is technically still BKK-117D series or Mi-171 is still Mi-8 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TISO said:

Have to convert one of the revell kits to A-109E

No, but given the parts break down Revell may have had other variants in mind.

10 minutes ago, TISO said:

BTW A-109 is still offcialy A-109 not AW.

I stand corrected. 

Thanks

Howard

13 minutes ago, TISO said:

For that reason Airbus H-145 (commercial name) is technically still BKK-117D

The H-145 has the US military designation of UH-72A Lakota and is the latest US Army training helicopter, so I will be working on the Heller kit soon.