Russian Naval Museum in St. Petersburg

On 02/02/2022 at 08:31, Dmitriy1967 said:

As for getting this model into the USSR, I couldn't find out.

Guessing time then... My complete guess is that it found its way to the museum through auction (whether private donation by someone else or from the museum purchasing directly through an 'excursion'). Either way I think is a reasonable conjecture, @dickrd?

I would definitely say it is a trophy model though as it is quite stunning! Interesting that it did end up there, items like that would be to the great benefit of the UK's National Maritime Museum (if only they'd display more of their own collection).

Thanks again for these photos, it's definitely pushed St Petersburg higher on my to visit list.

David

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Thanks again for these photos, it's definitely pushed St Petersburg higher on my to visit list.

David

Come, we are always glad to have guests. St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities in Russia. A huge number of different museums, theaters, stunning architecture carefully preserved and restored. Very beautiful views. It is not for nothing that St. Petersburg proudly bears the unofficial name - the cultural capital of Russia.

Saint Petersburg Aerial Timelab.pro

• Like 1

Gidday Dmitriy, I was surprised to see HMS Ajax there too. And I understand your difficulty in photographing it, I had a similar problem with a model in a museum here a number of years ago. These are extremely good models, and I think your collection of photos of them would be a goldmine for anyone wishing to make models of these ships. Your photos are very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Guessing time then... My complete guess is that it found its way to the museum through auction (whether private donation by someone else or from the museum purchasing directly through an 'excursion'). Either way I think is a reasonable conjecture, @dickrd?

I would definitely say it is a trophy model though as it is quite stunning! Interesting that it did end up there, items like that would be to the great benefit of the UK's National Maritime Museum (if only they'd display more of their own collection).

David

A long time ago I was told the answer but stupidly did not make a note of it at the time. My dim memory is that it was either:

a. A pre-WW2 diplomatic gift from a UK PM to Hitler then 'liberated' by the Russians from Berlin (would fit the trophy narrative).

b. A gift from Churchill to Stalin.

Anyhow, I am e-mailing the museum and we shall see what they say.

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon, friends!

There is a museum in my city - a real submarine S-189 (project 613). Closer to the summer, I'm going to visit her. Naturally, I will take pictures and post them here. But if someone has special requests to photograph individual parts in more detail, please let us know here.

Museum website

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Dmitriy.

I visited St Petersburg several years ago on a cruise ship and was very pleased to see two submarines (S-189 and D-2) on the way to the Hermitage! It was a shame I couldn't stop to see them in more detail.

Thank you for the photos and museum links.

Regards

Kevin

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Flintstone said:

Dmitriy.

I visited St Petersburg several years ago on a cruise ship and was very pleased to see two submarines (S-189 and D-2) on the way to the Hermitage! It was a shame I couldn't stop to see them in more detail.

Thank you for the photos and museum links.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin

Yes, you're right, I completely forgot that we also have a D2 submarine. :)

Dmitriy

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic photos Dimitry. The museum clearly has some superb model ships. Really appreciate you taking the time to post these. 

I have a long term plan to build (probably from scratch) either a Kotlin, Kanin or Krupny class destoyer. If you ever get the chance to get any pictures of these i would be very appreciative!

Thanks again for the superb pictures!

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Fantastic photos Dimitry. The museum clearly has some superb model ships. Really appreciate you taking the time to post these. 

I have a long term plan to build (probably from scratch) either a Kotlin, Kanin or Krupny class destoyer. If you ever get the chance to get any pictures of these i would be very appreciative!

Thanks again for the superb pictures!

Terry

Hi Terry

Unfortunately, I'm not planning to visit the museum in the near future, but when I get there, I'll look for the ships you named.

• Thanks 1

For those interested (eg @Dmitriy1967 & @Adm Lord De Univers), I received the following from the museum re the model of HMS Ajax:

HMS Ajax

1st March 2022

Уважаемый господин Деннис!

Модель британского крейсера «Аякс» была взята войсками Красной Армии в качестве боевого трофея в Берлине в мае 1945 года.

Затем эта модель находилась в одном из научно-исследовательских институтов, после чего была передана в Центральный военно-морской музей.

Сведениями о том, как  эта модель попала из Великобритании в Берлин, мы не располагаем.

С уважением

научно-информационный отдел

Центрального военно-морского музея

имени императора Петра Великого

Dear Mr. Dennis!

A model of the British cruiser Ajax was taken by the Red Army as a battle trophy in Berlin in May 1945.

Then this model was in one of the research institutes, after which it was transferred to the Central Naval Museum.

We have no information about how this model got from the UK to Berlin.

Sincerely

scientific information department

Central Naval Museum

named after Emperor Peter the Great

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Dmitriy1967, they have a sauna on a submarine? Regards, Jeff.

That they did Jeff, and a 'swimming' pool (it was quite small, more like a plunge pool for post sauna), and gym. I've even heard of aviaries and video arcade/cinema. I believe these areas were initially used for storage, so it is likely they weren't in use at the beginning of journeys. 

I'm unsure but seem to recall the sauna was heated via one of the reactors. There's a YouTube video walkthrough of one of these somewhere, quite fascinating.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

That they did Jeff, and a 'swimming' pool (it was quite small, more like a plunge pool for post sauna), and gym. I've even heard of aviaries and video arcade/cinema.

Gidday David, and thanks. I've gone back and had another look at @Martian's H.L.Hunley. He seems to have forgotten to add these facilities in his build. Slack. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I'm unsure but seem to recall the sauna was heated via one of the reactors.

Yes, the sailor on duty brings hot uranium rods in a bucket from the reactor and they heat the sauna. Very convenient!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday David, and thanks. I've gone back and had another look at @Martian's H.L.Hunley. He seems to have forgotten to add these facilities in his build. Slack. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

Evil Child! You have made me go and take another look at the model and I have discovered that I forgot to include American Civil War era missile silos as well. Clearly my research sucks these days. :doh:

Disillusioned of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Yes, the sailor on duty brings hot uranium rods in a bucket from the reactor and they heat the sauna. Very convenient!

I see, that's why Russian sailors seem to be literally "glowing" with health!

Enlightened of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2022 at 23:48, Dmitriy1967 said:

And so... Cruiser of the 1st rank Varyag.

This model was made in the model workshop of the William Cramp and Sons shipyard in 1898. At the very shipyard where the Varyag cruiser was built.

Obviously, this is the most accurate model of this ship in the whole world.

Saying the phrase that this is the most accurate model of a ship in the world, I was wrong. Right now, before our eyes, a modeler from Ukraine, Valery, is creating a much more detailed model Varyag. He started doing it in the fall of 2018 and has not finished yet.

This is a truly fantastic build!

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19333-cruiser-varyag-1901-by-valeriy-v-scale-175/

• Like 1