Airfix Vulcan vortex generators

meindert

I am modelling a couple of old Airfix Vulcan B.2 kits in 1/72.

A friend of mine brought along his new tooled Airfix Vulcan B.2 kit. On this new fine kit, vortex generators are moulded in 2 rows with 6 front and 10 rear ones on each upper wing have approx mid span.

Now I also had a Flightpath etched metal set. The set indicates entirely different locations of these vortex generators but probably the drawing is for a B.1 with different wing. The drawing shows a single row with 6 + 10 generators, more situated outboard.

Was indeed the location of the vortex generators completely different between the B.1 wing and the B.2 wing? 

On 14/01/2022 at 13:06, meindert said:

A friend of mine brought along his new tooled Airfix Vulcan B.2 kit. On this new fine kit, vortex generators are moulded in 2 rows with 6 front and 10 rear ones on each upper wing have approx mid span.

Now I also had a Flightpath etched metal set. The set indicates entirely different locations of these vortex generators but probably the drawing is for a B.1 with different wing. The drawing shows a single row with 6 + 10 generators, more situated outboard.

Was indeed the location of the vortex generators completely different between the B.1 wing and the B.2 wing? 

The B1 had vortex generators, as per the Flightpath kit etch parts

The B2 didn't have vortex generators, and there's none moulded on either new or old tool Airfix kits

What you're seeing on the new tool Airfix kit is a (rather exaggerated) representation of a modification. Given the position, they appear to be Skybolt related, and look like either strengthening or inspection plugs. 

They're difficult to spot on photo's, and don't seem to appear until the late 70's.

There's some on the upper surface between the tailpipes as well

Late photos of the fin show a pattern of inspection plugs on either side which Airfix haven't represented, these might be the same. 

Model wise if you're doing a late camo scheme with D type roundels and have a photo where you can see them, sand them down until they're just about gone, for any earlier schemes I'd suggest removing them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That explains, it thanks Dave, tried looking at good images of museum aircraft and I can't spot the detail at all.

Quite understandably there's loads of detail shots around of the underside of vulcan wings, but very few of the topside. There's a couple in the walkround section (copied below) showing XH558 under maintenance where these points are visible, primarily because there doesn't appear to be any paint on them (or possibly just primer) Once painted you're relying on a combination of dirt accumulation and shadow for them to be visible, and you have to be actively looking in the right place to see them

m29.JPG

m33.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 71chally said:

Weird I can't see either set of images from a computer or phone? 

Thanks for trying again though.

Very odd indeed James, have you tried the link I added? Can you see the text? Can you see the images in the F-104G post James?  

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...