1/72nd & 1/48th - I-16 Type 5 by Clear Prop! Models

Tbolt

1 hour ago, CarLos said:

Christian, I read your description above! But correcting old kits is one of my favourite aspects in modelling. Why am I building the old Airfix B-24 and looking suspectly to the Catalina also by Airfix?

...but, but I forbid you! ☝️😉

All fine Carlos, but don't say you haven't been warned.

• Like 1

The devil makes work for idle hands: In studying the descriptive pages for each of the three I-16 kits announced so far, I noticed a curious variation in the parts count:

CP72023 - 93 parts

CP72024 - 100 parts

CP72025 - 102 parts

I wonder what that means?  :whistle:

Or this - now the pricing (20 Euros) is gone from CP's web site. Maybe they're reducing the price... :lol:

John

• Like 1

Instruction sheets; these take a few seconds to download - ignore the message in the bottom left corner of the screen:

CP72023: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cwCrphEI6dLC7GdaVtV9ZcVDrbdU2xC4/view

CP72024: https://drive.google.com/file/d/115nO8jHC7ks5XOBP4hV4OJsGrb9K332B/view

CP72025: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gqIWGMkRpia-1DRY49Zbwt2uB0_3YzX-/view

Not only are early and late wheels/tires included, there are two separate sprues for early and late wing upper surfaces (sprue C for late, sprue E for early). Also note that CP72023 (Spanish Civil War) includes both early and late wings; CP72024 (Type 5 Early Version, with the Chinese AF box art) includes only the early wings, while CP72025 (1938-1941) has only the late wings.

John

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Also note that CP72023 (Spanish Civil War) includes both early and late wings; CP72024 (Type 5 Early Version, with the Chinese AF box art) includes only the early wings, while CP72025 (1938-1941) has only the late wings.

Good to know. Thanks for the info, John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sure - Greenmats guy gets the usual freebies, while we, the desperate paying customers, are forced to wait. Or we would be paying customers if the CP site would just enable "Add to cart" and...

takemymoney.jpg

I know - I said it was rude and overused before, but I'm getting irrational - my mouse is wearing out from all the clicking and refreshing I've been doing for the past two months... :rage:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/11/2022 at 4:01 PM, John Thompson said:

The devil makes work for idle hands: In studying the descriptive pages for each of the three I-16 kits announced so far, I noticed a curious variation in the parts count:

CP72023 - 93 parts

CP72024 - 100 parts

CP72025 - 102 parts

If my Eyeball 1.0 M57 optical scanner does not lie, then the Spanish version contains 91 parts, and the Chinese and Soviet versions - 89 each. 

Up to a hundred, however, they lack a little bit.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, KRK4m said:

If my Eyeball 1.0 M57 optical scanner does not lie, then the Spanish version contains 91 parts, and the Chinese and Soviet versions - 89 each. 

Up to a hundred, however, they lack a little bit.

Cheers

Michael

Nope - the pages on CP's site still show 93, 100, and 102. Likewise the cover pages of the instruction sheets for the kits - 93, 100, and 102. Maybe CP's numbers include parts not used in a particular version, although my head doesn't feel like trying to test that theory. Regardless, your numbers of 91 for the SCW version and 89 for the other two make sense - two more parts for the SCW because of a second set of wing upper surfaces, while the other two have only one set.

I did notice one tiny error in the instructions for all three kits - step 11 shows the insertion of the exhaust stacks into the cowling openings. The upper opening on the left/port side should have two exhausts, not one - the I-16 type 5's M-25 engine had 9 cylinders, but the cowling had only 8 outlets, so one outlet had two exhaust stacks.

Okay, I deleted the silly part - even I was offended... 😊

John

Released in 1/72nd

- ref. CP72023 - Polikarpov I-16 Type 5 - in the sky of Spain - starter kit - https://clearpropmodels.com/cp_72023

- ref. CP72024 - Polikarpov I-16 Type 5 - early version - starter kit - https://clearpropmodels.com/cp_72024

- ref. CP72025 - Polikarpov I-16 Type 5 - 1938-1941 - starter kit - https://clearpropmodels.com/cp_72025

72023.jpg 72024.jpg

72025.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

On 5/31/2022 at 6:49 PM, John Thompson said:

I did notice one tiny error in the instructions for all three kits - step 11 shows the insertion of the exhaust stacks into the cowling openings. The upper opening on the left/port side should have two exhausts, not one - the I-16 type 5's M-25 engine had 9 cylinders, but the cowling had only 8 outlets, so one outlet had two exhaust stacks.

Oho - I was wrong! Again! These two images showed up in my email inbox today, from Clear Prop:

cowling-section-1.png

cowling-image-2.png

I'll be quiet now, until the kits are actually available... :blush:

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm informed that these kits are being shipped this week, both from CP and from at least one vendor (Plastic Models Store) in Ukraine. Still showing as "backorder" at Hannants, so for those in the UK who might want to save 10%, better place that order now! As seems to be customary hereabouts, I disclaim any connection, financial or otherwise, with that renowned purveyor of fine model kits... ;)

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My ClearProp I-16 just arrived (thank you, Karaya) and a surprise inside!

Well, on the last page of the instruction leaflet, next to the Ki-51, H-75Q, OV-1 and the other two (we have known for weeks) I-16 boxings, there is also a novelty, signed as "I-16 type 5 ski version". The picture indeed shows a dark green late series I-16 type 5 (with a fixed/short/rounded windshield) skiing in winter scenery. Next to the large tactical number "11" on the fin there is an inscription on the starboard fuselage side, which reads "Svobodu ugnyetyennym" (Freedom for the oppressed).

Unfortunately, it has not been stated whether this set will be the #72026 or something else.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KRK4m said:

My ClearProp I-16 just arrived (thank you, Karaya) and a surprise inside!

Well, on the last page of the instruction leaflet, next to the Ki-51, H-75Q, OV-1 and the other two (we have known for weeks) I-16 boxings, there is also a novelty, signed as "I-16 type 5 ski version". The picture indeed shows a dark green late series I-16 type 5 (with a fixed/short/rounded windshield) skiing in winter scenery. Next to the large tactical number "11" on the fin there is an inscription on the starboard fuselage side, which reads "Svobodu ugnyetyennym" (Freedom for the oppressed).

Unfortunately, it has not been stated whether this set will be the #72026 or something else.

Cheers

Michael

Look very closely under "1/72", in the upper right-hand corner of the box art for the ski-equipped version on the back of the existing boxes - it's CP72029. Also check the CP Facebook page for the rotating animated 3D CAD rendering - it shows a ski-equipped version. I thought maybe the skis would be included in the three current boxings (72023, 72024, and 72025), but they are not, so apparently there will be a separate sprue which will include the skis

John

• Like 1

Thanks, John

However, I looked at the leaflet first than at the back of the box :)

And I don't use FB (and also Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, etc.)

Nevertheless, there are A, B, C and E sprues in my (SCW) boxing, so Sprue D with skis would fit perfectly there.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KRK4m said:

"I-16 type 5 ski version". The picture indeed shows a dark green late series I-16 type 5 (with a fixed/short/rounded windshield) skiing in winter scenery. Next to the large tactical number "11" on the fin there is an inscription on the starboard fuselage side, which reads "Svobodu ugnyetyennym" (Freedom for the oppressed).

Hi,

In the beginning of the Winter War (special military operation in the NW border as the Soviet Union didn't declare war) late 1939 a few I-16s and I-15bises were decorated with this kind of slogans. # 11 was one of those planes.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

I noticed that Eduard will release a canopy mask cx631, in October. Clear Prop will most probably release their own mask too. When I asked what accessories they will release, they replied that a PE set and a vacuum canopy are in the works.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wondering that no-one hasn't commented the kit at all.

I got my first ones yesterday and after come time with the kit, my references and competitors from ICM and Hasegawa I would say that we have already a winner and even more expecting that ClearProp will release whole round-up of the different versions.

Basically shapes and dimensions seems to be correct. This time fuselage cross section is correct perry-shaped instead of the earlier models apple-shape. Also dry-fitting of the main parts shows good buildability. Detail-level and quality is high. There are plenty of parts to the cockpit which arnät so well visible especially with the closed cockpit so better to leave the early canopy open and leave the entry-hatch open.

Not to be sounding like a marketing-speech have to say that unfortunately the single-part wheels have some sink marks, there are no seat-belts nor wire for the rectracting the gear. I'm sure that at least both the wheels and seat belts either are or will be soon solved with alternative parts.

Unfortunately I haven't yet had time to start to built this model. My first impression is that this is an usually fine and detailed model which is likely easy and quite quick to built. Usually I build a single model of the type except there are clear differences between the subtypes. I see several more these in my building queue in the future.

Slava Ukraini!

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 2

My first one is about ready for a final sanding and then paint. Comparing it to the earlier 1/72 kits by Amodel and ICM, I like it that Clear Prop captured correctly the taper of the fuselage and cowling in plan view, as the others did not. I found that the joint between the fuselage and wings requires care in order to minimize the amount of filler needed. I hope that someday CP will add other "types" to their product line, especially the type 10.

John

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A question for you I-16 and Spanish Civil War experts. There's a nice camouflaged option for a I-16 captured by the Nationalists, Cuatro Vientos in 1938. Were these captures Ratas actually used in combat missions, did they see action against Republican aircraft?

• 4 weeks later...