1/72nd & 1/48th - I-16 Type 5 by Clear Prop! Models

Tbolt

On 1/15/2022 at 8:28 AM, Homebee said:

Indeed - 1/72 - ref. ? - Polikarpov I-16 type ?

First test sprue picture

Source: https://www.greenmats.club/forums/topic/9166-clear-prop-и-16-—-в-разработке/#comment-113548

95e68f2d7c28b480874e26353de277fe-0-cr-jp

V.P.

I like this:- the join will be a lot easyer to fill and sand than it being at a panel line, and it has the benifit of it being where the exhaust stain is so can be hidden if all goes wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

OMG yes! I have spent a good part of the last year sculpting a half-way decent model out of the Amodel Type 5 kit so I know this variant in and out - and I am speechless looking at what Clear Prop has done here. If the kit is half as good as this rendering it will still be very close to perfect, as John said. The accurate shape, the details, the canopy, prop and gunsight options, holy hell. This blows every other I-16 kit - any scale, any variant - out of the water.

EDIT: Seems like they even got the asymmetrical fin, wow.

Edited by ChristianK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ChristianK said:

the asymmetrical fin,

:hmmm: please explain as Ive an Amodel -5 in the stash. Do you mean offset or canted to one side counter the torque of the huge windmill out front ? Or is one side flat the other aerodynamic like a wing so it changes the airflow around the tail ? 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:hmmm: please explain as Ive an Amodel -5 in the stash. Do you mean offset or canted to one side counter the torque of the huge windmill out front ? Or is one side flat the other aerodynamic like a wing so it changes the airflow around the tail ? 

Yes, it's a slight offset to the port side. Massimo Tessitori documents it well on his site: https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/i16/details/structure/structure.htm

I have incorporated this into my Amodel kit by cutting off the fin and re-adjusting it at an angle (with a lot of Milliput and sanding fun afterwards). But to be honest: Don't build the Amodel kit. There is so much wrong and bad about it. And even though most of its faults can be corrected (thanks to Quickboost, Res-Kit, Falcon, Evergreen, Trumpeter and lots and lots of Milliput) there are two major problems which have beaten my patience:

1. The surface of the plastic is so grainy that you loose almost every detail while sanding it flush. Particularly affected by this are the ribs of the fabric-covered parts (which are moulded pretty poorly anyway). They will have to be reconstructed on the whole model afterwards - which is a very difficult and time-consuming task. Did not want to do it, now it bugs the hell out of me every time I look at the finished model.

2. I don't know how exactly to describe it in English, but the "hump" on the top of the fuselage between the cockpit and the tailfin is much too wide on the Amodel kit (and in almost all the other I-16 kits on the market as well). This creates some very noticable shape problems in the rear fuselage area. To correct this, you would have to remove and re-sculpt the "hump" as well as large parts of the fuselage upper side. No thank you! Thankfully, Clear Prop got this right (at least in the CAD renders).

I will buy and built the Clear Prop kit just to get peace of mind :D

BTW: The best rendition of the AII Green used by the earlier I-16 variants I could find is Vallejo Model Air 71.410 - and 71.414 Grey for the undersides. My struggle with the Amodel kit did save me some research time at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To my eye, the worst failing of both the ICM and Amodel kits is the too-plump fuselage, which affects the taper of the fuselage itself, and as a result, the taper of the cowling, too. Both kits have a cylindrical cowling with no taper at all. Correcting this is a major chore which is beyond the scope of this thread. I'm very happy to see Clear Prop!'s promise of a new and apparently accurate type 5; while I can imagine some possibility of using ICM wing and upper cowling parts to do a conversion to a type 10, I really hope CP continues farther into the I-16 lineage with at least a type 10, and possibly others. When it comes to details, the 10 has more in common with the later "types" than it does with the type 5, though.

John

• Like 1

Yes, you are right in case of the non-tapering cowling of the Amodel kit. But thankfully the diameter of the front cowling ring is sufficiently larger than the one of the fuselage, so you can get a tapered shape by thinning the rear ends of the cowling parts. Unfortunately (as the kit and the real plane are designed) this also demands a reshaping of the fuselage profile on the underside plus an almost total reconstruction of the cowling underside. I actually did this, but it has been a real chore. I really can't wait to see the a finished example of the Clear Prop kit.

• Like 2

I'm so glad we're going to get a truly modern tooling of the I-16 in 1/72. For a type that was so important to the VVS from 1939-onwards it has been sorely overlooked. I'd hope this would maybe lead to the tooling for the later types too. The Hasegawa is nicely detailed with good fit but basic. The ICM is better but its detail doesn't come across well in 1/72 and its fit is pretty poor. If CP get it right they could have the definitive line for the I-16.

• Like 2

I've removed the political comments from this thread as we have a zero tolerance for this sort of thing, no matter where in the world it is.  There are a bazillion places you can discuss politics until you turn into a polyp, so keep it off the forums.  Anyone failing to do so will be dealt with accordingly going forward.

Red text again, so people can't say they weren't warned or didn't see it. :shrug:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

OK, it seems ultimate kit is really comming :clap:. Now it also seems I  will need some ultimate publication and walkaround about I-16, because I have any knowledge about the type, versions, details etc. 😃 

That book would be a lifetime undertaking.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 18:59, John Thompson said:

A couple of new images; parts sets:

spacer.png

Box art for second release in Chinese markings, with PV-1 machine guns:

John

Source: ?  link ?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

47 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Source: ?  link ?

V.P.

These, and the canopy images, were sent to me by a contact at Clear Prop! via Facebook. He gave me permission to post them as I saw fit.

John

• Like 4

7 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

OK, it seems ultimate kit is really comming :clap:. Now it also seems I  will need some ultimate publication and walkaround about I-16, because I have any knowledge about the type, versions, details etc. 😃 

4 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Paging Mr. @Learstang! Mr @Learstang, we have a phone call for you...

5 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Until then, or until Mikhail Maslov's book(s) get translated into English, this will have to suffice:

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/i16/i16.htm

John

• Like 2

23 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Until then, or until Mikhail Maslov's book(s) get translated into English, this will have to suffice:

John

Even Maslov doesn't cover it all, especially from modellers point of view.

But things are being researched and published, hopefully they will become synthetised in a readable format.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, dragonlanceHR said:

But things are being researched and published, hopefully they will become synthetised in a readable format.

There's this, by Erik Pilawskii; I bought a copy when it was first published, and it has been useful. I had some problems with the way the drawings were presented, but I believe that might have been corrected in more recent editions:

http://www.redbanner.co.uk/Publish/I16PS/I16PS.html

John

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, John Thompson said:

3 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Hi all,

At the moment Massimo's pages are likely the best source for the different sub-types.

Probably best easily available source in English is Maslov's "King of Fighters ― Nikolay Polikarpov and his Aircraft Designs: Volume 2 - The Monoplane Era". There have been a couple of books in French and at least one of them has been available in English. Squadron-Signal in Action is quite simplistic.

There is a strong rumour that there is "an ultimate book of the I-16" under preparation in Russia. I donät know who/whom are the author/s.

About the ClearProp model. It is an excellent choice of subject espesially if they are doing the whole/most subtypes. All the earlier 1/72 models have left a lot of to desire. Later tip 5 and 10 aircraft were modified with RS-82 rockets for ground support which would need also new wing lower surfaces.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

News from Clear Prop - an image showing the decal sheets for these kits. Apparently CP are still doing their best to keep the lights on under current circumstances:

CP-I-16-decals.jpg

I see two kit numbers but three titles on these sheets:
- CP72023 - "I-16 type 5 1938 - 1941", and "I-16 type 5 In the Sky of Spain"
- CP72024 - "I-16 type 5 Early Version"

Nothing yet regarding a release date; I'm just glad they're still in business.

John

Edit - According to Piotr Mikolajski, the following are the correct designations:

72023 - I-16 Type 5 In the Sky of Spain

72024 - I-16 Type 5 Early Version

72025 - I-16 Type 5 1938-1941

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1