1/72nd & 1/48th - I-16 Type 5 by Clear Prop! Models

Tbolt

That's very good news, regardless of scale. The existing kits in both 1/72 and 1/48 are nothing spectacular, especially considering that the aircraft in the artwork is a type 5. In 1/72, the only type 5 is the Amodel, one of their first releases, and a far cry from even Amodel's current standards, not to mention that it has the same fuselage and cowling shape errors as the ICM 1/72 I-16's. So bring it on, Clear Prop, in both scales, I hope!

John

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

That's very good news, regardless of scale. The existing kits in both 1/72 and 1/48 are nothing spectacular, especially considering that the aircraft in the artwork is a type 5. In 1/72, the only type 5 is the Amodel, one of their first releases, and a far cry from even Amodel's current standards, not to mention that it has the same fuselage and cowling shape errors as the ICM 1/72 I-16's. So bring it on, Clear Prop, in both scales, I hope!

John

Agree with could do with it in both scales.

Recap from the current ClearProp projects

51820052531-93fe98ab4c-b.jpg

- Polikarpov I-16 family - 1/72 & 1/48 - thread

- Airco DH.9/9A & Polikarpov R-1 - thread

- Blackburn Firebrand Mk.V - 1/72 thread & 1/48 thread

- Kaman UH-2/SH-2 Seasprite - 1/72 thread & 1/48 thread

- Sukhoi Su-25 & UB "Frogfoot-A & B" - 1/72 thread

- Curtiss Hawk Model 75/P-36 - 1/72 thread & 1/48 thread

- Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-23ML family "Flogger-G & K" - 1/72 thread

- Sud-Aviation SA.321 Super Frelon - 1/72 thread

Missing

- Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Gudkov LaGG-3 - 1/72  thread

- Grumman E-1B Tracer - 1/72 thread

- Dassault Mystère IIC -  1/72 thread (rumour only !)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Tbolt changed the title to 1/72nd & 1/48th - I-16 Type 5 by Clear Prop! Models

Any time I see a model company design their kits so parts mate along legit panel lines I have to applaud them and from the wing on sprue that seems to be the case.  I realize this seems to be a low bar but it is a pet peeve of mine so thank you Clear Prop for your good work here.  I really welcome this great news from Clear Prop.  Looks like they will have some stunningly good products coming out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Any time I see a model company design their kits so parts mate along legit panel lines I have to applaud them and from the wing on sprue that seems to be the case.  I realize this seems to be a low bar but it is a pet peeve of mine so thank you Clear Prop for your good work here.  I really welcome this great news from Clear Prop.  Looks like they will have some stunningly good products coming out!

I hate to say it, but the I-16 had no panel line there; in fact, because of its wood laminate construction, it had very few panel lines anywhere. Not all aircraft had wing root joints covered by wing root fairings like the Spitfire (for one example) does. The I-16 was constructed with the fuselage and wing roots as one piece, right out to the inner end of the ailerons. This false panel line is a notable error in the ICM 1/48 I-16 (but not in ICM's 1/72 and 1/32 "Ishaks"); I've also seen the occasional build where someone decided that the absence of a wing root fairing must be an error, and went to the trouble of scribing one in!

This should help - here's a drawing which shows the construction of various parts of the I-16; it's a type 4, but building methods were consistent right through the series of types:

Structure.jpg

To be honest, my preference is for what CP seem to have done - put the joint in the middle of a panel, so you can simply fill it, sand it, and it's done - no rescribing needed. But to each his own!

John

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

A new 1/72 I-16 Type 5 will do quite nicely, thank you! A must have type for anyone building a selection of Spanish Civil War aircraft.

Wonder if they might do an I-15 in 1/72? The ICM one is a bit of a challenge.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thank you, Homebee - that is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous!!! If it's not perfect, it's damn close! It even has the gun sight! It looks to me like Clear Prop! have avoided the subtle errors of the Amodel and ICM kits - the fuselage and cowling seem to have the correct taper. Hello, Clear Prop!? You can start me off with half a dozen, please!!! :yahoo:

John

• Like 3