Airfix AW159 Wildcat AH/HMA ?

71chally

This is rumour material of the utmost degree, but Airfix have posted on Facebook a picture of Wildcats in the fog at Yeovilton as a quiz of what the types are.

Of course Airfix could be there for other reasons (FAAM on site), but wouldn't a 1:48 Wildcat AH/HMA be a great future release!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gavingav1 said:

i would like to see a kit but maybe there just isn't enough interest in this type as less than 100 have been built , first flew 2009, in service since 2014 and not a single kit in any scale,

Air Graphics offers a conversion for the Hobbyboss Lynx in 1:72 scale.

Edited by troschi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

This is rumour material of the utmost degree,(...)

I wouldn't even have dared. :D

The Airfix link to the Wildcats in the mist

https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270/10159587275151271

Does this mean that they've sent a team to Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm air base or/and Museum ?

A 1/48th Gannet to put alongside their Sea Vixen and Buccaneer ? 🙃

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gavingav1 said:

i would like to see a kit but maybe there just isn't enough interest in this type as less than 100 have been built , first flew 2009, in service since 2014 and not a single kit in any scale,

There's plenty of interest in types with less than 100 built - even types that never flew except as a sheet of paper... 

Perhaps if they added WHIF Luftwaffe markings.....:rofl2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

On 14/01/2022 at 11:00, 71chally said:

This is rumour material of the utmost degree, but Airfix have posted on Facebook a picture of Wildcats in the fog at Yeovilton as a quiz of what the types are.

Of course Airfix could be there for other reasons (FAAM on site), but wouldn't a 1:48 Wildcat AH/HMA be a great future release!

If love a 48th wildcat, sporty little helicopter :)

22 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

A 1/48 Gannet would be most welcome.

Most certainly! 

20 hours ago, DonH said:

Do they have a Sea Harrier anywhere near there?

There is an FA2 in the hangar on the south side of the airfield, as wel Las one as a gate guardian. There is also an FRS1 in the museum. 

• Like 1

Just this morning airfix have posted a photo of the Sea Harrier FA2 that is a gate gaurd at Yeovilton.

fb://photo/10159590939781271?set=a.80699376270&sfnsn=scwspmo

They've clearly been "inside the wire" at VL, I can only assume for research.

That means it could be any Fleet Air Arm jet, from the top of my head, I recall they have the following helicopters;

Wildcat (operational)

Merlin Mk4 (operational) 

Wessex

Sea King

Lynx HAS3

Whirlwind

Dragonfly

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Wessex

Considering the amount of badgering they've been subjected to ever since commissioning the boxart for the FAA FG.1... I would not be surprised if they did that one soon(ish).

• Like 1

Seeing as this is, after all, the Rumourmonger, and given that I am a bit of an FAA fan, let's have some fun...

The assumptions are the following;

• Airfix were on a research trip,
  • They will make a new tool kit,
  • It is most likely to be something not currently in service,
  • They are unlikely to tool something already in production,
  • It's almost certainly going to be 1/72 or 1/48.

Here below is a list of every aircraft at Yeovilton that they could be making and reasons for/against;

Jets

Blackburn Buccaneer S2 - Current in 1/72 and 1/48

MD Phantom FG1 - We have this in 1/72, it's unlikely to come out in 48th, although this is a possibility (however, I assume they have all the research from their 72nd).

Supermarine Attacker - Not exactly the most appealing jet, but possible in 1/72, Trumpeter already do a 48th version.

Supermarine Scimitar - Neither a 1/72 or 1/48 model as of yet (excluding the short run hard to find stuff).

Hawker Sea Hawk - Hobbyboss do a 72nd kit and Trumpeter a 48th.

De Havilland Sea Venom - Cyber Hobby do a dodgy 72nd kit, Classic Airframes did a 48th kit that is rare as anything.

De Havilland Sea Vixen - Revell and Special Hobby have 72nd kits, Airfix did the 48th (they might release the old tool eventually).

Sea Harrier FRS1 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Kinetic in 48th.

Sea Harrier FA2 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Kinetic in 48th.

Harrier Gr7/9 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Haegawa (plus Hobby 2000) in 48th

Props

Sopwith Pup - Classic 72nd Airfix kit (possible retool), Eduard did this in 48th ages ago.

Sopwith Triplane - Revell 1/72, Eduard 1/48.

Sopwith Camel - Revell have this covered.

Hawker Sea Fury FB11 - Possibly in 72nd?

Supermarine Spitfire XVIII - Sword 72nd and Airfix 48th.

Fairey Swordfish - Airfix do this in 72nd, therefore I assume the research has been done, Tamiya do the 48th kit regardless.

Fairey Fulmar - Only ancient kits in 72nd, Special Hobby do a 48th kit.

Fairey Albacore - MPM did a 72nd kit and Trumpeter do a 48th kit.

Fairey Firefly - An Airfix classic in 72 (perhaps retooling it?), Special Hobby do the 48th kit.

Douglas Skyraider - Sword 72nd, Italeri 48th.

F4F Wildcat - Airfix do 72nd and Eduard 48th.

F4U Corsair - Tamiya have this covered.

F6F Hellcat - Eduard have this covered.

Grumman Avenger - a couple options in both scales, although Airfix produced a classic 72nd kit, maybe they'd retool it?

Turboprops

Fairey Gannet - Yes please! (Revell do a 72nd kit that's hard to get hold of, there is no 48th kit in real terms).

Westland Wyvern - Trumpeter have this covered, the museum has a TF2, not a production variant.

Helicopters

Westland Wessex - Revell do this in 72nd and Academy/Italeri in 48th, but I think HU5 in 72nd is a possibility!

Westland Dragonfly - Only the AMP kits in 72nd or 48th, although I'm not sure Airfix would tool it anyway

Westland Lynx (HAS3) - HobbyBoss do this in 72nd, Airfix aready do the 48th HMA8

Westland Seaking - Airfix 72nd, hard to get in 48th.

Westland Gazelle - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), there is a new tool 48th coming out soon.

Westland Wasp - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), no specific kit in 48th (conversion required).

Westland Whirlwind - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), AMP are making a 48th kit, altohugh I don't think this includes the drooped tail boom.

AgustaWestland EH101 Merlin Mk 4 - No kits in either scale (Airfix did the RAF HC3 in 48th).

AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat - No kits in either scale.

If my assumptions are correct, Airfix must be producing something mentioned above. Now that leaves us with a few kits; I would suggest the most likely kits are;

1/72

• Westland Wessex HU5
  • Supermarine Scimitar
  • Fairey Gannet
  • Grumman Avenger
  • Fairey Fulmar
  • Westland Whirlwind

1/48

• Supermarine Scimitar
  • Fairey Gannet
  • Westland Wasp
  • DH Sea Venom
  • Fairey Fulmar

If I had to bet on it, I would say a 1/72 Wessex HU5 - it comes in plenty of marking options and is an absolute classic British aircraft.

If I allowed my wishlist to creep into the decision, it'd be the 1/48th Fairey Gannet!

No doubt I will be proven totally wrong haha 😂

As another Fleet Air Arm enthusiast, I'm sure @mahavelona will have an opinion 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

• A certain Airfix Decal Designer was on the trip
  • Photo's of tea and cake were posted on FB
  • Bandai recently released a 1:1 scale Nissin Pot Noodle
  • Airfix will respond with an Afternoon Tea set including Earl Grey in best china with a slice of Lemon Drizzle
  • This will be followed by a second release with Lapsang Souchong and Carrot Cake
  • Airfix have declined to release the much requested Darjeeling with Scone due to conflicting references on whether the Jam or the Cream goes on first.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 20

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Props

Trumpeter from 2005 is still available and quite good.

Special Hobby released new 1/72 kit in 2009.

Special Hobby announced new tool kit last year, IIRC.

Turboprops

Fairey Gannet - Yes please! (Revell do a 72nd kit that's hard to get hold of, there is no 48th kit in real terms).

Trumpeter released AS.1/AS.4 and T.2 in 2006, Sword released AEW.3 in 2015.

Helicopters

Westland Wessex - Revell do this in 72nd and Academy/Italeri in 48th, but I think HU5 in 72nd is a possibility!

Italeri released Wessex in 1/72, both HAS.3 and HU.5.

AgustaWestland EH101 Merlin Mk 4 - No kits in either scale (Airfix did the RAF HC3 in 48th).

HAS.1, HMA.1 and HC.3 were released by Italeri in 1/72, HMA.1 and HC.3 were reboxed by Revell.

• Like 1

I wonder why a Wildcat if Airfix are re-releasing their 1:48 Lynx HMA8 this year? After all apart from the rear fuselage and engines there's a fair deal of parts shared between the two types (that's why all Lynx were stripped of usable parts for the Wildcat project at Middle Wallop).

Thinks: Airfix couldn't be saving on tooling by re-working the Lynx tool, could they?  and the re-release is your last chance for a HMA8 before the tool becomes the Wildcat.  

6 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I wonder why a Wildcat if Airfix are re-releasing their 1:48 Lynx HMA8 this year? After all apart from the rear fuselage and engines there's a fair deal of parts shared between the two types (that's why all Lynx were stripped of usable parts for the Wildcat project at Middle Wallop).

Thinks: Airfix couldn't be saving on tooling by re-working the Lynx tool, could they?  and the re-release is your last chance for a HMA8 before the tool becomes the Wildcat.  

Externally, the only same parts are the Main Rotor Blades, undercarriage (I think - although, maybe the wheels changed), windscreen and the cowl overhead the canopy.

I would be surprised if Airfix did announce an AW159 in any scale, it's relatively new in service and is only just getting it's teeth (weapons wise). It's also not yet had the chance to serve in a conflict (unlike the Lynx and Merlin).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2022 at 8:45 PM, wellsprop said:

I would be surprised if Airfix did announce an AW159 in any scale, it's relatively new in service and is only just getting it's teeth (weapons wise). It's also not yet had the chance to serve in a conflict (unlike the Lynx and Merlin).

Notwithstanding the points you raise, I’d still love to see a new-tool Wildcat AW159 in 1/72 scale. The Lynx is pretty well covered in 1/72 from prototype through to HMA8 and SuperLynx. The Wildcat is all we need to complete the series!

BM.

• Like 1

There is also a FAA Vought Corsair, a Walrus and Hunter T8 at Yeovilton, not that these are necessarily the targets, but Airfix don’t have a Corsair in their catalogue of new tools, nor a 1/72 Walrus ( now that they have broken the downscaling rule). 

72nd scale shipbuilders would cherish a Wildcat model, I`m sure.

Type 45 and Type 26 both available from Fleetscale in 72nd.

The more people see Wildcat on their teleboxes over the next twenty years, the more sense it makes for airfix to produce one now.

:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4scourge7 said:

The more people see Wildcat on their teleboxes over the next twenty years, the more sense it makes for airfix to produce one now.

:)

Exactly. If Airfix get in early with a 1/72 AW159 kit, they'll probably corner the market for quite a while.

They also potentially have two options with their current Lynx mould.

1. Re-release the AH1 Army Lynx in their "Classics" line as it was the only decent Army Lynx available, although not 100% accurate for a production-standard British Army Lynx. Feel free to include some decals for the Qatar Police Lynx too! 👍

2. Tidy up the tool with new, correctly-shaped lower windows forward of the pilot's doors. Then add an additional sprue to make a Mk7 and Mk9 Lynx (although re-tooling for a Mk9A might be a stretch too far). That would be sure to generate some good sales from an existing mould. They no doubt enjoyed some reasonable sales with their Lynx HMA 8 when released a few years ago. 

BM.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 9:07 AM, wellsprop said:

Seeing as this is, after all, the Rumourmonger, and given that I am a bit of an FAA fan, let's have some fun...

Here below is a list of every aircraft at Yeovilton that they could be making and reasons for/against;

Jets

Blackburn Buccaneer S2 - Current in 1/72 and 1/48

MD Phantom FG1 - We have this in 1/72, it's unlikely to come out in 48th, although this is a possibility (however, I assume they have all the research from their 72nd).

Supermarine Attacker - Not exactly the most appealing jet, but possible in 1/72, Trumpeter already do a 48th version.

Supermarine Scimitar - Neither a 1/72 or 1/48 model as of yet (excluding the short run hard to find stuff).

Hawker Sea Hawk - Hobbyboss do a 72nd kit and Trumpeter a 48th.

De Havilland Sea Venom - Cyber Hobby do a dodgy 72nd kit, Classic Airframes did a 48th kit that is rare as anything.

De Havilland Sea Vixen - Revell and Special Hobby have 72nd kits, Airfix did the 48th (they might release the old tool eventually).

Sea Harrier FRS1 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Kinetic in 48th.

Sea Harrier FA2 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Kinetic in 48th.

Harrier Gr7/9 - Airfix do this in 72nd and Haegawa (plus Hobby 2000) in 48th

Props

Sopwith Pup - Classic 72nd Airfix kit (possible retool), Eduard did this in 48th ages ago.

Sopwith Triplane - Revell 1/72, Eduard 1/48.

Sopwith Camel - Revell have this covered.

Supermarine Spitfire XVIII - Sword 72nd and Airfix 48th.

Fairey Swordfish - Airfix do this in 72nd, therefore I assume the research has been done, Tamiya do the 48th kit regardless.

Fairey Firefly - An Airfix classic in 72 (perhaps retooling it?), Special Hobby do the 48th kit.

Douglas Skyraider - Sword 72nd, Italeri 48th.

F4F Wildcat - Airfix do 72nd and Eduard 48th.

F4U Corsair - Tamiya have this covered.

F6F Hellcat - Eduard have this covered.

Grumman Avenger - a couple options in both scales, although Airfix produced a classic 72nd kit, maybe they'd retool it?

Turboprops

Westland Wyvern - Trumpeter have this covered, the museum has a TF2, not a production variant.

Helicopters

Westland Dragonfly - Only the AMP kits in 72nd or 48th, although I'm not sure Airfix would tool it anyway

Westland Lynx (HAS3) - HobbyBoss do this in 72nd, Airfix aready do the 48th HMA8

Westland Seaking - Airfix 72nd, hard to get in 48th.

Westland Gazelle - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), there is a new tool 48th coming out soon.

Westland Wasp - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), no specific kit in 48th (conversion required).

Westland Whirlwind - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), AMP are making a 48th kit, altohugh I don't think this includes the drooped tail boom.

AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat - No kits in either scale.

Jets

Supermarine Attacker - The Trumpeter Attacker is pretty crap in terms of accuracy but this is definitely a subject with limited appeal, although Pakistan had some. AZ Models has a kit in 1/72 and there’s the Frogspawn kit.

Supermarine Scimitar - Should be a candidate but I’d guess 1/72 is more likely from Airfix 

De Havilland Sea Venom - This would be a good follow-on to the new Vampire.

Sea Harrier FRS1 - TBH, the old ESCI FRS.1 is better than the Airfix kit in 1/72. This is such an iconic aircraft, there’s that word again, that I could see Airfix doing one in 1/48. How recognisable is the Kinetic brand in the UK?

Sea Harrier FA2 - If Airfix did a new 1/48 FRS.1, the FA.2 is a no brained.

Harrier Gr7/9 - The Hasegawa 1/48 kit is not readily available and expensive in the UK. Airfix will do this at some point.

Props

Sopwith Triplane - Revell 1/72, Eduard 1/48. - ancient and/or long OOP kits. Airfix has not shown much interest in 1/48 WWI aircraft though.

Sopwith Camel - Eduard’s new kit in 1/48 is superb, but there is no decent 1/72 Camel.

Supermarine Spitfire XVIII - Airfix need a 1/72 Mk XIV before they do the XVIII

Fairey Swordfish - 1/24th scale candidate?

Fairey Fulmar - This is a good candidate for a new 1/72 scale kit

Fairey Albacore - The Trumpeter 1/48th kit is crap, there is the Special Hobby 1/48th kit but this is a pretty niche subject.

Fairey Firefly - I could see Airfix doing a 1/72 Mk.I, leaving their Mk.V for Vintage Classics boxings

Douglas Skyraider - Sword 72nd, Italeri 48th. Also: Hasegawa, Tsukuda/Hobbycraft, Fujimi in 1/72; Tamiya, Revell/Matchbox, Monogram in 1/48th

F4F Wildcat - Airfix do 72nd and Eduard 48th. Also: Arma Hobby sets the standard in 1/72 but there is also the Hasegawa kit. Tamiya and HobbyBoss are options in 1/48th and there is the forthcoming Academy kit.

F4U Corsair - Tamiya have this covered. Also: Tamiya have the -1s covered in 1/72 and 1/48th. There are no really accurate kits of the -4s in 1/72 or 1/48. I guess I’d go with HobbyBoss for a 1/48 -4 over Hasegawa or Academy and the Revell 1/72 kit over the one by Italeri. For the -5,-7,and AU-1 it’s Hasegawa in 1:48 and there are no good 1/72 kits of these variants.

Grumman Avenger - a new 1/72 kit is needed. Surprised it hasn’t already been done but maybe Flyhawk has it as a follow-on to their Dauntless.

Turboprops

Fairey Gannet - Yes please!. Also there’s the Trumpeter kit in 1/72 that is quite good. The only 1/48th kits are the Dynavector vacform and the Classic Airframes short run kit. Both are long OOP.

Helicopters

Westland Gazelle - Classic 72nd Airfix (possible retool?), there is a new tool 48th coming out soon. - The AMP kit is already out but, of course, it’s made in Ukraine.