NASA F/A-18B - Kinetic 1/48

zebra

I'm building the Kinetic kit as a NASA F/A-18B using Fightertown decals. Apart from the decals the only aftermarket I'm using will be Eduard seat belts and masks but I'm also going to 3D-print a QTEP (Quick Test Experimental Pod) to go under the wing. I'm also going to need to print decals for the QTEP and for the serials and codes for the specific aircraft that carried it, as it's not on the Fightertown sheet. 

This is the QTEP:

284527main_DSC_5875c_800-600.jpg

and in action over the Mojave desert:

561060main_ED11-0165-15_full.jpg

I've made a start today - done some basic assembly of seats and cockpit and sprayed some primer at a few parts. I'll post photos when there's more to see. I might also get a test print of the QTEP done this weekend.

cheers

Julian

• Like 12

What a fantastic choice Julian, the Hornet looks great in the NASA scheme and the fact that you are making your own QTEP pod and decals for it make it even more interesting to watch. Beware the Kinetic kit though, it can be very "interesting" at times, I have tried to point some out in my build.

• Thanks 1

I assume that you’re very happy making your own decals and they’re probably better than Hasegawa’s decals usually are. But I just thought I’d say that I have their NASA Hornet kit that I won’t build as a NASA aircraft and I think that it’s 852. If the decals are in a fit state than you’re welcome to have them.

Ah, a bit embarrassing, I’ve just got home, been in the loft and opened the kit and inside are some decals for a US Marine aircraft. Very sorry about that. I’m sure your own decals will be a lot better anyway.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Beware the Kinetic kit though, it can be very "interesting" at times, I have tried to point some out in my build.

Thanks, I'll take a look at your build. I've built it before, can't remember its foibles but seem to recall that the intakes were a little tricky and only attaching them to the outer intake parts and not the inside of the fuselage was the way to go.

10 hours ago, Filler said:

I assume that you’re very happy making your own decals and they’re probably better than Hasegawa’s decals usually are. But I just thought I’d say that I have their NASA Hornet kit that I won’t build as a NASA aircraft and I think that it’s 852. If the decals are in a fit state than you’re welcome to have them.

Ah, a bit embarrassing, I’ve just got home, been in the loft and opened the kit and inside are some decals for a US Marine aircraft. Very sorry about that. I’m sure your own decals will be a lot better anyway.

No worries! I think printing them (actually getting them printed in this case) will be a lot quicker than the mail from Stockport anyway! I've got a few custom decals to do for upcoming builds, and I tend to draw a job lot at once and get them printed by a good printer I've used before, so it'll be part of that.

• Like 2

I've been slowly progressing with the Hornet and not taking photos. Here's where I'm up to - some basic assembly done, basic work done on the cockpit (canopy will be closed so not going to a lot of effort here) and I've printed the QTEP:

Hornet WIP

This has reminded me of the one aspect of the Kinetic kit that I really didn't like last time I built one - the fit of the intakes and the related gap between the forward and rear parts of the lower fuselage half. The fit of the intakes to the fuselage is vague. And on this one - and I had this problem with the last one as well - the forward and rear parts of the lower fuselage, which ought to line up nicely around the intake lip, don't want to meet, leaving the gap that's visible in the photo. I think the best thing to do here is not to glue the back of the intake lip to the intake trunk, but to try to line everything up when I attach the upper fuselage. That's the plan for now anyway.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Coming along nicely Julian.

I left the trunking out of my Hornet and still had trouble getting the intakes to look anything like they were meant to fit.

I wonder which kit's intakes are going to fit better - this or the Bison that's sharing the workbench with it?

• Like 1

More progress and a bit more frustration. Fuselage is closed up, wings are on, nose is attached. I don't remember the fit being quite as bad last time I built one of these. There are a few steps around the nose, and big gaps under the LERX. Sigh.

Hornet WIP

Another small error in the instructions - the instructions would have you fit the decking behind the 2nd seat (the flat-ish black part) before the fuselage goes together. That won't work as it sits on top of two tabs in the upper fuselage part. Verily easily fixed but another example of the sloppy errors in Kinetic's instructions.

More soon. Maybe. I'm feeling a bit more enthusiasm for the Privateer and Bison that are sharing the bench with the Hornet at the moment!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, zebra said:

another example of the sloppy errors in Kinetic's instructions.

There are quite a few unfortunately aren't there mate, definitely the worst instructions on any modern kit that I have come across.

You are doing a great job on knocking her into shape despite Kinetic's best efforts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress - getting closer to the painting stage. This kit isn't doing a lot for my mojo but I'm pressing on so as to get it off the bench to make room for other things! It's also been feeding the carpet monster quite enthusiastically - I think the HUD is lost for good!

Hornet WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This one's gone on the shelf of doom. It was sapping my mojo too much, and I just need to do something different to get some modelling runs on the board. So I've just started a Chengdu F-7BG Fishcan in the MiG-21 group build. Best of luck to everyone with your Hornet builds!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 26/02/2022 at 17:45, zebra said:

This one's gone on the shelf of doom. It was sapping my mojo too much, and I just need to do something different to get some modelling runs on the board. So I've just started a Chengdu F-7BG Fishcan in the MiG-21 group build. Best of luck to everyone with your Hornet builds!

One GB’s loss is another’s gain! Sad to see the Hornet parked but excited to see the F-7 rise.

• Thanks 1