Admiral Graf Spee. Academy 1/350

Faraway

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think you've had a win with those wood decks.

Jeff.

Most definitely, I shall try and get them for other builds. Only problem is, the only place I’ve found so far that sell them, is from your neck of the woods in Melbourne. BNA Model World. And I believe that the ones I have “Artwox” have ceased trading.

Jon

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Great work on the camouflage. How did you apply it? paintbrush, or masking followed by airbrush?

I did consider masking and spraying, but the areas were so small that I doubted I would be able to mask it properly, so I resorted to a paint brush. It came out ok, not as good as spraying, but acceptable.

Jon

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Boydie said:

You don't hang about do you?

We’ve been having the Sitting Room decorated, so haven’t been able to do much else. But that’s finished now, so need to put all the furniture back. That’ll slow up my progress for a couple of days.

Jon

• Like 1

The name plate has arrived from 'Name It!' http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/ they are really good, and not too expensive.

p?i=05863399f44f049dc71b7093a8b142a5

I've been working on the funnel today, I replaced the plastic mast with a brass one because the plastic one is too short, I've also added some brass wire to the PE yardarms, to stiffen them up. I stuck them with CA, which I think is going to be problem when I come to add the rigging, so I might solder them later. No idea why I didn't use solder to begin with :doh:.............pillock.

p?i=96d46bb56f8555485281231ab76d952e

As you can see I've added the search lights, railing and 20mm guns, they are the ones I got from Black Cat Models https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/ very excellent 3D printed examples.

As you can see, they are worlds away from the kit supplied examples. That's one on top of the funnel.

Jon

p?i=572b33189c2f0481495e5775a9a9b8eb

• Like 12

I seem to be doing lots of little bits, but on the whole all the little additions are slowly adding more and more detail. A typical ship build, lots of subassemblies.

Anyway, these are the 37mm guns, top one from Black Cat (which is made up from three parts) and the kit offering (two parts) below. Seems to me Academy couldn't have put in less detail, even if they'd tried.

All praise for 3D printing.

p?i=578eb6bb64d5d3ee3b9471fa895873ed

And here they are on deck.

p?i=9220a17a38d03149b6e4a5fa697bf112

As much as I'm enjoying this project, its not half as much fun as HMS Mourne was. I think I'm being converted to resin kits.

Jon

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

I do wonder quite what they were thinking with the atrocious aa guns in the kit, maybe they figured they'll get replaced anyway, just seems odd, 

I think the kit came out in 2009, and is not hugely expensive, but I think they should have made a better effort with the guns.

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

But I reckon your wallet will be cringing at the that thought 💰💰💰

Stuart

Yeah but, no but.

When you consider what the cost of a standard plastic kit is, then add extra PE and 3D parts. A good resin kit tends to have all these ‘extras’ included, and the resin kits I’ve done, are produced by small suppliers, Starling, Black Cat, Atlantic and they tend to be more accurate, and also be models of more obscure and unusual subjects. 
Jon

• Like 3

Been a bit distracted of late, so have been a bit remiss on posting my progress. Which to be honest, is now fitting tiny detail pieces and railings.

This is the latest sub-assembly.

The pillar on the left is the support for the aircraft catapult, this, I will fit after this assembly is on the deck and the lifeboat deck is fitted between this assembly and the one forward of it.

The catapult I will fit, but probably not the aircraft, as I am showing the ship just before it was 'sunk', I believe the aircraft was not present.

One thing I have discovered about wooden decks, is they are a sponge to CA glue. So trying to fit the railings can be a bit of a trial as the glue disappears before I can get the railing in position.

Jon

p?i=df87a8f92c5b742b4e51ed8f3cf5aebc

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

The catapult I will fit, but probably not the aircraft, as I am showing the ship just before it was 'sunk', I believe the aircraft was not present.

Gidday Jon, I've seen a photo of the ship at Montevideo after the battle. The aircraft was on the catapult but burnt out. I don't know if it was removed before she sailed again on her one-way trip to her destiny.

There's some very good detail on that aft superstructure. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, I've seen a photo of the ship at Montevideo after the battle. The aircraft was on the catapult but burnt out. I don't know if it was removed before she sailed again on her one-way trip to her destiny.

There's some very good detail on that aft superstructure. Regards, Jeff.

I will investigate further, or maybe just add the aeroplane. I will add a splash of colour, to a very grey ship.

Jon

• Like 1

I think one Arado aircraft was jettisoned prior to the River Plate battle after becoming irreparable (at the same time the disguise was removed). I know she could carry two, but ships often didn't carry their full loadout and I thought (don't know why, I've never checked or researched it) she only carried the one during this sortie.

Unless it was blown overboard or mangled beyond recognition, I can't see it in pictures after the scuttling (the dolly is empty anyway). However, a bit of internet sleuthing shows I was wrong about only 1 aircraft (or the jettisoning), as I believe this is the picture @ArnoldAmbrose is referring to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_196 (under operational history). Well, you learn something new every day!

1b47cad5-8916-45fe-8c5d-c21163278a28.jpg

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's all the superstructure fitted to the decks, still got some yardarms to fit to the bridge tower and I might replace the aft mast with a brass one, 'cos I think it'll bend when rigged. 

So, torpedo tubes to fit aft, and then more 20mm guns. I had to buy some more from Black Cat as I didn't count the four on the funnel. :doh:

Then rigging and aerials wires to make and fit, then railings.

One quick question though.

Is it alright to fly a flag with a swastika on ?

Jon

p?i=acd3ec81f42c6901649ee4f684807c3e

p?i=ce29fdca775da88eca186942123a6b99

p?i=10414ef6c2d437d873dd3d7461e542e8

• Like 8