Admiral Graf Spee. Academy 1/350

Faraway

I was wandering around all my favourite places on 'the web',(model suppliers, in other words) when I came across Peter Halls, Atlantic Models, stash clearance. And what do I spy, but this kit, I thought it's about time a did something bigger than Sir Gareth or HMS Mourne, so I was very tempted, especially as it came with a wooden deck and lots of lovely WEM PE.

Anyway, one thing led to another, so to speak and here we are.

p?i=16a48f77e737a01fbe1dfc364b968237

Never done a wooden deck, but I 'spect I'll figure it out.

I did find a video done by Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies, which was really helpful.

p?i=a2c96343fe3575467c822933cfebacbc

p?i=1fc7e1c947edaef1b365a3abaab4922b

As explained by Peter, it was used as a template for making PE, so some of it is already assembled. The hull has been cut down for a waterline display, which I did consider doing but decided against it.

p?i=abc357840c252212663b13a811ab8e3a

p?i=208688566fe632a31c98119487a33070

The two square holes are to allow me to screw it to the base I've made.

p?i=803a20db010be8cbddfc9174bd34e4b0

So, onto the progress so far.....

p?i=2604a9c3e11046cb563835d01ca6dfeb

p?i=a6a359d076c0447f4d786f7bb449e541

p?i=2cbd357dce811032cdea626effe915cf

p?i=ee34ef7350f7b0ad8157f6ee46816acc

Once the painting of the hull is complete, I'll screw it to the wooden base and carry on with the build. I found that when I built HMS Mourne, it was much easier to work on having the wooden base to handle it, rather than the model itself.

Also, as the smaller guns are a bit chunky, I've ordered some 3D printed ones from Black Cat Models, which should improve things.

Jon

• Like 16

I shall be following on for sure Jon, as you know I've this one in the cupboard as well but with different etch, she's a while a way on my build list though so i look forward to living vicariously through your build log, 

Sam

• Like 1

Hey great stuff Jon! I'll follow along if you don't mind - I got the kit recently, and am thinking the WE PE might be the best match for budget and possibly skill level (I'm a complete newby when it comes to ships)!

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

A lazy Sunday morning.

I've added the 'bow wave' and attached the hull to the base. Now is the time that I will be fitting the wooden deck.

This is going to be a first, and considering how difficult these wooden decks are to get hold of, and the cost, it might be my first AND last.

Wish me luck.

Jon

p?i=6ecf2117370b3eabe4d3d1e7578f87bb

• Like 8

6 hours ago, agyoung33 said:

the WE PE might be the best match for budget

The PE I have here, which is the WEM set, comes in two gauges, the thinner is mainly railings etc and the thicker all the rest. It does make the railings VERY delicate, so I think, will present a bit of a challenge.

Jon

• Like 1

My first ever piece of wooden deck is on, in hindsight I probably should have painted the bollards black, if they are black. Not sure about that, will have to have a look around.

But, it's on and looks pretty good.

Jon

p?i=ab26c4d662ed3167565bd11b397ab3b3

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

My first ever piece of wooden deck is on, in hindsight I probably should have painted the bollards black, if they are black. Not sure about that, will have to have a look around.

But, it's on and looks pretty good.

Jon

p?i=ab26c4d662ed3167565bd11b397ab3b3

Jon , may I suggest something? Instead of painting "pure black" I would try rather very dark grey for example Panzer Grau or tyre's colour and /or then give hint of somewhat lighter (or metallic - pencil graphite, steel pigment and so on) drybrush which will enlight edges. It will give far more realistic and just aestethically better effect.  In my opinion black is too "heavy" and contrast colour for our tiny, small ships.

Regads,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

Painted the turrets and superstructure and added the wood to the super superstructure decks.

Next will be the camo pattern, then finish building the bridge tower.

p?i=bf9db42656f2590d5da013246d59030a

Then, I suppose, I'll have to bite the bullet and fit the main deck planking. 

As you can see, it's one single piece. But given how easy and how well the other bits have gone on, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

p?i=cf7726a5fe0544842a1ccc1fc51eded5

I'm pondering whether I need to 'weather' these wooden decks, or leave them as there are ?

Jon

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Painted the turrets and superstructure and added the wood to the super superstructure decks.

Next will be the camo pattern, then finish building the bridge tower.

p?i=bf9db42656f2590d5da013246d59030a

Then, I suppose, I'll have to bite the bullet and fit the main deck planking. 

As you can see, it's one single piece. But given how easy and how well the other bits have gone on, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

p?i=cf7726a5fe0544842a1ccc1fc51eded5

I'm pondering whether I need to 'weather' these wooden decks, or leave them as there are ?

Jon

I suppose it depends how you want to display the ship? But if you do want to weather it, practice on excess bits. It's very easy to ruin a wooden deck with very little effort.

• Like 1

it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That's done it.

As to weathering, my way of thinking is, if it's going on pedestals, keep it clean and if it's destined for a sea base... Your build, your choice.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Jon, how were the seams on the superstructure, I've knocked some of mine up and found several will want bit of  attention, wasn't sure if that was my kit or more of a manufacturing issue,

A lot of the superstructure was already assembled, but the joins were not spectacular, and that wasn’t the fault of whoever assembled them. On the whole the moulding is ok, but some filler is needed.

Jon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boydie said:

I suppose it depends how you want to display the ship? But if you do want to weather it, practice on excess bits. It's very easy to ruin a wooden deck with very little effort.

There is a lot of wood to practice on, but as she will be on a brass pedestals I’ll not touch the deck.

Jon

• Like 2

A lot of the superstructure was already assembled, but the joins were not spectacular, and that wasn’t the fault of whoever assembled them. On the whole the moulding is ok, but some filler is needed.

Jon

Not just me then, IMO academy looks better proportioned than rhe trumpy kit albeit with tradeoffs, 

Yours is coming along nicely 

• Like 1

Moving along now.

The wooden main deck is on and fitted perfectly.

p?i=4953d86a45bf266c83e9c30bb57e9ee3

The main parts of the superstructure with their camo.

p?i=24c74d72ee6a23d2fad71b3608f4e04a

And dry fitted to the deck.

p?i=e05bb8aab82723d839c222b96244d449

• Like 14