Nostalgia Build - 1/48 Monogram Bf-109G-10

Hi all – I’m on a bit of a ‘bent’ for older kits at the moment. As such, I present my first completion of 2022 - the 1/48 Monogram Bf-109G-10. This one was released by Monogram around 1991 and traces its origins back to the Revell release of 1978 (indeed you can still find this release available today; Revell has been releasing this kit on and off again, most recently in 2016). The kit still holds up well today; it has generally accurate lines, recessed panels, is an easy build. Sure it’s no Eduard super kit, but it sure passes quite nicely for a 109G-10 to my somewhat uneducated eye.

I picked this one up for somewhere around $5-10 at a swap and sell some years back. I picked this boxing because I have very vivid memories of buying this boxing as a kid, getting my hands on the dark green plastic, and building the kit in a hurry. Whilst I don't remember how I painted it, I do remember re-painting it a year or two later in a blotchy 'Africa' scheme, similar to that painted on 109Es (totally not accurate... but hey, I was maybe 13 years old, so accuracy wasn't a real focus back then). No idea what happened to it, but pretty sure it didn't survive the 'Cancian turkey shoot' in the backyard some time later... ahem.

Given the kit’s simplicity, I did make a few modifications. I replaced the cockpit with some random 109G cockpit bits and seat belts that I had in the spares box. I replaced the kit exhausts and wheels with resin aftermarket items, added mesh to the radiators and ribs to the radiator flaps, I added a new pitot from brass tube, and I cut and repositioned the flaps, elevators, and rudder. The rest was all stock kit.

I painted this one up in fairly bland POA markings, based on one of the schemes from the Eduard kit. I had a set of Eduard decals for the tail shield, Wrk number and stencils, but all other markings were masked and sprayed.

ratVmZR.jpg

o3Vjwrx.jpg

MnGCcTe.jpg

3OIVREq.jpg

f9N0lLq.jpg

PvWe60D.jpg

raZoFIv.jpg

ZmRCFWw.jpg

HNJ7EiA.jpg

xIe1VeE.jpg

a9gx1D6.jpg

PgJnSKD.jpg

mFBpW1z.jpg

ro93A3O.jpg

LERIdfk.jpg

XQY9BcK.jpg

bQYztqY.jpg

BuiGxm5.jpg

Some progress pics:

rngEa8y.jpg

oleoYzv.jpg

W20r0Fd.jpg

wRlvX8P.jpg

zqdvFcW.jpg

riWxCIP.jpg

ZfxBvO4.jpg

ujwxibE.jpg

vqyF8bk.jpg

HTlBfTz.jpg

9pl4olz.jpg

All in all this was a fun build. Thanks for looking, and as always, comments, criticisms and tips for improvement are always welcome!

Cheers,

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 4

You've certainly turned that one around nicely. Always nice to see 'cheaply' bought old kits finished, as some do still hold up really well if built and painted carefully. Sometimes it gives you greater satisfaction than building a more modern expensive one. I do love your paintwork...superb mottling, preshading and panel lines accents. A fantastic end result.

A lovely finish for an old kit, you can fit the Fujimi wings to the Monogram/Revell fuselage (if you have some) then you can have all the flaps and slats down, plus the earlier small wheels and bulges. :winkgrin:

Thanks all for your very kind words!

Indeed there is something satisfying about building these old kit. This one (and this boxing) does hold a bit of a special memory for me as well. I have very vivid memories of buying this boxing as a kid, getting my hands on the dark green plastic, and building the kit in a hurry. Whilst I don't remember how I painted it, I do remember re-painting it a year or two later in a blotchy 'Africa' scheme, similar to that painted on 109Es (totally not accurate... but hey, I was maybe 13 years old, so accuracy wasn't a real focus back then. I had only just seen that scheme in a book and I remember being very pleased with my repaint result). No idea what happened to said build, but pretty sure it didn't survive the 'Cancian turkey shoot' in the backyard some time later... ahem.

Anyways, thanks for sharing this little bit of nostalgia with me!

Cheers again,

BC

Lovely work! Don't you just love the embossed Revell lettering on the OUTSIDE of the plastic?! A bit of sanding required on my 1/48 AH-1P a couple of years ago, too. Why would you do that?! :facepalm:

Great job on that classic! Have long had a soft spot for it (and actually built the 1/72 version).

Giving my age away here, but I saw a test shot of that kit in the hands of American researcher/author John Beaman, at a local model contest in the late 1970's! His book "The Last of the Eagles" did much to nudge that kit into existence.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:57 PM, Brad Cancian said:

Hi Rob! Hope all is well. 

Yeah, slowly getting my mojo back - you know what Canberra does to that! I should be posting some more progress pics of the 1:48 Vampire T.35 shortly as she's almost ready for paint.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:57 PM, Brad Cancian said:

Gotta love some of those quirks of older kits, eh!

I'm still at a loss as to why they thought branding the outside of the kit was a good thing. :facepalm: At least those kits do go together well and have pretty accurate detail.