PK-13 P-51D Mustang racer - fast & red

Now I've started applying the decals. These are custom decals I designed and had printed by Custom Hobby Decals in Australia. They look fabulous. The detail is very fine and crisp, and the white looks suitably opaque. The sheet below has two sets of decals. The large anti-glare panel decal which wraps around aft of the canopy is the most ambitious of these, hopefully if this decal works I won't have to mask the super-thin white line bordering the anti-glare panel!

spacer.png

My reference is David Muir's Southern Cross Mustangs - a must-have if you're into Aussie or Kiwi Mustangs. This is in addition to the article by Neil Follett in The Aviation Historian no. 15.

spacer.png

Making good progress, success with the large anti-glare panel decal! It will need another couple of coats of Micro Set to smooth the edges, but I'm very happy with this. It could have been perhaps 1mm wider on the sheet, but the Matchbox kit appears to be a little on the fat side (13.7mm fuselage width, compared to 12.4mm width for a Tamiya F-51D in my stash).

spacer.png

But time is marching on, doubt if I can get all the small undercarriage parts completed and then mask & paint the wing-tips and empennage tips before this evening. Never mind...

• Like 11

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow the decals look lovely great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris, once I finish this one, I'm motivated to scale  the decals to 1/48 and do one at that scale too!

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's a stunner Derek,even if you miss the deadline crack on with her.

Thanks Steve, you can be sure I'll be finishing this one! I'm in awe at your 109 triplets, what a great job!

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks amazing Derek, your red paintwork is stunning  :worthy:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat, I love subjects which are one colour overall!

• Like 1

Wow… that does look beautiful in every way possible. That custom decal sheet is also very impressive, I must get on to those chaps to see what they can do for me. Looking forward to the final results. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1