Principles of flight

jhutchi

• 6 months later...

Late to this but after 44 years flying I  still look out at the wings as we soar into the air and think: This can't be  happening. Definitely magic and I'm the  bloody pilot. 

Yes I've done all the exams studied extensively but in reality the theory of lift is controversial. 

Bernoulli versus Newton. 

All I know is that  when I  apply  manifold  pressure the propellor spins and we leave the  ground.

I think it's magic. 

Flying is magic. So QED.

Edited by noelh
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

I know that the little lights on the wingtips are called navigation lights because the pilot gets to where he is going by steering between them.

No, the pilot does it all IFR (I follow roads, I follow railways, I follow rivers ...).

• Haha 6

• 4 months later...

Lift daemons*…… they live near airfields and are naturally attracted to the sound of aircraft engines.  When a pilot starts the engines several daemons fly over and sit on the wings. When ready for take off the pilot increases the throttle, the engines make more noise, which attracts more lift daemons who sit on the wings, and eventually there are enough to get the aircraft into the air.  

The act of stalling an aircraft occurs when the angle of the wing gets too steep for the lift daemons to hold on, so some slide off and the aircraft loses lift and descends. When the pilot increases the throttles it attracts the daemons back to the wing and the aircraft continues flying.

Using reverse thrust to slow down an aircraft after landing was at first unsuccessful because the increase in engine noise attracted even more lift daemons making it difficult to land safely. Eventually the aerodynamicists managed to solve the problem by fitting ejector flaps on top of the wings, you can see these in action for yourself - after landing the pilot raises them and they knock the lift daemons off the wing, reducing lift and allowing the  aircraft to stop safely.

*There have been several papers written on the subject of Lift Daemons and Thrust Pixies by aerospace students, in which they have validated the theory in all the different stages of flight. Try Google.

• Haha 3