Two Japanese Phantoms 1:72 Hasegawa/Fujimi

I would like to show you two F-4EJs that I have recently finished. 

The first one is a F-4EJ of the Air Development and Test Wing in Gifu. They painted it 2017 in a digital or pixel camouflage. When I first came across a photo of this aircraft, I immediately started looking for decals. At that time, there was only this Fujimi boxing available for a lot of money. But I bought it anyway and after a closer inspection decided just to use the decals and build the model using the Hasegawa kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is now the finished model:

It is an F-4EJ (without the "kai"), although it features the antenna on top of the spine. But the very small backward facing sensors on top of the rudder are missing.

Applying the decals was fun. Fujimi provided large connected areas like one wing = one decal, but I decided to divide them into smaller areas for better handling. I strongly recommend this procedure.

As a basic color I chose Revell Seegrün Aqua colours which fits perfectly.

The Hasegawa kit is nice, but I added some details like instruments and wiring to the area between the two seats. Also the triangular shaped reinforcement plates on the stabilizers have to be removed from the top and added to the bottom. Check your references, when building a Phantom....

spacer.png

F-4-EJ-36a.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

F-4-EJ-20.jpg

A lot of stencils are provided for the underside, too:

spacer.png

F-4-EJ-33.jpg

The second model shows a F-4EJkai (improved) that can be recognized by the two small sensors and the big antenna on the spine. Also it features a slightly bigger radome, but Hasegawa ignored this difference. Fine molds however have reproduced it their new range of F-4EJs.

The JASDF 302 Sq have painted two of their F-4 in a special scheme for the retirement of the type, one white and the other one black. Hasegawa have released them both. 

The decals are nicely done but of course they need some touch up especially in the area around the intakes. I will build the black one using the Fine Molds kit.

Here the reinforcement plates are correct as they are in the kit.

Hope you like the models.

greetings from Germany,

Norbert

spacer.png

F-4-EJ-kai-302-16a.jpg

Edited by NorbertBu
typo
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic! Those are two superb models beautifully made. I have the 302 Squadron machine in the stash in both 1/72nd and 1/48th scale for construction at some point. I hadn't realised Fujimi had released the digital F-4. 

• Thanks 1

Very Nice builds thank you for sharing. I have decals for both the black and white retirement scheme and I plan to apply them to two of the Fine Molds Phantoms that I have in the stash.

• Thanks 1

Both models are Beautifully finished.

Must admit that digital one are something special and you managed decal application perfectly.

I am planning to do the same scheme but with DXM decal 1/72 JASDF F-4EJ PHANTOM II ADTW. I can only hope that will get a near to your result.

Best regards Djordje