Revell 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet: VFA-102 Diamondbacks 2005 50th Anniversary - NAF Atsugi JP +FINISHED+

Icarus

Hi everyone.  I dug this out of the stash, only to see that there is another example of this being built.  However, as you can see I will go for an OOB build, apart from the masks.  We will see what the base kit looks like.  If the cockpit isn't up to much, I will mount the canopy closed...

chCQFtLBkrZvkdqt4ZnF2vfU8xNiFG0wGFa41g5v

SJP2dVKG44KFA3f5T4oCZLJ6V_c4ba9Qxj1pM0vH

Need to finish off a couple of commissions first, so at least I will be able to learn from @jb65rams' build...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 5

Thank you gingerbob - trying to finish a very stripey St Athan Station Flight "Welsh Dragon" Hawk at the moment (which coincidentally also has a significant amount of red on it), then I'll crack on with this build.

Icarus

• 2 weeks later...

Early days with this - the cockpit is largely complete, but still attached to the sprues for ease of painting.

Pw3g5TDfjMGiCliOnnrYiEHpJCt7kdiL3dlN_l5z

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with some of the flash on this kit.  For example, there was lots on the leading edges of the upper fuselage in the above piccie, that I have now sanded down.  It's not as if this is a very old kit.  "Made in China" is written on the inside of one of the fuselage halves, but I have only ever seen excellent castings in Chinese manufacturers of late.

I am also having some serious difficulties with the decals, despite them having been stored in a cool, dry place since purchase.  At present I'm having to excise them from the carrier film with a new scalpel blade after soaking.  This has been achieved with minimal breakage for the cockpit instrument decals, but I am dreading the main exterior decals.

Incidentally, for some reason all the MFD screens on the decal sheet were light grey, despite there being no evidence they ever looked like this in reality.  I have painted them black/green now, as you can see on the photo.

Odd.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

On 13/01/2022 at 20:21, Icarus said:

Need to finish off a couple of commissions first, so at least I will be able to learn from @jb65rams' build...

Not much to learn from me. I am at the same stage as you. Been sidetracked by the Matchbox GB. 

I have muttered previously about unexpected levels of flash on the smaller parts of this kit, but there is no denying some of the detail is great - the wheel wells are fab, and the cockpit out of the box isn't too shabby either.

xX3V19SDKFBj1aOj_Vr6UM-EDAb7WfQjwI9rU7sZ

k9HZ4aryndU3U6GkXmCvreqAV2VdqQAwqa3PbnqQ

I will fill/glue the small gap between the front i/p and the cover, then add and mask the canopies.  Once I've covered the wheel wells, then it is off to the paint shop!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

Thank you @Jb65rams.  I agree - a bit fiddly, and required a quick sand afterwards to remove any inconsistencies.  We will see how this turned out with the primer later tonight...

So, I am really finding this model is excellent in many ways.  This is me prepping for the canopy addition, prior to masking.  The tailplanes, fins and wing extensions just click into place - I may not need to glue them later...

NtuoyO_5ndhqtpe8wOvV2Wb05aeRGEhwracH-4sy

But seriously, who decided to put this on the EXTERIOR lower surface of the port flap?  Sure, it could be sanded this down with grades of Micromesh, but why should I need to??

42bw-O_Qjz1YQylpxqvW4oznckgNhLfuwWrzdbjT 

Ah well, just me moaning.  Still a fantastic amount of model for the price.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

So, I have now got the light and dark ghost greys on, using good old Humbrol 127 and 128.  Both went down really well - mustn't forget the old paint brands!  As you can see, I have now masked up ready for the red bits.  Red gets everywhere as I have learnt in the past with bitter experience, so no chances taken here as you can see, with a combination of vinyl, kabuki and builder's masking tape covering everything visible (including much of the lower surface as well!)

hIoAwBtHPLEzE_ytQLyGO-W4OsWCJ85ZWfLAvDT3

I will be using another old classic for the red - thinned Humbrol 19, which will produce a lovely tough gloss base for some of those interesting decals, which may/may not be in many pieces based on the experiences with the cockpit instrument decals above.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

So, the masking worked!

aRhvzwag6hWOa1KB9JdtxZ2SSG3_xBa2rKsaj1fb

The wing fold lines are a little prominent for my liking, so I may just add a sweep of white glue, and a quick spray of dark ghost grey before starting the decaling process.  I am slightly dreading this, given how badly the cockpit decals behaved, but we shall see.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

So, things have been a bit delayed by the arrival of the latest addition to the Icarus family, but now we're getting some sort of sleep pattern going, I've had time to decal this, and work on the undercarriage.  Those tricky decals are still giving me problems, but multiple applications of Micro Sol later, we're slowly getting there...

fw8s8hU9bCmbY5h0H57jNnm7rUPP1qfddEPqEOda

ZegPZn0_rb4om_Ie7Dtsl9Mv1Lf4IHsCNOXFgRPv

I am aiming to add the u/c doors and weapons pylons next, then start the weathering whilst working on the ordinance.

Hoping for a finish in approx. 1 week, then I can focus on the the MiG-21 SMT in the relevant GB.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 8

Many congratulations on your new arrival, it certainly changes your home schedule! Clearly hasn't affected your modelling quality though, this bright scheme looks very sharp despite the decal issues 👍

Thank you for the kind words everyone.  Just about getting into a regular sleep pattern now!

In the final straight with this now.  Just need to add the weapons (when I've decided the load out I want), mount the canopy open and build and add the crew ladder:

l00aHcyuyo1pdIeEb1w2mVY_tcBUkGxnifhAYaMm

YcwpE1rEGfDQCRdv6c5eVaKu-FjeBEUNYVdUWdxM

Lovely kit this - well done Revell!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

OK - all done now.  Will post more piccies in the gallery, but very impressed with this model from Revell.  I also have the Revell "Top Gun 2" 1/48 F/A-18D lurking in the shed, that I was trying to get rid of due to the rubbish colour scheme, but based on how much I enjoyed this build I'm now tempted just to get some better decals for it!

Anyway...

k_ADbi0h8PjTBmm_i0V1rZKGge-qW0QXE4JNv0Jt

Muh82A5S_wf5CXSNXkToZgqJf0hPewWZRFgq909n

dCX0pnTu6FyhL9WwByZXUb_yZUONkBm3YmKBGIcO

3hBG1rXsL9ccq1ixMymI2YteDVHXV3sGa0BWsGog

Thank you for looking everyone!

Icarus

• Like 5

• Icarus changed the title to Revell 1/48 F/A-18F Super Hornet: VFA-102 Diamondbacks 2005 50th Anniversary - NAF Atsugi JP +FINISHED+