PK 109 Adrian's Junkers 188 ## FINISHED ##

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Adrian,

Any idea what diameter roundels you want - I have somewhere and I will have a look later.

Pete

12mm, please. need an anchor too, about 10mm high 🙂

Will these be any good? I suppose I have been saving spare decs for about 50 years and the only index system I have is in my head - must make a proper list sometime. Thought I remembered something, possibly Frog but as it turns out they are Matchbox!

DSC06429-crop

Lord knows how old they are - somewhere between 30 and 40 years I guess as the kit came out in 1980 I believe and I bought it a year or two later. They look OK and have been stored in the dark in a cool dry place, but it might be worth giving them a coat of varnish or liquid decal film as a precaution. The roundels are 12mm and you may be able to do something with the fin flashes/anchors. I might see if I can run some off on clear decal film anyway. The kit ones are about 7mm high so do you actually need bigger ones? Odd that the "rope" on the fin flashes is mirror image to the ones on the roundels - any idea if that is correct?

If you want them send me a PM with your address and I will get them in the post.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Adrian,

Actually, the current Aeronavale ones do not seem to have what in RN terms is a "foul anchor" ie one with a rope twisted round it but in your profile I can see that the one on the fin flash is the same as those in my above pic, complete with rope on the right - not sure about the roundels though. I should be able to print these off in any size you like

anchor1

either like that or "flipped" with the loop of rope on the other side! I have seen a few pics showing foul anchors but the vast majority are plain ones, don't know if it was a wartime thing?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

WAAAH- right under my nose !! My partner thought me a bit weird as I got out of bed and climbed into the loft to look in model box no. 7 at my Revell Privateer. And lo and behold there were some lovely pristine Aeronvale decals which I held up to my 188 and they should do just fine.

I apologise for wasting everyone’s time

Adrian

• Haha 2

Hi Adrian,

I guess this is where Enzo will say "spreadsheet", not of course that I have one! In my case it was ordering the exact same kit a year later as I could not remember buying the first one - see my Ki-100 build in the Turning Japanese GB

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Put a few decals on and painted tail white. Another coat and then the red and blue - remembering it is French and the blue is forward unlike British aircraft.

IMG_6987[12273]

Once decals all on it needs significant flattening - as per my photos 🙂

• Like 8

Wow!! how good is this looking? Please excuse my ignorance, however is this some kind of WHIF scheme or one that was actually applied to Ju188's? Sure makes a nice difference to those mottled Luftwaffe colours. 

Cheers.. Dave 

8 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help in running this and getting my posts sorted out.

In answer to your question

ju-188-001 (2)

QED

Thanks Adrian, thats very tasty indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

A bit more decalling. Had to resort to Signiagraph rub down transfers as nothing suitable in decals. Painted over the Xtracrylic 14 white on tail as it was quite yellowy, despite lots of mixing. Used Gunze white. Then a bit of Humbrol Bronze metallic for exhausts. Opened the thinners jar and gave it a quick sniff to check I had right jar. Couldn't smell a thing ! Dinner smelt and tasted lovely but in the space of a couple of hours I have lost my sense of smell. Tested positive on Monday and up until now all I have had is a mild head cold. Others have worse so I am not complaining.

IMG_6994[12304]

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, IanC said:

That's very smart Adrian. Are you looking forward to painting the canopy? 😄

Good point. My friend Trevor who it came from used to use canopy masks. Perhaps I will do the same 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Adrian,

Xtracrylic white is an off white as used on the undersides of USN planes post war - I think Tamiya or maybe Gunze do something similar which they call insignia white. It is not immediately obvious until you compare it with bog standard white, when it does indeed look a bit yellowish.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Before my holiday I painted and decalled the tail. Fitted a few bits in the cockpit and then dull coated the whole thing. Now have canopy masks for the correct Italeri glazing, which I am using. As you can see behind the model my first task is to paint crew for various aircraft on a production line - very useful for filling up sparsely detailed cockpits 😉

IMG_7416[12474]

• Like 3

Dry fitted canopy and found head of engineer too high - so I cut down the profile of his seat and then cut half his bum off. Now fits fine 🙂 It seems my widening of the front of the fuselage to fit the Italeri rather than Matchbox canopy seems to work

IMG_7430[12485]

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Adrian 

However I genuinely think you need to get out more :wink: :giggle:

Cheers Pat

Pat, I do get out occasionally. Recently I did a two week cycle tour of the Orkneys and Shetland. This week I have done three 10 mile cycle time trials as well as 25 miles touring with friends on Wednesday. Tomorrow it will rain (the northern Scottish islands were certainly not dry !!) so I will be at the modelling table to complete my two builds. 🤗😊🦭

• Like 1