PK 109 Adrian's Junkers 188 ## FINISHED ##

I have been communicating with Rabbit Leader and he and Pat seem quite keen to have this group build cover the full range of Matchbox kits. There is a good list of who is doing what so I have decided to fill in one of the blanks. Therefore, this morning my Junkers 188 arrived in the post. Not sure what camouflage scheme to do it in yet, maybe the one on the box. I will look into it when I have got a bit further with my Queen Bee.

IMG_6236[10355]

• Like 14

Just catching up on all the latest-ish posts and so glad to fill in another hole  within the GB Build List. This excellent Ju 188 thread now brings up 27 out of a possible 34 Orange Range series Aircraft being built and with the rare but popular Hs 125 still not allocated, I'm sure we can push this series even further . Thanks again Adrian. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This evening I was at the Hailsham and District Scale Model club - basically we sit in a room together and make models. A friendly soul pointed out there is glazing missing under the nose and I noticed more at the back of the nose bulge. A bit of work that I will enjoy doing 😊

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The He111, and possibly others, are the same. It's the small windows around the gondola that are moulded solid in the Heinkel.

It also has 2 of the fuselage windows on each side solid, but as they seem to have been painted over on quite a few airframe this isn't necessarily wrong. It's a pain if your preferred subject has them glazed though. 

John 

I look forward to seeing this take shape. It was one of my favourite Matchbox aircraft kits. Of course, at the tender age I was when I first built it I just ignored the missing glazing.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dealt with the gondola with a razor saw. I was refining a clear bit of canopy that somehow got lost to the carpet monster. Surprising as it is so big. Will now refine the bit I sawed off and pull mould clear over it. Have used that technique many times.

IMG_6565[11841]

A few bits have been glued together

IMG_6564[11840]

Engine nacelles are a bit rough so will make them as presentable as possible

IMG_6566[11842]

• Like 8

Nice start! 

Talking of this kit's transparency idiosyncrasies, the canopy is moulded in 2 halves with the join down the centre of the dorsal turret, making it impossible to disguise.  Fancy a challenge . . . ?

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adrian,

When I bought this I think it may have been the only 1/72 188 available, but since then I have bought the Italeri offering and hopefully the glazing will be more accurate - must dig it out and have a look. If not a set of Falcon canopies I have includes replacements and that might come into play! Not sure about the camo - the one on the box is perhaps meant to be a maritime one whilst others were used as night bombers I think, maybe with black undersides, but I believe Matchbox have gone for a couple of recce options as they say it is the D version, which had no bomb aimer and forward gun and the possibility of having Hohentwiel radar aerials if building as a D-2. Maybe the Wellenmuster (or whatever it was called) scheme with the light "squiggles" might look good?

Enjoy your build.

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wings assembled with engines. Will do in flying condition so wheels up. Wing joint needs a bit of filling, despite my best efforts at getting a good fit.

In the middle you will spot the bit of plastic I cut off which constitutes the ventral windows. As it is a bit small will mount on Milliput to give a larger shape to pull mould over.

IMG_6607[11877]

• Like 6

Wings have now been puttied at the joints. Made Milliput base for ventral piece which I will pull mould over when dry.

IMG_6614[11890]

Here is an example of previous male moulds I have made. The large round thing was for the turret of the 1/48 Westland Wendover (Lysander conversion) and the Napier Dagger for when I converted an Airfix 1/72 Hampden into a Hereford

IMG_6613[11889]

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see I have refined the shape and now attached it to a surplus cork as a holding jig.

IMG_6735[11934]

Here you see my set up of candle and a piece of plastic already heated and pull moulded over my plug. I did this a few times and later will cut the plastic out and fit to the fuselage.

IMG_6737[11936]

Now I must get out and get some sun 🙂

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I looked in my parts box and what should I find - A canopy for a Junkers 188 - probably the Italeri kit. I remember getting this from my good ,late, friend Trevor Snyder. He was a member of our model club in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and became quite a good friend. He died in his 40s of a traumatic brain event. This canopy doesn't fit perfectly, a bit like Trevor, but I will use it and dedicate this model to him - he loved making German aircraft.

IMG_6855[12055]

• Like 13

With the simple expedient of Plasticard held down with MEK then nailed down with superglue I have some panels which widen the front of the fuselage by the canopy. I prefer Tamiya putty for these subtle changes as Milliput sometimes doesn't stick on small areas. A bit more hacking about and more putty should make it an admissible marriage of Matchbox and Mediterranean manufacture  - or is that a bit too alliterative ?

IMG_6875[12104]

• Like 8

A while ago I was mooching around on the web looking around for an attractive scheme. Maybe it was because I was fiddling around with blues for our lad's build of a 1/48 F4U Corsair that I got inspired. There is a lovely model by Jeroen Koen of a Junkers 188 used post war by the French Aeronvale. Humbrol Gloss 15 blue flowed very well through my airbrush and the rest, they say, is history

IMG_6884[12132]

IMG_6881[12133]

ju-188-001 (2)

21_1

I have some French roundels with yellow surround which are a bit ropey, but might do. What I don't have is said roundels with anchors in, or a separate anchor for the tail. I will paint the fin flash in colour shades matching the decals.  Troy says he has a useable sheet but hasn't come up with anything yet. Has anyone got any suitable roundels and anchors? Will put a request on parts wanted on this forum. Cheers

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Adrian Hills said:

Has anyone got any suitable roundels and anchors?

I've had a look through my decal spares box but the only French roundels with anchors are for the Lynx and hence too small - plus they are of the seeming standard style with no anchor cable and the lower part of the anchor appearing in the red circle. Looking at the photo, it looks like those roundels (or at least the anchors on them) are quite different to the usual standard Aeronavale ones. If it were me, I'd probably have a go at printing the anchors in black on clear decal inkjet paper, and applying them over the top of ordinary roundels.

Galligraphics, if that is your real name ?! (sorry, reference to film "Dr Strangelove" - "Colonel Bat Guano, if that is your real name?")       In Jest 🙂

Printing the anchors on a decal sheet is a jolly good idea, I have already had one or two offers of help, but if things don't turn up I'll certainly look into your excellent suggestion. Painting would just look so blobby and not right.

PS I'm a Gerry Anderson fan too. Have the copper wire or my Thunderbird 5 and Jim Boatatis from Canada kindly printed some 1/72 decals for 'Thunderbird Six' 😉

• Like 1