Challenger “Scud City Surfers” - Unit?

Wayne B

Re. photos attached below (provided for discussion purposes only) from Concord’s “Operation Granby” publication, would anyone have an idea what unit this Challenger would have been attached to? The publication doesn’t mention and other than the “Scud City Surfers” sign on top of the frontal Armour, I don’t see any markings of any sort.

Also, any idea what the green box is attached to the LH armoured skirt?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

spacer.png

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w.y.bowman/SCUDCITY.JPG

Edited by Wayne B
Added image link

5 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The image doesn't display, which kinda stifles the discussion.  And there are potentially 3 unit choices.  If there is the red Gerboa of 7AB anywhere that narrows it to 2.  Can you re-post the image so that it displays?

The image displays for me - it shows a Chally sans markings of any type (not even a VRN visible), except for a wooden(?) plank draped across the nose armour with the slogan scrawled across it. The tank has just disembarked from a Scammell Commander rig in the middle of a featureless desert setting.

I think the two images in the scan show the same vehicle so you get a front and a rear view (checked against my own copy of the book).

5 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

The image displays for me - it shows a Chally sans markings of any type (not even a VRN visible), except for a wooden(?) plank draped across the nose armour with the slogan scrawled across it. The tank has just disembarked from a Scammell Commander rig in the middle of a featureless desert setting.

I think the two images in the scan show the same vehicle so you get a front and a rear view (checked against my own copy of the book).

Strange. Tech Gremlins at work again. The linked image shows up fine on my iPad but when I checked on my lap top later, the image didn’t show. Anyway, I added a hot link to the image in case it doesn’t show for some.

Thanks for the info John. I liked the subject for a few reasons, like the unpainted frontal Armour frame, the lack of the stowage bin on the LHS turret, the single green road wheel and the primed rear fuel tanks. I wish I could find a photo of the right side. I guess the lack of markings makes it easy from a finding decals perspective though 🙂. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

The green box looks like a Rarden Ammo box to me, pressed into crew stowage?

Thanks. I wonder what the odds are that I can find those as an aftermarket item in 1/72? I’m thinking I’ll have to find some images of that type of box and scratch build a couple (assuming the did the same mount on the RHS). Thanks again for info.

TBH I wouldn’t get to fussed over what is on the tank as in it’s time over there you can be sure more bits and pieces were added/discarded depending on the crews whims at the time.

The box is a ammo box of some type due to the yellow diamond on it but as Dan says it is sure to be extra stowage for the crew.

Ivan