Tamiya 1/72nd scale Spitfire Mk1, K9794, 19 Sq., before January 1939!

Here I go again...another 19 Sq build and, I hope, one of three Spitfires I'll be building for my project.  I've not built the Tamiya Spitfire before so this is a new kit for me.  It looks pretty good so far from what I have seen.  The decals will be from the Xtradecal sheet that had the Hawk commemorative flight.  Is this will be with no registration and a bog '19' on the rudder.  Very cool.  There is loads of great research on this aircraft and I will include some good links here...

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/87251

http://spitfiresite.com/2007/09/early-spitfire-mk-i-no-19-squadron.html

...and of course, Digby with the poorly placed fence that ended this aircraft's very short career.  

http://www.raf-lincolnshire.info/digby/digby_crashes.htm

So, there are some issues with the kit, namely that it doesn't have a two-bladed prop, which this aircraft probably had fixed onto its Merlin II.  I'll have the fix that somehow.  Also, the sources say it probably had a Night/Day underside with the control surfaces kept aluminum dope for weight reasons.  The decal sheet has the whole underside in aluminum.  I'll go for the Night/Day look and keep the flaps NMF.

So, that's it for now.  I'll start in on her sometime this weekend.

Here's some pictures to start...

51815464052_a958c02088_z_d.jpg

51816417176_5f6e6b0724_o_d.jpg

Sprue, etc...later...

--John

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

The Airfix Mk1a comes with both props IIRC, at least in the 1a/IIa boxing. The regular Series 1 1a boxing lacks the extra sprue with the 2-blade.

This one: https://www.super-hobby.com/products/British-Supermarine-Spitfire-MkI-MkkIIa.html

Chris

8 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

has both the 2 blade and the alternate 3 blade option. 

Alas...my LHS do not have this model.  It seems to be a less recent kit (2010?)  I have had to place a bid on one from the UK.  If I win it I'll be ok, although the VAT to get it from the UK to me now is enormous.  As mentioned it comes with a three-blade prop too, so at least I'll be able to get a full build out of the kit after I've cannabalized the two-bladed prop.  Crossed fingers.

Here's the sprue, decals, etc...

51819437001_273c000161_z_d.jpg

I've heard good things about this kit.  The detail looks very nice with no flash to be seen.

51819780014_d31084b4b5_z_d.jpg

Nice panel lines.  Very delicate.

51819779999_106ac8cf3c_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Thanks @dogsbody.  That took care of that.  Now, if I win the Airfix Spitfire, I'll just have another.  Nice the see the KP kit actually has markings for two 19 Sq aircraft.  I might have to restart the 'Spitfire A-Go-Go' I had running couple of years ago.  I also ordered the MkIa Commanders...It has Sq Ldr Briuan Kane's aircraft...

51820741244_06157d46e5_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

Loos to be an interesting project,  that is growing into your own little GB too. Good luck with the bidding .  The Tamiya kit does look nice although the seat looks a bit wierd though.  I do love the look of the 2 blade prop on Spitfires.

Chris

Careful John :)  these recent Spit boxings from KP can be addictive :P

Over the last year, they also released 3 Seafire boxings, and a couple of Mk.VB & Cs including Aboukir airfilters.

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Loos to be an interesting project,  that is growing into your own little GB too

Thanks Chris.  I am enjoying the 19 Sq. Project.  I actually have a Farman Longhorn coming.  I think it was the first aircraft they trained on.  I have a feeling it was unmarked.  I also won the Airfix Spitfire so that will arrive eventually,  along with the other Spits from KP.  I'll build this kit up until the prop arrives and wait...if I must!

I just had a nice supper and watched 'The Great Waldo Pepper'.  I hadn't seen the film in many years and had forgotten how many amazing flying sequences there were.  A real coup for Tallmantz Productions for sure.  Those aircraft would make a nice project for a future 'Fictional Aircraft GB'...Camel, Triplane, Thomas Morse Scout, Jenny, Standard J-1, the modified Chipmunk used in the outside loop crash...