Jump to content

Warrior 510 - 1/35 Academy and Edvard PE


Recommended Posts

Hi all, it the third time if doing this kit - it is my favourite although it needs the Edvard PE.  I always loved the Warrior after spending a week in the back of a 511 bouncing around Salisbury Plain.  Paints are Mig - NATO green (with a few drops of oily ochre) and black lighted with white.  Apart from the Edvard etch, I drilled out the lights (head and side), filled them with resin, and used stick on mirrors for the drivers mirrors.  

 

y4moDh9c-ZmHfPCb7P5Eiw64N_1-5os0bYZe7nsC

 

y4mUXExJLBk3mdemjFelfE1oiWUzyLbQEVArSxNK

 

y4m22Ry4a4vFN6lqvqFAoXoRrofAq61zXVI-XCq9

 

y4mng_wvDRUrz-P6lnHPGl-rW7rIM1lKgL5IhFzm

 

y4ma1yUzAh55fkFJ4xIZ5nz_qMu_Ho2YTp1GKLmd

 

y4mhl6somLTTSCGBzSUEqohPqN-m9RAbqIOYMT8O

 

y4m5R-sBVNwTj0miWdeJ0s2v_w3xfQq0ASomAtCV

  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers Folks.  Thank you for your kind words.  I'm chuffed with how well it come out.

 

@LeeM - good luck with the Iraq 2003 version, I'm sure yours will come out as good if not better.  I can't face doing anything sand coloured although a lot of the wagons were virtually green and black by the end due to sand blasting by the wind and the paint being applied in freezing conditions back in Germany.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Cheers Folks.  Thank you for your kind words.  I'm chuffed with how well it come out.

 

@LeeM - good luck with the Iraq 2003 version, I'm sure yours will come out as good if not better.  I can't face doing anything sand coloured although a lot of the wagons were virtually green and black by the end due to sand blasting by the wind and the paint being applied in freezing conditions back in Germany.

I did toy with having the green and black coming through but a bit beyond my skill level at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent build! I think the base vehicle still looks the part. Much cleaner than with all the special armour and other fits for operational deployments. 
 

It’s such a shame that the decision was taken to remove Warrior from service. A great bit of kit. 
 

Steve

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

I did toy with having the green and black coming through but a bit beyond my skill level at the moment.

There are plenty of video guides on youtube.  The trick is to paint the green and black, add a layer of hairspray and then the desert yellow.  The hairspray dissolves in water so when you gently rub it with a wet brush it lifts parts of the top coat.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Excellent build! I think the base vehicle still looks the part. Much cleaner than with all the special armour and other fits for operational deployments. 
 

It’s such a shame that the decision was taken to remove Warrior from service. A great bit of kit. 
 

Steve

Completely agree.  It never looked right with the add on armour and I'm not convinced Boxer will cut it, even though it is meant to be excellent.  It's a bit melancholy for me as Warrior came into service as I joined the Army and it'll leave about the same time I do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a really nice build and paint job, I'd be very happy if I could pull that off, well done

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Completely agree.  It never looked right with the add on armour and I'm not convinced Boxer will cut it, even though it is meant to be excellent.  It's a bit melancholy for me as Warrior came into service as I joined the Army and it'll leave about the same time I do. 

I think from a protection level Boxer claims to have as good protection as WR base armour, but whether it has the stretch to accommodate additional armour packs - I don’t know. The mobility of Boxer is apparently very impressive, but it’s a massive vehicle and I do wonder about it’s ability to manoeuvre in urban environments- there’s no neutral turn option 😆

 

That’s  a long shift you’ve put in! Good effort. I’m starting to get to the point where time outside is catching up with time inside! 
 

Steve

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

I think from a protection level Boxer claims to have as good protection as WR base armour, but whether it has the stretch to accommodate additional armour packs - I don’t know. The mobility of Boxer is apparently very impressive, but it’s a massive vehicle and I do wonder about it’s ability to manoeuvre in urban environments- there’s no neutral turn option 😆

 

That’s  a long shift you’ve put in! Good effort. I’m starting to get to the point where time outside is catching up with time inside! 
 

Steve

34 years and counting, regular and FTRS. And I'm still called a redarse!.  Between Ajax and Boxer Chally is looking positively petite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

34 years and counting, regular and FTRS. And I'm still called a redarse!.  Between Ajax and Boxer Chally is looking positively petite.

Haha! That’s a phrase I haven’t heard for a while - everyone is a sprog to someone! 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That came out really well, very nicely finished, weathering is spot on. A tarp over the side bin would be a nice addition. Have you tried any of the Accurate Armour sets, there 511 one is nice though has some ommisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bish said:

That came out really well, very nicely finished, weathering is spot on. A tarp over the side bin would be a nice addition. Have you tried any of the Accurate Armour sets, there 511 one is nice though has some ommisions.

Thanks. Thought about the AA add-ons, but they cost more than the original kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Big_Bad_Bill said:

Thanks. Thought about the AA add-ons, but they cost more than the original kit.

Your not worng but they are nice. I might well get another one and do a 510 with the sets ivan mentioned. Only thing that puts me off is the wheel stations on the right side which can't be corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bish said:

Your not worng but they are nice. I might well get another one and do a 510 with the sets ivan mentioned. Only thing that puts me off is the wheel stations on the right side which can't be corrected.

Yep but it's the only option if you want a bog standard 510, although they are like rocking horse poo.  I had to get this one from Poland.  I don't understand why Airfix doesn't re-box it - they do other Academy kits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Airfix might get round to it. There are a couple on e-bay, pity Academy only did it with the Chobham, i prefer it without the extra armour. Its how i remember them best. I am hoping Meng back date there then we might get a more accurate one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Bish said:

Airfix might get round to it. There are a couple on e-bay, pity Academy only did it with the Chobham, i prefer it without the extra armour. Its how i remember them best. I am hoping Meng back date there then we might get a more accurate one.

No problem with the armour Bish you just leave it off👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

Excellent build you have there! Too bad the photos do not help to show the work done.

Seconded. Photos of a model so well done should be bigger.

 

Vytautas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ivan-o said:

No problem with the armour Bish you just leave it off👍

Ye, that's what i did on my 511, i just hate having all that extra plastic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...