Spitfire Mk. Vi 1/72 Italeri

First attempt at a model aircraft, I usually build cars or help my children with their Warhammer. 

lots of mistakes along the way but happy enough with the completed model. Vallejo paints used throughout. 

• Like 22

Not at all bad but one glaring error in the rake of the undercarriage.  The Spitfire undercarriage legs raked forward.

You may have fitted port and starboard legs on the wrong sides.

An easy error to make when you are new to modelling aircraft.

7220cfd71c74573918c3bf4d473f9753.jpg

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spellinge errur
  • Like 4

One point is that the rake is less on the earlier types up to those fitted with the C wing.  The drawing appears (eyeballing only) to have the forward rake of the C wing rather than that of the earlier aircraft.  I agree that the angle of the bottom of the doors suggests something is in error - possibly the original kit, of course!

One other small point is that the canopy on the pressurised Mk.VI was bolted down - there should be no gap visible between the canopy and the fuselage.  If (when) I find that (despite all efforts) the canopy doesn't fit perfectly then I fill the visible gap with Kristal Clear, or another of the PVC-based clear setting products.  Once dry this can be painted over to hide the seam.  But ideally the answer is in preparation - dry fit and check, then fix and check again.

It's good to see a Mk.VI made, they seem to be pretty rarely chosen, possibly because of the lack of a good kit and even the Heller/SMER kit is fairly difficult to get nowadays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

there should be no gap visible between the canopy and the fuselage

I left it so I could lift it off. 

22 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

You may have fitted port and starboard legs on the wrong sides.

More than likely. 

• Like 1

@edd9000, I'm with @Graham Boak. Nice choice of version as this is the only Mk VI I recall seeing built by someone else. If you feel up to it, the rear glazing should have a thin horizontal framing member on each side. The Mk VI is the only mark with it.

Graham, Hasegawa marketed the Mk VI in 1/48 and 1/32. Essentially an extrapolation on their Mk V, and they paid no attention to the interior differences (e.g., pressurized bulkheads). I built the 1/48 one; nice kit.

Cheers,

Wlad