Antenna JP T4 Red Pelicans

Tigerman60

I think that the RP craft were identical to the standard JP, other than the paint. It's not as if they flew with just one seat or any obvious mods, is it. This print shows the DME rods under the wings (were they still painted yellow?) but it could just be down to using identical illustrators templates: Airfix Magazine, June 1970, 

https://ibb.co/8cFRsc5

Just a note on the T.4, although superficially it looks like a T.3, there are a couple of features which are different on the T.4.

On the upper fuselage there are a couple of intakes, one each side, these are larger and more prominent on the T.4, these are the same size as those used on the T.5.  Likewise, the T.4 has the same elevators as the T.5 which have different balance horns compared to the T.3.

I think the T.3 had an all black cockpit, the T.4 a Dark Admiralty Grey cockpit with a black instrument panel.

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

At least some from photo's on the net, other way round, black cockpit, grey panel.

I did say think, thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wez said:

I did say think, thanks for the clarification.

Confirmed grey inst panels. Also, confirm the red painted ones were integrated into the normal fleet when not on aerobatic duties, at least in 1966 when I flew in one during CCF summer camp , so I imagine technically identical.

• Like 1

I was at RAF Little Rissington when Jet Provost T. Mk 3s / 4s were part of the Red Pelicans team All underside aerials were yellow, while the cockpit, including the instrument panel, were predominately black. When the RAF's Jet Provost fleet received an avionic's upgrade during the 1970s, the JP4A's / JP 5A's featured a new grey cockpit and IP; the Red Pelican's were operating Jet Provost T Mk.5s by that time, anyway. As it has already been stated, the team aircraft were part of the CFS inventory and used for routine QFI training; they were withdrawn from the flight line for display purposes.