PK-108 Westland Lynx (Revell rebox) *FINISHED*

The kit dates from 1992 and you can see that it is a former Matchbox kit. I will build her, after I have finished the Mirage. Clear parts and decalsĀ  are ok. It will be the German navy version.

96hR3BF.jpg

JRoybyW.jpg

uophJD8.jpg

ytCyIjh.jpg

ewI4yHH.jpg

y76fYyV.jpg

Edited by paul-muc
Header
  • Like 10

An excellent addition to this GB Paul as we've not had PK-108 nominated so far..... I'm excited!Ā 

Now I've just realised that Revell has obviously revised this tooling as the original Matchbox kit has three small windows on each sliding cabin door, whilst Revell have amended this to the larger (production style) single window. I was contemplating trying to obtain the original Matchbox kit and modifying those Cabin doors myself, however it looks as if Revell have already done the job for me! I'll have to get my hands on one.Ā 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. DaveĀ Ā 

I have made a bit of dry fitting. The fit of the parts is good, only some sink marks on the body.

Ā 

reRWf1n.jpg

Ā 

The interior is somewhat sparse, just the floor and the seats. As there will be nothing to be seen, I have glued the doors in place.

Ā 

o2XCAHD.jpg

Ā 

The handling of the windows will be interesting. They will be inserted from the outside. The size is just that of the window cut-out in doors and fuselage, so how to glue them without letting them fall inside?

Ā 

rDLPK63.jpg

Ā 

An internet research showed that the model is a bit diffent from the original 83+11.

Ā 

Aehpdwu.jpg

Ā 

83+06 is more likely but I will use the decals of the kit, which is 83+11, perhaps an early version of the Lynx.

Ā 

tJwi3LU.jpg

• Like 8

Nice progress Paul and I'd agree with 83+11 being similar to 83+06 in an earlier period. Your words about the windows just being an exact fit are similar to what I'm experiencing on my Seasprite. There's a little overhand, but not as much as you'd expect.Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ 

The fuselage is nearly complete. I shall check the body again if there are still some spots to take care of.

For glueing the clear parts I used gloss clear enamel (Revell 1). It is also a good adhesive.
First I fixated the windows with small stripes of tape in the openings. Then I painted the gap between with a fine brush. When the paint was dry after some hours I took off the tape and painted the rest. The surface was cleaned with Mr Color Thinner. It dissolves the paint which than can be wiped off, first on the grey plastic, because it smears a bit, then on the clear part.

Ā 

122CJwZ.jpg
sKnZw01.jpg
Nam39WC.jpg

Ā 

Then I rearranged the instructions. I want to add the rear rotor at the end of the build to avoid any breaking. So I separated the axle from number 6 and glued it to the small ring. To fix the new axle in the fuselage I glued a small piece of sprue into the opposite fin as a stopper.

Ā 

94bisHL.jpg

Ā 

Completing the fuselage needed a bit of filler and sanding, but that's a kind of work I like. It's somehow contemplative.

Ā 

7G8iSe3.jpg
pxxTsGS.jpg
qgQVU1A.jpg
NlIh4eg.jpg

• Like 10

Great progress Paul, that's looking really good and using Revell #1 varnish is something I've not heard of before. I might try that one - well done.Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ Ā 

There was an old man with a beard,
who said "it is just as I feared

That is the beginning of a limmerick that I've learned a long time ago and it always comes to my mind, when things don't turn out as I thought they should. The kit has decals for the stripes on the rotor blades, but when I tried one of the Austrian flags on the rear rotor, it was too stiff, didn't stick to the blade and broke when bend around. So I have painted all the stripes.

Ā 

43IKPgW.jpg

Ā 

The fuselage got a coat of white. It is Revell 05 and it looks a bit off white but I leave it as it is though it looks like a fish belly up.

Ā 

4SSNPHG.jpg

I had thought that today I can go on with the grey coat for the rest of the body, but an additional dry fit with the masked glazing showed, that there is still a bit of filler and sanding needed on the portside.

two owls and a hen
four larks and a wren
have all built their nests in my beard.

• Like 7

wCGsanm.jpg

Ā 

This looks good so far. Except for the white belly and the black nose it is dust grey overall. I have bent the blades of the main rotor a bit and managed not to break them (as it happend with another heli).

Next step will be the decalling and I'm afraid that will be critical because of the age of the decals. And I often have problems with decals on matt colours.

• Like 7

On 2/6/2022 at 12:39 AM, paul-muc said:

And I often have problems with decals on matt colours.

This is really coming up lovely. Now Iā€™m sure you know this already, however decals behave much better on smooth glossy surfaces, so applying a gloss clear coat prior to decals will alleviate some of your issues. Nice update and we look forward to seeing how you go.Ā 
Cheers.. DaveĀ 
Ā 

As expected I had bad luck with the decals.

First the model had got a coat of floor polish (what you call Future or Klear, which is not available in Germany). It gives a shiny coat to the dull matt and hardens the surface. And then it started. The decals partially broke or disintegrated or fell into pieces or didn't stick where they belonged and then they silvered. And they didn't like a softener at all.

Ā 

WYCxtSA.jpg

Ā 

For applying the decals I used a UHU (Pritt) stick: somedrops of water on the surface of the stick, a bit of stirring with a brush until you get a milky fluid and then wetting the surface of the model and the decal with a small brush.

Ā 

HizkQiN.jpg

8DrJv6B.jpg

Ā 

Nonetheless I have completed the decalling. I wrote to Revell for a replacement and though their department X is known as very generous even they can't help if the kit is out of production. We will see.

Ā 

Now, it is as it is. I will add the remainig small parts parts like the antennae and wipers, set her on her wheels and then it's done.

• Like 8

Looks really nice with decals on and perhaps a thinned washed application of the same grey airframe paint will help hide some of that silvering that's showing up in places. Hopefully a fresh set of decals will come your way.Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ Ā 

Fantastic job Paul she look's great in the Marine scheme just goes to show we should never write off these old often overlooked kits,

I'm building the early boxing and had never realised the change of door styles in these later boxing's I wonder was it Revell or Matchbox

who changed thing's?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Fantastic job Paul she look's great in the Marine scheme just goes to show we should never write off these old often overlooked kits,

I'm building the early boxing and had never realised the change of door styles in these later boxing's I wonder was it Revell or Matchbox

who changed thing's?

Ā 

Iā€™m pretty sure Revell changed the kits doors to best reflect the production examples. Like many other Matchbox kits, there design was based on mock-ups and prototypes, which Iā€™m actually starting to think is not a bad thing and a long list of these types of kits now takes my weird fancy.Ā 

Ā 

By the way, the Lynx is looking really good Paul, youā€™ve done a great job here and have inspired me to try to source a couple myself.Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ā 

Like many other Matchbox kits, there design was based on mock-ups and prototypes, which Iā€™m actually starting to think is not a bad thing and a long list of these types of kits now takes my weird fancy.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Kits like the Lynx, which is based on the prototype as opposed to a production version, probably looses it appeal to the modeller seeking a bang up-to-date kit of their desired subject, at least in the medium term. However, these types of kits regain their place of importance in the market when we want to build a model of that prototype. The Airfix 1/72 F-14 and MRCA are two notable kits that are useful in this regard as is Hasegawa's first AH-64 kit, which reasonably accurately depicts a Phase II Pre-Production prototype. For those of us who like to build prototypes, a kit like the Matchbox Lynx is a god send.Ā 

Ā 

Your build of the Lynx shows it can be turned into a fine little model.

Ā 

BM.Ā 

Et voilĆ  - finished!

Ā 

a81Ugp9.jpg

Ā 

@Rabbit Leader: When one of the 83+11 decals fell off I noticed that the carrier film was matt. So I thought that the matt film had that silvering effect on the glossy surface and I gave the decals also a coat of floor polish. It reduced the silvering a bit but not completely. When I asked Revell for new decals I got the answer that the kit was out of production since 2006. SoĀ  they couldn't help.

Ā 

Z7piL77.jpg

Ā 

@steve60:Ā  The kit history at Scalemates says that it was the Revell version, introduced in 1992, that had new parts.

Ā 

2xgYu9G.jpg

Ā 

Many thanks to the admins for organizing this great group build which gives a lot of fun and inspiration.

Ā 

brSQEle.jpg

• Like 8