PK-44 Dassault Mirage IIIB *FINISHED*

The Matchbox kit dates from 1986. There are some scratches on the clear part, but the decals look like new.
I will build the Swiss version in aluminium finish and I will show her in flight, i.e., undercarriage in.

7TL7Il9.jpg

vGtGTiR.jpg

g1bNJBd.jpg

SSQ3j71.jpg

Edited by paul-muc
title
  • Like 14

Greeting from Down Under Paul and great to see PK-44 represented here within this GB. There's something about Matchbox's Mirage that really makes me want one and those decals do look superb indeed. The Mirage looks best in flight, so this will be a stunning build. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There's something about Matchbox's Mirage that really makes me want one ...

Until you put this “B” up against a set of plans.  From memory Matchbox didn’t lengthen the fuselage either at all or not enough from the “C” kit so it looks rather stunted. 

I tried to fix one up in 1986 and despite hours of work then it  didn’t get finished.  Must dig it out again when back in Brisvegas CoVid Central and see if it’s worth restarting/finishing. 

• Like 1

I've spent some time on the cockpit interior. One seat was missing, so I have scratch built the second one, using the seat of the kit as template. Additional there are two instrument panels, a cover for the seam of the aft cockpit bulkhead and of course the pilots. I have found two in the spares box. They are identical to those of the Lynx kit, so I think they are generic types.

80RJTKo.jpg

I was also preparing the display stand, as the aircraft will be shown in flight over the Alps. The base is a cap of a glass, that got a hole for the aluminium rod and will get a filling with plaster for a solid stand. For a better grip of the needle in the fuselage I have glued pieces of gauze bandage opposite the hole.

Next step will be putting all parts together so the construction will be complete. The base will get another spray.

• Like 6

The construction is done. I have used Mr. Base White as filler. The advantage is, that you can wipe off the surplus with Mr. Color Thinner. So no sanding is needed. The disadvantage is, that the filler shrinks when drying. You mostly have to do the filling a second time. In this case it doesn't matter. I have to take care of some spots anyway.

GBxv7l5.jpg

ZdjR7E6.jpg

PKrmC03.jpg

Next step is completing the cockpit.

• Like 11

The pilot and navigator are ready for take off.

VBqA5jU.jpg

W2t5p1r.jpg

w5sTtet.jpg

Then I have sanded the edges of the canopy to prevent reflections later on the finished model, painted them in matt black and glued the canopy to the fueselage. For clear parts I normally use gloss varnish, but in this case it is matt because of the interior in matt black. The varnish is also a good filler for gaps between canopy and fuselage.

o4eYllZ.jpg

The display stand gives an impression how she would look in flight.

• Like 11

Now it was filling an sanding and priming and filling and ...

0VE4K3Q.jpg

PlMhO8G.jpg

Ich have used Tamiya grey primer in spray can, which made clearly visible where to spend some more time with filling. My trial of preshading was useless, because when I use the airbrush it is always full blast. I have used Revell 90.

qLNAbrP.jpg

v4VbfD0.jpg

It is still not perfect now, but I will go on with painting.

• Like 5

Nice progress shots again Paul and don’t worry too much about the pre-shading issues, I’ve seen plenty of good models built that avoid these modern techniques…. and I’ve never bothered with it either.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks!
Unfortunately a closer inspection showed, that I hadn't done the work properly. Especially the wing roots needed some more attention. So I have filled and sanded again and this morning she got another coat of silver. I will let her dry some days and in the meantime I shall start with the Westland Lynx.

I had another session with filler and airbrush. Then I painted the small areas on the stabilizer that were supposed to bei beige, but my mixture of light grey and tan resulted in a somewhat greenish grey.

JuHqYwf.jpg

The decals had a very wide border. I cut them out as precise as possible and they went on smoothly. But the red decal  on the right air intake reacted badly on Micro Sol. I don't know why, perhaps I was too genereous. But now, after a while when busy with foto editing, the wrincles are gone.

3y9ATGH.jpg

igGYySn.jpg

k5288IC.jpg

h3RBMlH.jpg

T44MZKp.jpg

So I would say she is finished.

LNxKrQd.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice work. 

Inspires me to maybe dig out my 36 year stalled build of this kit (except it’ll be finished as a “D” given the lengthening I did to it)  that is if it’s under 25 percent complete. 

Excellent work Paul, she honestly has turned out stunning and with a flawless paint job. That's is very impressive work indeed and the final gallery photos are just fabulous. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...