Entering Fallerburg - 1/144 Armoured diorama - Tim's table clearing KUTA - Part 2

Tim R-T-C

Part 2 of I suspect 7-10 KUTAs that I want to clear off my table before the end of the GB or they will meet their doom in the bin!

Somewhere in the Rhineland, early 1945 - the British Army enter yet another German town, the streets quiet and white flags hanging from the windows.

Inspired by the opening scenes of Bridge at Remagen, this was an excuse to order a bunch of whitemetal tanks from Arrowhead Minatures. It was started as part of a GB at Kampfgruppe144, but stalled while I tried to work out the correct Divisional markings to use, then got overtaken by Christmas.

Current progress:

spacer.png

spacer.png

A box of bags has become an Allied force - two Fireflies, a Comet and an AA Crusader, joined by two Universal Carriers from a previous abandoned project.

A bag of small parts has become a Sturmpanzer (with full interior!) which is going to be abandoned in the town, out of fuel like so many of the German Juggernauts in the closing weeks of the war.

They have all subsequently been primed and base coated in SCC15 and Dunkelgelb accordingly but nothing further since then.

• Like 7

So started work last night and decided to jump straight into the scenery.

There will be two sets of buildings from German model railway scenery firm Faller (hence the diorama's title). They do some varied and highly detailed scenery, although the instructions are definitely something you have to take a while to comprehend!

spacer.png

So with the help of the last of my Christmas modelling fluid I jumped in.

To cater to the quick build market, the kit parts are largely precoloured in appropriate hues so the timbering is made of seperate finely moulded layers which fit together. It does look much better with paint so I quickly decided it was going to be easiest to prepaint the parts on the sprue and touch-up as required.

spacer.png

I'm aiming to give the building a somewhat neglected look, over the last 6 years, the men responsible for its care have been called away to different fronts and not returned, so the white parts are getting a coat of light grey while the timbers are a dark green.

• Like 5

More seriously, it's the best part of half a century (gulp) since I tackled a Faller build but in my memory it was impervious to feeble British cement (as were Pola kits come to that). Maybe thinks have moved on, or are you getting out the arc welder?

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

More seriously, it's the best part of half a century (gulp) since I tackled a Faller build but in my memory it was impervious to feeble British cement (as were Pola kits come to that). Maybe thinks have moved on, or are you getting out the arc welder?

Yes they've certainly been going a while, I built a handful for my model railway some 20 years ago which are still in the catalogue. Definitely must have hard working moulds.

Not had any issues so far and my other half has built a handful of HO gauge buildings with Tamiya Extra Thin without any problems.

You reminded me that I did pick up the arc welding simulation LED with my last gaugemaster order though, must do something with this... 🤔

12 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Oooh white metal, the long forgotten medium of modelling (at least for AFVs and railways), lovely. Going to enjoy this. Also self-administer a KUTA being as you're onto no2 and I still haven't completed vol1!

Whitemetal seems to be a very British modelling thing, I can only assume it is the easiest material to have cast here in the UK for its popularity

• Like 2

White metal is not bad though the small parts can be a bit fragile. I have built several OO Locos in it but the only tank was a 1/72 scale Soviet era T-72 I bought whilst on a visit to the Tank Museum many years ago. I still have it, but have to keep straightening out the long gun barrel as it gets bent very easily. Cleaning up the parts is a dirty business, but once rubbed down with a fibreglass burning brush it gets easier. Take care that you don't mistake your glass of "modelling fluid" for the jar of water/white spirit etc you use to clean your paint brushes - guess how I know the problem.:drink::banghead:

Best of luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:06 PM, PeterB said:

. Take care that you don't mistake your glass of "modelling fluid" for the jar of water/white spirit etc you use to clean your paint brushes - guess how I know the problem.:drink::banghead:

Best of luck.

Pete

Thank you 😁

A paint and white spirit cocktail doesn't sound the most appetising. Fortunately I use those GU pudding jars for water which is completely different to my whisky glass!

• 2 weeks later...

A family bereavement has meant no bench time for two weeks, but been able to get back to things today for some much needed model therapy.

Lots of little bits today - spent a while filing, filling and repainting to get rid of some very obvious seams at the corners.

Added 'floors and walls' to the tower mostly just as view blockers so the windows don't all show through, but you might just see a Tommy peeking out of a window on the upper floor.

On that note I started painting the first of the whitemetal soldiers who will be featuring on the building itself. I also found a 12mm Teutonic Knight to use as an imposing statue above the gate in place of the kit's version.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Work continues apace

Lots of little customisations as I go, most of today was spent on an interior room with two German officers trying to work out if reinforcements are coming, to try a heroes death or whether surrender is the best option.

Hardly visible from the outside once sealed so I added a skylight to provide more illumination...

IMG_20220205_125408_178.webp

IMG_20220205_184447_009.webp

IMG_20220205_201941_463.webp

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So although I didn't get very far with the diorama, I did get this building complete with the addition of the large second section and a plentiful amount of weathering to befit a town left very short of those young men normally responsible for civic upkeep work.

The only final item I intend to add, when it is finally in place, is a tall radio wire from the small balcony, connected to the command room.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some closeup shots too

spacer.png

• Like 5