Centurion Mk 5 in Berlin (AFV Club 1:35)

SimonL

My son bought me this kit for Christmas:

resized_92f4552d-891d-4254-a780-38bfa194

Completed out of the box as “Dido” , C Squadron, 4 RTR in Berlin in the early 1960s. Rather unusual in being painted olive drab, with the mantlet cover painted black.

While looking for images and information I found this rather nice bit of newsreel:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA807GJXZU80R6MMI89H8J3QVSD-GERMANY-BRITISH-ARMOURED-EXERCISE-IN-WEST-BERLIN/query/CENTURION

Brush painted with Tamiya acrylics, build thread can be found here. Quite a challenging kit for me, rather more complex than the Tamiya AFV kits I have built previously, but very enjoyable.  Back to work next week!

Thanks for looking.

resized_2c651cdd-c5df-498f-93a6-aaac3ce3

resized_75f82daa-003b-4575-b979-004fcd28

resized_79138fac-ecb5-4e1c-ba33-56fb402e

resized_5b47b046-5c66-400d-9974-e14d0c3b

resized_ad571d47-257e-4a93-9358-b79236a5

resized_ce22704a-fb79-4d7d-b699-ca5b8182

Looks rather good on the shelf with the Comet and Centaur I built at the beginning of last year.

resized_c0ae993b-1d43-4c44-8671-a30ccab8

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Congratulations a beautiful build, well done 👏 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Very good looking beast! I think personally I only would do some weathering on the cannon cover, it would show even more realistic with some shadows.

Cheers

LM

Thanks! What do you suggest - maybe some additional dry brushing with a dark grey? I don’t want to overdo it, as the photos I’ve seen have had the mantlet cover looking very black.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Simon. It just amazed me how quickly you built it. It takes me that long to open the box.

John.

Thanks! I have been on leave though - back to work on Monday. My builds will get much slower…

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SimonL said:

maybe some additional dry brushing with a dark grey

Yes! Only a few touches will do the job! Or maybe light grey on the most outgoing parts.

I used to do the dry brush with paints, but lately I discovered the Ammo Dry bush thing and its much easier to accomplish.

Cheers

LM

Edited by Lazy Modeller

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Thanks! I wanted to keep this looking pretty parade ground smart. May be next time - I fancy doing an Australian one or maybe the Korean War Mk 3.

That's a very good point. I bet the Berlin garrison had to polish their tanks since that was such a sensitive and prestigious location.

• Like 1