Proper colors for Coastal Command Mosquitos

Spitfires Forever

Hello All

I am about to start my build of a 1/48 Tamiya  mosquito FB IV and wish to with the dark grey over sky scheme but are not sure if the grey is Dark Slate over Sky type S or Ocean Grey over MSG? I have seen both schemes called out and would like some clarification. The time period would be just prior to D-Day (because I don't want to go to the extra effort to paint invasion striper on my model) if that helps. Again, any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

I have this site in my list of references:

http://www.hrmtech.com/SIG/coastal_cam.asp

I think I haven't updated this with the thought that some aircraft may have had MSG rather that Sky - the thread below has the details

10 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Coastal Command was generally Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky. Check this thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945759-coastal-command-mossies-edsg-over/

• Like 1

You can have a lot of fun with Coastal Command Mossies.   You can go with the standard day fighter colors; you can go with EDSG (which often faded quickly to something closer to DSG) over Sky or you can opt for just the upper surfaces painted with EDSG (many times with the original camo scheme showing through).  That's the route I took with my 32nd Mossie.

QsXcJZH.jpg

Have fun on your build, hope you do a WIP so we can follow along.

John

• Like 6

On 1/15/2022 at 11:43 AM, 11bravo said:

You can have a lot of fun with Coastal Command Mossies.   You can go with the standard day fighter colors; you can go with EDSG (which often faded quickly to something closer to DSG) over Sky or you can opt for just the upper surfaces painted with EDSG (many times with the original camo scheme showing through).  That's the route I took with my 32nd Mossie.

QsXcJZH.jpg

Have fun on your build, hope you do a WIP so we can follow along.

John

Nice work mate. My son was 11 Bravo in Paktika Provence  no Mossies but plenty of A-10"s!

• Like 1