PK-13 “Dooleybird” - needs no further introduction now, does it?

51817302576_d41b5c0cc6_b.jpg

Show me a more inspirational model kit box art, and I’ll eat my Vegemite smeared Corked Hat! 

I was a little surprised that the PK-13 North American P-51D Mustang had not been chosen for this GB as yet and seeing I have two original top opening examples, it would be silly of me not to attempt to build at least  one. I have one pristine, uncut good quality example and another that had been partially started by the previous owner. This one has the fuselage halves and cockpit parts cemented in place, so I’ll have a quiet chat with the GB Hosts to see if they allow this one through (Ha!). 

This kit really needs no further introduction, I’m sure many of you have built it back in the day and although its not the best shaped P-51 around, I’ll attempt to replicate that beautiful Roy Huxley box top as best as my skills allow. Special thanks should also go to Patrice @TEMPESTMK5, who sent me a set of Kit’s World decals many many years ago. I’ll consider using these, although not sure if I will try to paint the nose checks as I fear those decals will never fit the contours of this kit. 

51817302546_271cbe7afc_b.jpg

Anyway, another kit to try to fit in whilst hosting this massive GB. Let’s hope I can somehow replicate that action packed image thats transfixed in my head! 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Like 21

• Rabbit Leader changed the title to PK-13 “Dooleybird” - needs no further introduction now, does it?

Good choice Dave. This gap in the build list was bothering me too!  You’ll make a lovely job of this one (do the started kit and keep the pristine one to drool over another day!) All the best. Mike

• Like 2

I went-to-town on 'improving' mine in the last Matchbox GB

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030741-pk-13-na-p-51d-mustang-dooleybird-~~finished~~/

Just showin' off    B)  :lol:

I've kept the box from that build as one of my 'collectibles' 

• Like 1

I’m sure mine had a red sprue? Looking forward to this one.

Now then, what colour was the name, red or blue? This is one of those interpretation of a black and white photo thing

:worms:

Trevor

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Now then, what colour was the name, red or blue?

Never mind the colour of the name, what about that blue nose and canopy stripe? Airfix (see above) seem to have based their scheme on the latest research, however I believe I’ve read that Dooley himself (I’ll find his rank later) thought that Matchbox got this right? 

• Like 3

There is good for and agin for both colours;

I did mine blue as

1. The pilot himself did not disagree when he had the model in his hands

2. 19 Squadron colours were and are blue with white

3. afaik Dooley was a B flight leader, B flight colours are usually blue [flight colours being, usually, A = red, B = blue & C = yellow]

against this is

1. Was Dooley just being polite about the kit colours or forgetful ?

2. not much

3. the letter V would often fall into C flight, ie yellow

4. In a more recent interview with a ground-crewman, he is quoted as saying the colour was yellow. [but that is taken out of context, in the interview he was remembering the wing leading edge, but on the nose stripe his response was 'did it have one?' ]

Do it as you think it pleases you. Its your model

Let everyone else who argues with you about it take a long walk off a short pier 

• Like 5

Ah, controversy don't you just love it😉

I'm with BK - paint t how you want or as per the box art. Back in the day most of us would be none the wiser, and happy with the model looking like the box top. 

Looking forward to it Dave 🤓

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

I was considering buying (and doing) another one, but seeing as you've got it sorted Dave, I'll see what else I have. 

That box art is, for me, an enduring image from childhood.

Rob, please don’t let me stop you doing a similar kit. We all need a Dooleybird in our collections and this seems like the best time to have a go. Either way, see how things go. 
Chers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

This GB seems to be about level with the previous Matchbox one and the Heller and Airfix Classics and only just behind the Frog one of 2019 in terms of entries with months to go. Good job Matchbox kits can be quickly built so you might just have time for this, though Pat might struggle with his multiple builds😁.

Best of luck.

Pete

• Like 2

7 hours ago, klr said:

The artwork and the subject are so memorable that Airfix basically copied them ...

1121429-24595-97-720.jpg

Being psychic, @Rabbit Leader Dave may remember saying the following during the last Matchbox GB, two years before the event.......(Airfix released 'Dooleybird' in Jan 2019)

Rabbit Leader

Posted December 16, 2017

Now this may sound silly - however I would buy this kit again just for the box art alone, for it brings back so many happy memories. I hope that when Airfix release their 1/48 Mustang IV kit, they use their artistic licence to depict this aircraft in similar flying configuration. 

Spooky or what? 🤔

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Haha 2

Ah the veritable can of worms that is the blue/yellow colour Dooley was aware of the Matchbox kit colour I always think if you spent

hours flying the thing you would remember what colour the massive bit of metal right in front of you was!

Great choice Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Ah the veritable can of worms that is the blue/yellow colour Dooley was aware of the Matchbox kit colour I always think if you spent

hours flying the thing you would remember what colour the massive bit of metal right in front of you was!

Great choice Dave.

You'd think. But I met Roland Beamont once and asked him a similar question. He couldn't remember... 😄

• Like 1

Watching with great interest 😀

I've got most of one of these in the stash somewhere. I was planning, at some point in the future, to use the Matchbox nose art on an Airfix kit with the Freightdog P-51K (Mk IVa) conversion. I think the Matchbox kit is pretty much a late D from the box.

Matchbox must have sold thousands of these on the strength of the box art alone.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I built one of these for my Ceiling Air Force when I was a nipper :) bought from my local corner shop, where most of my Matchbox kits originated, one Saturday afternoon with carefully husbanded pocket money. Happy days!

Looking forward to seeing this come together, Dave!

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Whack!!! images of Will Smith and Chris Rock cross my mind with that fellow co-host slap! 

There was some good progress in the early stages mate, however I’ll admit to being too lazy to document anything meaningful. I’m still hopeful of some type of completion however my initial thoughts of a grand base display may need to be reined in somewhat. 

I’m hopeful that after this week is over, life might be a little less hectic which will give me eight weeks to pull my digit out and complete my three kits. 

Cheers… Good Cop. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Well, you've had 2 whole hours Dave, where's the finished item? Come on, get moving. :D

Lets just say that I’ve left the 10 year old Rabbit Leader behind (about 40 years ago that is) so the current incarnation is so much slower. These days, I’d be lucky to cement two parts together in that two hour period you’ve mentioned so how I expect to reduce the current stash is anyones guess! 

I’m also stuck in country Victoria at my daughters National Rowing championships, so you won’t see any progress from me until I fly back to Brisbane later this week. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2