Monogram 1/48 Dornier Do 335 A-6 Ameisenbär (Anteater) Paint Mule

Hi All

The Dornier Do 335 A-1 Pfeil ("Arrow") was a heavy fighter built by Dornier for Germany during World War II. The proposed two-seater trainer version (Do 335 A-6) was called Ameisenbär ("Anteater"). It's performance was predicted to be better than other twin-engine designs due to its unique push-pull configuration and the lower aerodynamic drag of the in-line alignment of the two engines, but delays in engine deliveries meant that only a handful were delivered before the war ended.

*Disclaimer*

This is to be a paint mule for my Arado 196, and so will not be finished in 81, 82

do335mu_2.JPG

(Camouflage of the Do 335:
A Critical Re-evaluation

By Michael Ullmann )

*Disclaimer Disclaimer*

And another thing, I doubt I'll use my general supplier Vallejo for the standard Luftwaffe maritime colours 72/73/65, but try my interpretations from Tamiya pots.

So anyway, the kit in question is from this boxing

DSCF1096.jpg

Won as part of a job lot, possibly started, possibly missing pieces, definitely one I've not made before.

DSCF1097.jpg

Also in the box is a P-47 Razorback that I have been using as an after hours stress relief subject.

To get an idea of the complexity of the kits, here's where I am with the P-47

DSCF1127.jpg

You are looking at a total of SEVEN parts at this stage (wings upper and lower, fuselage halves, cockpit tub)

Anyhoo, enough of it's boxmate, how does the 'eater go together?

DSCF1124.jpg

Among the words that immediately spring to mind are "Big", "Basic", and "Bloomin'eck"

Not to worry, I'm only in it for the surface area.

First things first, the cockpits

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

Yee Haw!

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

I gave myself the Do 335 kit for Christmas in 1979. I had forgotten Monogram's half-engine treatment. Back then I was impressed with the level of detail. Built with gear up and brush painted with Polly S acrylics. Looked great hanging from the ceiling.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2

Hi All

A couple of evenings pottering on with this, firstly getting the wings together, and then doodling on the cockpits.

The wing light doesn't have anything behind it

DSCF1129.jpg

But that is the subject of a side quest!

Cockpits, interiors etc done in a pseudo Grey, wings done in Vallejo primer grey

DSCF1130.jpg

Wing light aperture filled with Kristal Klear awaiting painting later

DSCF1131.jpg

Cockpits done with some red, yellow and dry brush silver

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1132.jpg

Look a little snug for the 1/48 pilot.

Anyhoo, this is not the aim.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Getting the halves together took a couple of tries as it as quite warped

DSCF1266.jpg

And quite a slack fit too

DSCF1265.jpg

Not to worry, the instructions say just put some tape over the top and it will bring the sides in.

Meanwhile, back in The lab, after a couple of tape sessions, stronger words were needed

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1268.jpg

While that was in traction, I wormed and painted the other one with Vallejo VA71.047 US grey

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

Perhaps I should have used that one as the mule :banghead:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Hi All

Oh. My. Word.

Many, many sessions in The Lab and I've only got this far

DSCF1284.jpg

Each edge of each part and panel needs to be glued and clamped and left to set individually to get them anywhere near lining up.

Guess which edge is drying in that pic?

(It's the short angled leading edge of the rear engine access panel, other parts clamped to get it somewhere near :owww:)

So anyway, in the spaces between, the P-47 has been completed prior to decals.

They skinned over on contact with water (like a thick milky sludge), and shattered when they were moved.

So there's that :wall:

Anyone know of a decal set for these two? Preferably Razorback with a red nose and yellow tail? Ideally with Do335 trainer canopy masks?

I may start a Stress Relief Build "Stress Relief Build"

Comments and suggestions and decals welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hannant's has a large number of P-47 razorback decals, and also a selection of masks for the DO-335 (clear parts and markings)

A paint mule is the perfect excuse to try masking markings.

The DO-335 actually can make up into a pretty nice kit, just takes a little carpentry!

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Hannant's has a large number of P-47 razorback decals, and also a selection of masks for the DO-335 (clear parts and markings)

A paint mule is the perfect excuse to try masking markings.

The DO-335 actually can make up into a pretty nice kit, just takes a little carpentry!

Thanks @Tail-Dragon, you're right, I'd not thought of it like that :thumbsup:. I must have put in the wrong search for the Do, but now I'm just waiting for the orders to arrive.

Just hope I can get it nailed together by then...

35 minutes ago, ProfSparks said:

Just hope I can get it nailed together by then...

Remember - measure, saw, hammer, swear ... measure, saw, hammer, swear, repeat as necessary!

• Haha 1

Hi All

Following @Tail-Dragon advice, I finally secured the panels, and filled in the gaps with a "smear" of PPP

DSCF1285.jpg

DSCF1286.jpg

They fit where they touch, but give the distinct impression of the finished model being displayed with them off.

Anyhoo, a blast of Vallejo Grey primer to give a base coat similar to the 196 plastic colour

DSCF1287.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

And here she'll sit for a little while.

I'm claiming the dodgy panel fit is the real life result of being used as a training airframe, and having quite a hard life at the hands of student drivers :P

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

I ended up having to saw off the molded in engines and make tabs to hold the panels and exhaust - your way is much quicker!

The old Monogram kits build up surprisingly well, just requiring more work.  (and lots of 5 minute epoxy!)

Looking very good so far, what paints are you going to use?

rear front

• Like 4

Hi All

On 2/1/2022 at 1:38 AM, Tail-Dragon said:

I ended up having to saw off the molded in engines and make tabs to hold the panels and exhaust - your way is much quicker!

The old Monogram kits build up surprisingly well, just requiring more work.  (and lots of 5 minute epoxy!)

Looking very good so far, what paints are you going to use?

That certainly looks a neater solution, and easier to paint the exhausts too. If I was building in earnest I'd probably do that too.

Paints for this one are going to be nearest match from Tamiya, starting with the yellow wing tips (that I know it never had) undercoated in XF-15 Flat Flesh

DSCF1289.jpg

Then a coat of XF-3 Flat Yellow

DSCF1290.jpg

Lovely coverage, deep colour, my best yellow success yet, almost tempted by that Matchbox Twin Otter (almost...)

Tips masked, and on with the Blue du Jour XF-23 Light Blue

DSCF1291.jpg

DSCF1292.jpg

DSCF1293.jpg

DSCF1294.jpg

DSCF1295.jpg

Quite a variable shade depending on how you view it, but as can be seen from that last pic it's very much like Vallejo VA71.255 Light Blue RLM65, and just a little darker than VA71.257 Light Blue RLM76

It's had a coat of Quick Shine before moving on tho the topside.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

I've been reading your in progress photos of the 335, and I remember not having the fit issues you had between the wings and fuselage. Maybe the kit faced lots of heat and the plastic warped because of that?

• Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 21:57, ProfSparks said:

Not to worry, I'm only in it for the surface area.

Quote of the century! 

It's good to know that there are other people as masochistic in their kit choices as I've been; you've done a great job and I reckon these will both end up looking far more respectable than they have any right to!

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 2/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, Sturmovik said:

I've been reading your in progress photos of the 335, and I remember not having the fit issues you had between the wings and fuselage. Maybe the kit faced lots of heat and the plastic warped because of that?

It just seemed to be the narrow flat sections along the sides of the cockpit voids, so could be heat, some sort of packing trauma, or perhaps the previous owner had goes with it. None of the other online builds I read had this issue, just my luck.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:10 PM, jackroadkill said:

Quote of the century! 

It's good to know that there are other people as masochistic in their kit choices as I've been; you've done a great job and I reckon these will both end up looking far more respectable than they have any right to!

Thanks, I don't pick them on purpose! Was meant to be a quick "slap it together OOB", but hey ho.

Anyhoo, to compensate for the state of the fuselage, the clear parts are commendably thin, finely engraved framing, and only one sprue attachment point

DSCF1296.jpg

They also mainly fit better than expected, with only the forward main canopy sitting proud and needing some filing down of the rear wall of the cockpit assembly

DSCF1306.jpg

Once fettled, she's starting to look the part

DSCF1307.jpg

I'd left the IP off from the forward cockpit to allow ballast to be dropped down and secured with PVA

DSCF1309.jpg

It needed quite a few old screws in there, but at least she'll be nose down.

While all that was setting, I started on masking the canopies with the Montex (made for the Tamiya kit)

DSCF1310.jpg

Hmm, just cut'n'shut with some Maskol?

DSCF1311.jpg

So anyway, some time later I had this

DSCF1312.jpg

This is the way.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Some time later...

DSCF1314.jpg

And a last look at the innards before they're sealed in

DSCF1315.jpg

A coat of Tamiya XF-27 Black Green, and some more masking ready for some XF-26 Deep Green

DSCF1328.jpg

Brings me to here

DSCF1329.jpg

She'll get some layers of Pledge to seal her in before the marking masks come out.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Masks came out. They're from Montex and designed for the Tamiya kit, but not specific for that fit like the canopy masking.

I rubbed some marker into them so I could see where they were, then stuck some tape over them to keep the shape in register

DSCF1332.jpg

They're quite thick and didn't conform well to surface details

DSCF1333.jpg

Nevertheless, they were shrouded in wide tape to prevent overspray

DSCF1335.jpg

White first, then black for the underside after swapping round some masking parts

DSCF1336.jpg

Not too bad, on a flat surface

DSCF1337.jpg

But on raised detail they were a bit leaky

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1339.jpg

And of course there was overspray too :wall:

Anyhoo, these areas were touched up with a sharp cocktail stick and resprayed, then the whole lot was covered in Flory Grime

DSCF1340.jpg

Always an interesting moment, will it come off again? (it did)

I tried the larger decals on the P-47, and as they held together I used them instead of going through the masking process.

Then everything got a coating of W&N matt, and are now solidifying before I remove the canopy masking

DSCF1341.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Hi All

All matted and on her own three legs

DSCF1342.jpg

Canopy masking came off too

DSCF1344.jpg

And some shots were taken in daylight thus

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1347.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1353.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

Thso, as for the crux of this experiment, how was this Anteater as a Mule?

Well, firstly, I think everyone will agree that the XF-26 Deep Green is just too bright, needs to be much more sombre and less contrasty. Another trip round my rack is called for.

However, I do like the XF-27 Black Green so I may stick with that.

Underside XF-23 also looks slightly bright, and as I'm limited with Tamiya I'm erring towards Vallejo Air 71.255 Light Blue RLM65 (the correct RLM for the Ar196)

Bright yellow though, must remember that!

For the sake of completeness, here's her Razorback boxmate

DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1352.jpg

I'm off to dig amongst my pile for a Mule II, who knows what will be in The Lab next.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2