KAI T-50B Golden Eagle. Any chance of a 1/72 kit? please :-)

Smudge

Considering that this is quite an important type for South Korea, and the current mount of their Air Forces 'Black Eagles' display team, I'm really surprised that none of the big kit manufacturers from the Far East have released a 1/72 scale kit.

Yes, there is the snap fit kit as reviewed here:

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989758-kai-t-50-golden-eagle-172-academy-multi-color-parts/

But as Julien notes it's really more of a toy. A bit disappointing really.

I would have thought that Academy would have done one. Apparently they do a nice one in 1/48.

I saw the 'Black Eagles' display at the Waddington Air Show a few years ago, and have been hoping for a 1/72 kit ever since.

If I put this topic in here, maybe some other modellers will get on board with me and post a few positive comments, Academy will have an 'epiphany' moment and release a shiny new 1/72 kit :D

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

So, this has had a few views, but not much in the way of any support. I'll just pop this in here and see if it will encourage anybody.

T-50 1

This is from the Black Eagles Wikipedia page (credit USAF) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eagles_aerobatic_team Check them out B)

How can you not want that in your collection of 1/72 modern jets? Inject a bit of colour to the run of the mill grey jet's 😬

I'll try and find some of my old pictures (they're on an old defunct desk top computer. I really should sort that out)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Hi Tony. That looks very smart. 

I'd still rather have a new state of the art kit from Academy (or any other manufacturer). But that is worth considering. 

Cheers for your support :)

I think the snap-fit kit is the best we're likely to get. It's attractive, but not nearly as widely used (and recognizable to mass market non-aviation experts) as something like the F-16.

With a quality snap kit that can serve as a basis for detailing, I don't consider this an official "gap" in 1/72 injection molded kits. Especially by comparison to types like the AMX, that should be even more popular yet only exist in resin or limited run/vac.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonywood said:

The Academy T.50 can be made into a very nice model using a donor F-16 and some scratch building. 

I bought some resin F-16 gear replacements to put into my T-50 for whenever I build it.  I'm planning on doing mine as a Philippine Air Force FA-50 aircraft.

12307483_734618820003416_386332446662199

Later,

Dave

• Like 3

On 15/01/2022 at 05:05, Julien said:

I to was hoping Academy would do a decent kit in 1.72 as their 1.48 kit is excellent.

Sadly no :( 

Never say no, Julien. I prefer to think 'not yet!'  

On 15/01/2022 at 05:58, CT7567 said:

....................by comparison to types like the AMX, that should be even more popular yet only exist in resin or limited run/vac.

Well, I agree that the AMX should definitely be modelled as a modern quality 1/72 kit. Very odd that it hasn't been, really. One for Italeri I would have thought. 

Maybe I'll start a thread up for the AMX too. But not yet. I need to stay focused on the rather more attractive T-50 :)

On 15/01/2022 at 06:22, e8n2 said:

........................ I'm planning on doing mine as a Philippine Air Force FA-50 aircraft.

Nice one, Dave. Thanks for the lovely photo :D

Thanks, Guys.

There are currently a lot of modern airframes which are overlooked by the kit makers: T-7 Redhawk, AMX Ghibli, Gripen NG to name but a few.

And don't get me started on the lack of F-111s, F-4Es or Mirage 2000Ds. Sad times...

Remember when we had even the YFs and What-ifs (like the F-19) on the shelves? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

There are currently a lot of modern airframes which are overlooked by the kit makers: T-7 Redhawk, AMX Ghibli, Gripen NG to name but a few.

And don't get me started on the lack of F-111s, F-4Es or Mirage 2000Ds. Sad times...

Remember when we had even the YFs and What-ifs (like the F-19) on the shelves? 

Plenty of new F-4 Phantoms around, both in 72 and 48 scale.

Mirage 2000? 1/72 Modelsvit and 1/48 Kinetic.

F-111 yes, that a strident note.

Funny that we just mentioned the AMX, and Italeri. 

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235105117-172nd-amx-from-italeri-in-2022-hopefully/ 

Just goes to show that maybe the big manufacturers do listen to us modellers. And every now and then will surprise us.

Maybe it will be Italeri that will give us a nice KAI T-50B?

On 17/01/2022 at 01:11, Robertone139 said:

Plenty of new F-4 Phantoms around, both in 72 and 48 scale.

- Especially late F-4Es and F-4Fs with slatted wings ;)

Mirage 2000? 1/72 Modelsvit and 1/48 Kinetic.

Particularly 2000Ds and Ns in 1/72 scale (it is either the old Heller or the Revell/Italri which both are incorrect vor diffrent reasons.

F-111 yes, that a strident note.

?

Hi @Aerobat

After doing a bit of internet research into this, it says 'stickers included' and looking at some pictures of built up models I'd say they were the vinyl type stickers similar to the other releases of this kit.

I've not been able to find this available in the UK. If your interested in a Black Eagles finish you might be interested in the set from DEKLS

https://dekls.square.site/product/Decals-T-50_Golden_Eagle-Black_Eagles_ROKAF-Scale-1%2F72/129?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=true&q=false&category_id=21

Cheers for your interest in the T-50 :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2022 at 12:56, Eric B. said:

................................in 1/72nd scale reminds me we also have no serious contender for the AIDC F-CK-1 same scale.  Regards

Yes that's quite true. Another home grown type from the far east that I would have thought to be a popular subject.

Maybe there isn't that much interest in these types as I had hoped :shrug:

So I bit the bullet and bought the Academy snap fix kit. It's better than I had feared to be fair. Some nice fine/restrained panel line detail and general level of detail is acceptable. Needs some decent Seat's for the cockpit, though. I might just put it on the stand and save the trouble of scratch building the gear and bays etc. 

Thanks to those of you who have shown an interest :pilot:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 6:56 AM, Eric B. said:

Hello

Everytime someone mentions the KAI T-50 missing in 1/72nd scale reminds me we also have no serious contender for the AIDC F-CK-1 same scale.  Regards

Eric  B.

There is one guy

That made all 3D printed interiors, wheel weels, new tail plus a weapons and fuel tank set in 1/72 but I don't remember exactly other than is from Facebook

Regards

Armando

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

There is one guy

That made all 3D printed interiors, wheel weels, new tail plus a weapons and fuel tank set in 1/72 but I don't remember exactly other than is from Facebook

Regards

Armando

Hi Armando, 

Wow, I would be interested to find who is he and if he sells his production.

Thank you for your information.

Eric B.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, Eric B. said:

Hi Armando, 

Wow, I would be interested to find who is he and if he sells his production.

Thank you for your information.

Eric B.

Eric B look here

https://www.facebook.com/Philippine-Military-Scale-Models-1548733742048308/

Regards

Armando

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My problem is he is doing it through Facebook and I am not now, have never been, and never will be on Facebook.  The conversion set looks nice and the price looks OK as well.  I'll have to bug some of the guys at my club meeting tomorrow night to see about ordering a conversion set for me.

Later,

Dave

Hi,

Thank you dearly Armando.

Huh, exactly same as Dave (e8n2). I am no Facebook person, but will try to find a solution with fellow modelers.

Best to you.

Eric B.

9 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Hi,

Thank you dearly Armando.

Huh, exactly same as Dave (e8n2). I am no Facebook person, but will try to find a solution with fellow modelers.

Best to you.

Eric B.

Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Later,

Dave