1/144th Mikr Mir H.P Hastings C.Mk.1A, 36 Sqn, RAF Colerne, 1966.

Hiya Folks,

I am a sucker for RAF transports for obvious reasons and one aircraft that I have really wanted to build as an injection moulded kit (as opposed to the 1/72nd Airways and 144th Wesh Models vacuforms which I built, very badly, many moons ago!) ....... is the Handley Page Hastings! So although it wasn`t in 1/72nd scale as I`d really like..... when Mikr Mir added the Hastings to their ever expanding 1/144th scale RAF transport collection I just had to buy one and give it a go. Construction was pretty straightforward, although the tailplane took some work to fit and blend into the fuselage,.....this being because there us now a  C.2/T.5 kit available which includes optional parts for the later lower mounted, larger horizontal tailplane fitted to this later variant,.... and of course the kit also includes a radar bulge below the fuselage for the radar training T.5. My model was finished using rattle can silver and white and as the blue in the kit roundels was too light I used Xtradecal roundels, fin flashes and blue stripes for the cheat lines instead. Now I`m not used to working in such a small scale and my eyes are struggling these days, so I missed a few details which now appear glaringly obvious in these large photos,... ah well! Despite this I`m still pleased with how the model turned out.  I`d love to do a few more including at least one grey and white Coastal Command Met Recce aircraft,..... so if Xtradecal would like to do a sheet like they did for the 1/144th Beverley & Argosy,...... there are some great colour scheme variations out there for the Hastings, including the RNZAF ones too! 

Here is the kit box art;

Box-crop-KMW-700.jpg

And here is the model;

DSCF3164-NEW.jpg

DSCF3170-NEW.jpg

DSCF3173-NEW.jpg

DSCF3168-NEW.jpg

DSCF3174-NEW.jpg

DSCF3161-NEW.jpg

DSCF3144-NEW.jpg

DSCF3153-NEW.jpg

DSCF3154-NEW.jpg

DSCF3157-NEW.jpg

DSCF3150-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Great work Tony, you’ve really captured the look & feel of the Hastings there despite the small scale. I’ve always been a fan of it myself too, I love the low-slung look of the four Hercules engines and your penultimate photo especially shows the real presence of the aircraft (one of the few plusses of it being a tail dragger!).

• Like 2

Hi Tony

The Hastings looks really good, I have the S & M Hastings in my stash.

I remember them when I was about ten years old, very often, flying over, very low and very slow, in formations of three. I assume from Colerne, perhaps.

Maek

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johnny akes said:

Great work Tony, you’ve really captured the look & feel of the Hastings there despite the small scale. I’ve always been a fan of it myself too, I love the low-slung look of the four Hercules engines and your penultimate photo especially shows the real presence of the aircraft (one of the few plusses of it being a tail dragger!).

Thanks mate,..... yeah that is what I like about the Hastings too,... plus I can see the Halifax in it too,....... I`d really like to build a Suez one with a Jeep underslung,...... with the spinners removed to help cool the engines. It definitely does have a presence, especially from the front.  

7 minutes ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi Tony

The Hastings looks really good, I have the S & M Hastings in my stash.

I remember them when I was about ten years old, very often, flying over, very low and very slow, in formations of three. I assume from Colerne, perhaps.

Maek

Thanks mate,..... I wanted one of those S&M Hsting`s but jut couldn`t afford one,...... I hope you enjoy it one day. Never got to see any of the classic trnsports fly,.... Hstings, Valetta, Beverley, Argosy, Brittania etc,.......  seeing three at low level must have been an experience? 

Cheers fella`s,

Tony

1 minute ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Amazing work in such a small scale.

Thanks mate,..... it is a bit `wee' in real life!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Tony,

I can still see those Hastings formations in my minds-eye 60 years later!!

On annual ATC camp, I flew circuits and bumps in a Britannia at Lyneham.

There were Comets as well, plus a Meteor T7 dumped near the control tower! And Airfix kits were 2 shillings (10p) each!

Mark 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi Tony,

I can still see those Hastings formations in my minds-eye 60 years later!!

On annual ATC camp, I flew circuits and bumps in a Britannia at Lyneham.

There were Comets as well, plus a Meteor T7 dumped near the control tower! And Airfix kits were 2 shillings (10p) each!

Mark 

Halycon days mate,..... I`m a child of the 70`s so missed all of that,...... and never got to go in the Air Cadets because I was playing so much football and I had to do training every night instead,.... with two games at a weekend,...... so I missed out on the Chipmunk too! Almost got a professional contract,..... but was in the Army by the time Blackburn Rovershed scout came to the house and my Dad didn`t tell me until years afterwards! 

18 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Nicely done! :clap2:

Thanks mate. 

• Like 1

Lovely Hastings Tony, I like it! I wish Airfix will one day produce a Hastings in 1/72 scale.

A funny story comes to my mind (read it in "Aeroplane" magazine perhaps). A Hastings was on its way to the other side of the World carrying the hot components for "Short Granite" test. During a refuel stop in the USA an American airman approached and asked the captain

- Whats that aeroplane of yours called then?

- Its called Hastings, replied the proud captain

- I think it should be called a Dragon

- Now why is that?

- 'cause its draggin' its bottom

The story didn't describe what happened after this insult against Transport Command's Finest.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

That's really great!

Thanks mate. 

32 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Lovely Hastings Tony, I like it! I wish Airfix will one day produce a Hastings in 1/72 scale.

A funny story comes to my mind (read it in "Aeroplane" magazine perhaps). A Hastings was on its way to the other side of the World carrying the hot components for "Short Granite" test. During a refuel stop in the USA an American airman approached and asked the captain

- Whats that aeroplane of yours called then?

- Its called Hastings, replied the proud captain

- I think it should be called a Dragon

- Now why is that?

- 'cause its draggin' its bottom

The story didn't describe what happened after this insult against Transport Command's Finest.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti,..... yes I was hoping against hope that a Hastings might be mentioned the other day for the 2021 range launch,....... h well!!

I read that story too,....... but then American`s were always laughing at our aeroplanes,........ the Shackleton got its fair share of comments too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Bunting said:

Another beauty Tony! The scale has not posed any problems for you.  Plus it must be easier on your TARDIS cabinets!

Cheers

Haha,..... thanks Bill,....... believe it or not,.... I`m struggling to find a place for it! 

Great result Tony 👍 I've been eyeing this kit up since it's release and may give it a whirl now I've seen how well yours has turned out. Yeh...the smaller scale is a bit of a shock to the system at first but once you've got your eye on they're not too bad. I think that applies to any unfamiliar scale really whether it be the varying scales in armour, aircraft or whatever. I dabble in 1/144 from time to time and it takes a model or two to get into the groove. But then when you 'up-scale' again things look huge! 😅 I think the Hastings suits this scale rather well though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Great result Tony 👍 I've been eyeing this kit up since it's release and may give it a whirl now I've seen how well yours has turned out. Yeh...the smaller scale is a bit of a shock to the system at first but once you've got your eye on they're not too bad. I think that applies to any unfamiliar scale really whether it be the varying scales in armour, aircraft or whatever. I dabble in 1/144 from time to time and it takes a model or two to get into the groove. But then when you 'up-scale' again things look huge! 😅 I think the Hastings suits this scale rather well though.

Thanks mate,...... yeah I do flit between scales and don`t usually have any problems,..... but my eyes are not what they were and it was quite small. I have an Argosy and a Beverley on the way,.... so can see a small collection coming together,.... I have a few Herks too.  

Hi, Tony,

Lovely built model as usual. I`ve got one of these and the S & M one to make sometime maybe. Had a flight in one of these in the mid seventies belonging to the BCBS at Lindholme on a ATC camp just before it closed. Superb!

All the best and a Happy New Year.

Steve.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rafdec said:

Hi, Tony,

Lovely built model as usual. I`ve got one of these and the S & M one to make sometime maybe. Had a flight in one of these in the mid seventies belonging to the BCBS at Lindholme on a ATC camp just before it closed. Superb!

All the best and a Happy New Year.

Steve.

Hiya Steve,...... Happy New Year to you too mate! Lucky lad getting a flight with 1066 Sqn , bet that was superb,..... and glad you like the model mate,..... you`ll have to do a sheet of 1/144th RAF Transports mate as the MM decals are not the best ever. 

4 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

That a lovely looking build

Thanks mate. 

37 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks mate,...... yeah I do flit between scales and don`t usually have any problems,..... but my eyes are not what they were and it was quite small. I have an Argosy and a Beverley on the way,.... so can see a small collection coming together,.... I have a few Herks too.  

Yeh. There's quite a good choice of RAF post war heavies in the smaller scale if you shop around and with some conversions and resin thrown in. I think most can be modelled. Three V bombers, Herc, Argosy, Beverley, Nimrod, VC-10, Atlas, C-17, Tristar, (RC-135,  and E-3D I think?, Comet, Shackleton, Britannia, Belfast as well as your Hastings. Have i missed any?

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 1

Tony……….how do you build so many models with a high degree of precision and accuracy?????  I can only put together a fraction in a year of what you produce in a month.  This one is yet another beauty from you.  :like:

I am not worthy  :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb build, looks fantastic Tony.  Both you and Mikromir really have captured the 'look' of the Hastings extremely well.

Thanks James,....... I was impressed with how they got the look of the real aircraft off so well to. 

46 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Tony……….how do you build so many models with a high degree of precision and accuracy?????  I can only put together a fraction in a year of what you produce in a month.  This one is yet another beauty from you.  :like:

I am not worthy  :worthy:

Mike

Cheers Mike,...... I just have quite a few part built kits that I`m slowly plodding through mate,...... I tend to model in batches so a few come in quite close to each other nd they aren`t all that accurate really,...... I make my fair share of bloopers, especially when I`m tired or in a lot of pain.  Everybody models to their own speed,..... it isn`t a race mate,...... just enjoy it,... it is supposed to be relaxing LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1