Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Finished 29/03/22

Hi everyone

Long time no see.

The past few months have been a real modelling black hole where I haven't been bothered to go to my workshop let alone do any modelling.

Builds that I've started are as they were with no progress being made on any of them, I think that over my recent modelling history I've lost my way and for some reason

felt the need to over complicate my builds with too much resin and etch. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy working with both mediums but they can sap the enjoyment that comes

with just sticking bits of plastic together and squirting paint everywhere.

I have a little time on my hands over the next couple of weeks (I start a new job on the 24th) I thought it was about time to get back to basics and build a model OOB and just enjoy it,

so to that end and as the title suggests, I'm going to build the fairly new Airfix 1/48 Chippy. I started by just gluing the motor together, just because it looks rather nice and I enjoy just

gluing things together...

P1040536

P1040537

P1040535

..I'm not sure if I'm going to build the model with the engine exposed but it really is a lovely little thing..well done Airfix!

I have splattered some paint around and painted up the cockpit area, I used several different shades of dark grey, black and light grey to try and get some tonal variations

because otherwise its pretty boring in there..

P1040530

P1040531

P1040532

P1040533

I will add some seatbelts in due course and tonight I'll get the instrument panels finished using the kit decals.

Thanks for looking and see you all soon

Iain 

• Like 20

Glad to hear that you're coming to the end of your dry spell, and what a cracking little aircraft to get under way with.

1 hour ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I enjoy just gluing things together...

This is the essence of the job, really, isn't it?  It's so easy to get carried away with things like etch, resin, making the endless corrections etc, and it can be a real relief just to get building.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I thought it was about time to get back to basics and build a model OOB and just enjoy it,

...I think you just invented the term "Mojo-Build" for something I guess we all been in and (hopefully) passed through with builds like this...

🙂

All the best for the Chipmunk and, of course, the new job!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Glad to hear that you're coming to the end of your dry spell, and what a cracking little aircraft to get under way with.

This is the essence of the job, really, isn't it?  It's so easy to get carried away with things like etch, resin, making the endless corrections etc, and it can be a real relief just to get building.

Cheers buddy. I'm happy that I have taken a step back and remembered what making a model is all about - enjoyment and I have to say I'm loving this little plane.

3 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

...I think you just invented the term "Mojo-Build" for something I guess we all been in and (hopefully) passed through with builds like this...

🙂

All the best for the Chipmunk and, of course, the new job!

Thank you (on both counts!)

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice start Iain. 

We all need a mojo restorer now and then. Will follow along as this one’s on my to do list at some point. 

James 

Welcome aboard buddy - I hope I can do it justice

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s a great start, the cockpit colour looks very realistic. 

Thanks buddy I appreciate it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Looking good - that cockpit brings back many treasured memories for me, and I suspect a of of BM folk.

Me too! Although I was never in the ATC I did fly G-APLO out of Newquay airport back in 2017 and had a whale of a time 😁

12 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Glad you have reconnected to your hobby,  Following your Chipmunk build with interest- the instrument panel looks good.

Colin

Hey Colin thanks buddy, the instrument panel OOB is ace all I’ve done is slap on some paint and stick on the sticker!

cheers

Iain 

• Like 1

Hey everyone

Just another small update on my Chipmunk. I decided to paint the engine just to see how it looked and once again I'm very impressed..

IMG_2918

IMG_2919

IMG_2920

IMG_2921

..Another well done Airfix from me!

As you can see from the pictures nothing is glued yet I'm waiting for some harnesses to arrive before I button her up but once again OOB she certainly looks the part..

IMG_2922

IMG_2923

Anyway that all from me, we're off down the pub for a couple of swift ones..

Cheers

Iain

• Like 15

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Update 13/01/22

Going to follow along with this one.  Got this kit for Christmas & planning to start it soon so all tips greatly appreciated.  I do have a hankering to stick a motor in that engine though & make the prop turn.  Maybe some nav lights….

• Like 1

Looking good Iain! I have this very kit at the top of the pile to do as a 6AEF aircraft from the mid 80s (yes, yet another ex-cadet!) Look forward to seeing this come together,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, perdu said:

Aint that just lovely, 👍

Why thank you

On 1/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Iain , it's a cracking kit isn't it, I am doing one as well at the mo and it is lovely  to put together, just painting mine at the mo.

Great job on this.

Chris

Hey Chris. Thank you buddy, yeah it really is fab kit some of the tolerances are very tight but it’s nothing that a swipe with a sanding stick won’t cure.

23 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

indeed - your 'black' looks great- what paints are you using?

Hiya for the interior I used Tamiya tyre black, dark grey and light grey for the scuffs plus washes in grey and black.

23 hours ago, bar side said:

Going to follow along with this one.  Got this kit for Christmas & planning to start it soon so all tips greatly appreciated.  I do have a hankering to stick a motor in that engine though & make the prop turn.  Maybe some nav lights….

Now that I would like to see!

23 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Looking good Iain! I have this very kit at the top of the pile to do as a 6AEF aircraft from the mid 80s (yes, yet another ex-cadet!) Look forward to seeing this come together,

Cheers,

Roger

Hey Roger, I remember Chipmunks when I was at Swinderby back in ‘91 8FTS I think? I’ve always liked the red and white colour scheme they carried.

cheers everyone

Iain

• Like 4

Nice work so far Iain!

One tip though: avoid Droopy Wing Syndrome!  

On 1/5/2022 at 9:20 PM, keithjs said:

I think I can take credit for curing the problem back in July last year.  It's simply a case of removing the lower wing locating pins as the tight tolerances causes the pin to force the wing apart as it doesn't sit in the hole correctly. This also helps in lining up the wingtip nav lights properly.

• Like 1

Know that feeling Iain.. it took me 3 months to do my latest build.. too much worrying about parts of the build ....sometimes a simple enjoyment of sticking plastic together is just the ticket. I tend to over complicate my builds of late too. 

love the Engine bay and the cockpit so far it's looking really nice!

Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Nice work so far Iain!

One tip though: avoid Droopy Wing Syndrome!  

Bugger! I've just glued the wings on and yes I think they do have a slight droop and no the wing tips don't line up (I'll take some pictures later today once it has had chance to go off a little) 😟

4 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Know that feeling Iain.. it took me 3 months to do my latest build.. too much worrying about parts of the build ....sometimes a simple enjoyment of sticking plastic together is just the ticket. I tend to over complicate my builds of late too. 

love the Engine bay and the cockpit so far it's looking really nice!

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy, Yeah your absolutely right I tend to go over board with AM which takes for ever to prep and fit (not always that well I have to say) and it just becomes a chore, but this little kit is making me enjoy myself again.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Like many others, this is bringing back many happy memories for me too.

The last time I flew a Chipmunk was at RAF Benson on an ATC summer camp when I was a civilian instructor in the early 70s. Had a great time but the so and so in the front let me taxi past our parking slot and I had to turn it around to get back!

Looking good so far.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Like many others, this is bringing back many happy memories for me too.

The last time I flew a Chipmunk was at RAF Benson on an ATC summer camp when I was a civilian instructor in the early 70s. Had a great time but the so and so in the front let me taxi past our parking slot and I had to turn it around to get back!

Looking good so far.

John

Hi John. It seems that there are a lot of folks on BM who have had similar experiences, fantastic times eh?

Cheers

Iain

Hi everyone

Well the wings are on and ummmm...

51822040794_e861225a81_b.jpg

The black on the wing tip shows how much material I will need to remove (its the same on the other side) and yes that is a glue mark..

51820749682_7cce3bfcb8_b.jpg

51821696371_c23902a141_b.jpg

Umm I had to use some sprue goo to fill some of the seams....yes that is a finger print!

51822040744_3b28f72c10_b.jpg

51821696411_5b2911f761_b.jpg

And a few pictures of the airframe essentially finished (other than clean up)

51822443520_7bbca5b6e8_b.jpg

51820775262_718c25850c_b.jpg

51822066269_6a2317fb29_b.jpg

Looking at the starboard horizontal stab it looks like its slight squiff....well its not now!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Update 15/01/22
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Well its been a wee while since I actively posted anything what with life, COVID (grrrrrrr) and stuff getting in the way but just to show that I have been plodding away slowly

here are a couple of photo's of my Chipmunk. I'm building her as WB585, No 2 FTS.The decals by Cartograph are beautiful (as you'd expect) and the kit as a whole,

although not flawless still builds up to a very pleasing replica of a very iconic airplane...

51914480458_a43391d6d5_b.jpg

51914480453_491a81dbd8_b.jpg

I don't actually have that much more to do on her, all the main components are completed, I have a seat harness from Eduard ready for fitting and a little decaling to complete.

Once I have finished her I'm going to turn my attention back to my Revell Phantom FGR2 build as that has been sat on the shelf for way too long.

Cheers everyone

Iain

• Like 11

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Update 02/03/22