Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Finished 29/03/22

Looks great Iain. I don’t have this kit yet but the red and white liveries are IMHO by far the nicest for when I get around to building one. 

Looking forward to to seeing the Phantom back on the bench. 

Well done. 

James

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bar side said:

Looking sharp.  Waiting now to see how your canopy goes.  Mine is just about to come out of the box I think 

Hiya

Thank you. It’s a really good kit, the only real problem that I’m aware of is the excessive negative bend/curve of the wing which is easily rectified by removing the locating pins and the canopy is a bit of a faff to put together, but other than that she’s a little gem I think you’ll enjoy the experience.

13 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looks great Iain. I don’t have this kit yet but the red and white liveries are IMHO by far the nicest for when I get around to building one. 

Looking forward to to seeing the Phantom back on the bench. 

Well done. 

James

Hi James

Thanks for the kind words. I have to agree the red/white/grey training livery just suits this plane to a T, it reminds me of my time in ‘91 going through basic training at RAF Swinderby, happy days 👍

And yes the Phantom - I’m very keen to get back to work on that one, she’s crying out to get finished.

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed Ian, love that paintwork and scheme.

Great job

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you buddy, I gotta say yours turned out rather splendidly too, it’s a cracking little kit isn’t it?

many thanks everyone

Iain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Thank you buddy, I gotta say yours turned out rather splendidly too, it’s a cracking little kit isn’t it?

Thanks Iain , pleased with ghe way it turned out.  It certainly is a lovely kit, congratulations to Airfix for releasing another cracking kit.  

Chris

• Like 1

It's looking very sharp. I love that scheme too - there seem to have been a few variations of red and white. I have the old 1/72 version in the stash waiting for some red, white and grey.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

It's looking very sharp. I love that scheme too - there seem to have been a few variations of red and white. I have the old 1/72 version in the stash waiting for some red, white and grey.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Thanks very much - There certainly does seem to be a few variations on a theme with regards to FTS paint schemes, which ever one its painted in they all look gorgeous! 

All the best

Iain

That looks stunning! The engine especially really stands out, fantastic work. I have one in my to do pile, fond memories of AEF as a cadet out of RAF Newton. The flights were great, waddling out to the chippy strapped to a parachute was less fun. Anyone remember the flight safety film they showed?

• Like 1

This is an excellent way to get your mojo back, and it looks like it has been found.

Having just completed one of these (in Army colours) I am very impressed with what you have done. I found the canopy was the trickiest bit overall.

Cheers, Ray

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, thommo said:

Looks great.

Built the 1/72 Airfix Chipy with our daughter when she was about 7 and it was far more basic than that 1/48 version.

Thanks buddy.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:24 AM, Biggles87 said:

Splendid paintwork Iain.

John

Hi John

Many thanks mate

On 3/4/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ray S said:

This is an excellent way to get your mojo back, and it looks like it has been found.

Having just completed one of these (in Army colours) I am very impressed with what you have done. I found the canopy was the trickiest bit overall.

Cheers, Ray

Hi Ray

Thank you - I saw your build, very nice (even though it was Army -  oh the horror!) and yes the canopy is a bit of a devil to put together and now I've unmasked mine I've as bit of a mess of it.

Cheers all

Iain

Hi everyone

Just a quick update for you my Chipmunk edges ever closer to getting finished, I just need to add the seat belts, attach the windscreen and canopy, add the wheels and all the little bits and pieces so I can finally call it finished..

51921209607_1c32465ba5_b.jpg

51922179676_78b53f8106_b.jpg

51922275483_3c2538ecb6_b.jpg

umm that canopy really needs some work..

Anyway all the best

Iain

• Like 8

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Update 06/03/22
17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo lovely,  this is looking absolutely splendid Iain. I do love this scheme.   I did have a bit of fun with the canopy myself although not too bad.

Great work 

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks buddy, the canopy really is a bit of a bally pain in the posterior, when I removed the masks it pulled some of the paint away and that bar thingy in the rear of the canopy must have been knocked when I was painting it coz it’s sitting ever so slightly skew whiff, still not too worry there are bigger things in this world to worry about.

Once again much appreciate your input

all the best

Iain

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all

Well she's finally finished, I have to say its not my finest work but it does look like a Chipmunk and the kit itself is very very nice, anyway here's a quick shot of the completed model I'll do an RFI later once everything has set..

51968529606_8fbd3960eb_b.jpg

Does anyone remember this...

51968531931_ba78c20a2f_b.jpg

I think its time to get my Phantom across the finish line 🙂

All the best

Iain

• Like 6

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Black is Black I need my mojo back. A simple OOB Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 build. Finished 29/03/22

Hello,     you say it’s not your best  🤨 .   But, I think differently, I’m picking up a feel good vibe from this rascal, how’s ya mojo?      Think you deserve a nicely-nicely from me    😉.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hello,     you say it’s not your best  🤨 .   But, I think differently, I’m picking up a feel good vibe from this rascal, how’s ya mojo?      Think you deserve a nicely-nicely from me    😉.

Hey Amos - Thank you, I really struggled with the canopy; its multi stage construction seemed overly complicated to me although I can understand why it was designed that way.

My mojo btw has returned in abundance and I really am looking forward to getting my Phantom finished followed by my Kinetic Harrier GR3.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It looks rather Splendid Iain great work. 

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks buddy I really enjoyed building her

4 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Cracking job Iain. 

Bring on the Phantom!

James 

Hi James many thanks mate - yeah I'm looking forward to putting the Phantom to bed!

Cheers

Iain👍

• Like 2