Revell Aqua colour. Water down or not?

Roy-Adam

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and I'm waiting on a delivery of Revell Aqua colour paint.  I'll mainly be applying by brush and I read somewhere that this paint needs watering down for airbrush or brush use.  I would have thought that no thinning is required for brush use, but I don't want to be wrong. Any views please?

Roy

You can use them straight out of the pot, but if you're ok to give it a couple of coats then it's better to thin down (water is ok, although I prefer the aqua thinner) as you tend to get less in the way of brush marks. Also be aware that some colours cover better than others - the gold and whites in particular are likely to need more than two coats whether you thin them down or not. I've never airbrushed them so can't speak on that score. Also, the semi-gloss black (302) appears to form lumps if thinned too much, not sure why this colour has and none of the others but something else to be aware of (you'll be fine for a while with new pots though).

1 minute ago, Roy-Adam said:

Thank you Jenko. 

Sorry didn't notice you are in Spain not the UK.  :doh:

Dick

Edited by jenko

No worries Jenko. I guess you're referring to availability?  To be honest that was one reason why I chose to use Revell Aqua instead of their enamel, because they are not allowed to deliver internationally as it's flammable. I'm new to modelling but I hope I'll find a Spanish supplier, but they seem to be like rocking horse p**.

Smiled at rocking horse P** even at 85 years old that is a new one on me. Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.  Regarding paint as a long time user of Aqua I would say that more often than not it should be thinned. It also doesn’t have great gloss properties in my experience & needs a top coat of a modelling gloss varnish if this is what you require.

• Like 1

Thank you Old John. My build (and it's my first) is a Revell London bus 1:24. I'm not keen on getting an airbrush because if I don't keep the hobby up it'll be a waste of money. So for that reason do you think just using a brush will work on such a large model?  Also, how much water to add; is there an easy formula?

Thanking you in advance.

Roy

Having built 2  Revell 1 24th scale buses  I would not have liked to tackle it hand painted.Then again I am not a good large surface hand painter.You have certainly jumped in at the deep end for your 1st build.Hope it all goes well. I have often used spray cans so this could be the way to go. Any type of painting can be difficult I am not above spoiling a model at the main paint stage.Using a air brush is no guarantee of perfect results,practice is needed.If you do go down this rout don't fall into the trap of thinking if results are not great a better airbrush will be the cure.I have had quite a few before I realised it was my fault not the brushes. A cheap brush can give superb results in the right hands. Sorry for longwinded post, but you are just starting &  have picked a difficult 1st build but It is a great hobby .

• Like 1

I've read many times how difficult this model is, even for the experienced.  But I feel it's the right one for me purely for nostalgic reasons because, being a Londoner, it's the bus I used to get to school and into town, (didn't like school, but liked the ride, especially upstairs where I could smoke🙄). When I was looking for a model it just kept calling, so I gave in. I'm going in open eyed and am certainly going to give it my best shot but I know it's going to be hard.

Going by the information you and others have given me I'm pretty sure I'm going to use a spray can for the outside body shell and brush for everything else.

Thanks again.

Roy

I use Revell Aqua routinely from a brush, I usually add a small amout of water as it is a particularly thick paint. No scientific formula, I put some paint into a palette, dip a brush into a pot of tap water then stir it into the paint.

For large red definitely go for a rattle can, the Revell reds do not have sufficient coverage.

The Vallejo Model Colour and AK Interactive 3rd gen paints are also very good for brushing with a little water thinning.

I agree To me this is the way to go. Guessed there was a nostalgic reason for choice of kit.Take your time & stick to it. There is a lot of work involved the seats alone are a big job. Keep us up to date on your progress. It is a fine model  which you will be justly proud of. When you finish it put it to one side & when you look at it again a couple of weeks later you will be surprised how much it has improved. Plus I have seen some absolutely brilliant 1st kit models built. Yours may be the one that shows us all the way.  

Another one recommending spray cans for the main body - probably the easiest way to get a good finish over a large area such as a body. Don't forget though that you'll need a primer before the colour coat - I use Halfords (car paints, not sure what the Spanish equivalent is) and after that you can use model or automotive paints as you wish. Just make sure to smooth off the primer before the colour coat to get the best finish.

• Like 2