Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

Really appreciate the comments and encouragement, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Graham Boak, @mark.au. I looked again this morning and feeling like it'll do. Not perfect, but not sure what I would change, so moved on to starboard. Interestingly, the paint's interaction with the blue in the decal is a "smear" sort of effect--not sure why that happens, but I clearly ended up with blue rubbing around in a way I would normally be unhappy about but in this case feel is just fine.

y4mge9BFPBPVYFkR9VdVj3b7mCO7IHdWoyFenPSw

Thanks again, @Corsairfoxfouruncle for pointing this all out--it's added an interesting element I would have missed otherwise! Certainly complicating things, but in an intriguing way!

• Like 3

Letters applied starboard...

y4mUOCaRXCu3IZ_KRjrTz7tidPWQNJHT_6liS4c9

... and then cockpit taped up again ready for spraying.

y4m_BaPgozNbkZO7o6stlxr1Lv7KcIDn71QNJMa-

I was worried perhaps it was all too dark but in the end I might have actually overdone the spraying!

y4mI0nroc7qRBpU5O0m51Vyzv8OC3GAb67YRdS14

y4mtwutLVCA34XynDKOictEHAOhQJppRajqozIzk

Oh well, that's that. I moved on to the underwing lights. First, some paint...

y4m6ruM1ulLQNj4c8t29_vYZoDMV2wvw5ebIjZom

And then some Kristal Klear on top.

y4msYDbTHH_gEXIGJRbCfeDeZ3owQW7LHKxd4bUB

While that dries, time to paint the black panels around the exhausts and cockpit.

y4myZLEQCRjARAscXZETl59jKUYdyfXdB8x1KtJB

y4mvtMMySbMmKgVkP7KZ3c9ygG8i8mwOlrRPcbrL

y4mvJPlL9qvvMviDi5lQuDEth2K8-PRLjGHZ_kTM

• Like 10

Oooh now, that's a really good idea !!

Congrats Sir !!

I'll catch up later, but as far as I already see, You did a great job !!

Congratulations !! 

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

What a great idea for a project (but an enormous amount of work)!

Think I'd need to be pretty careful ordering some of those decals. Mrs Stickler might wonder what I'd been up to if she found Juicy Jugs 2 in my browsing history!!

• Haha 5

@Corsairfoxfouruncle@opus999--thanks for the positive comments regarding the overspray. As obvious, definitely new territory for me and the feedback is very appreciated.

@corsaircorp welcome! @Hairy Stickler, I don't think Mrs. Edmontonian is looking at my browser history, but there was an instance where I had searched something like "juicy jugs latin decals" and the Google images were definitely not of P-47s in the Caribbean... Oops 🤭

My only update... I went ahead and painted red wing tips.

y4mkUITzBOJya0c3HTZG_uIN8mn1dkD7lBwUdgkQ

I checked photos of Texas ANG P-51s and found photos where the wing tips were red, so I assumed they were on the Costa Ricans ponies too. Plus, I like the look! 

y4mGo-bD2AesZ35iTMv5J5WNLQDvhS_8iQtlFpNF

However, this is the only colour photo I can find, and clearly the wing tips are not red at this point for black 1!

y4mMlss7I7xSY6BB9xvu9yN6n1x9BDn5wzH1b1As

I think they are still red on black 2 in the main photo I'm working off of; but when I went back to if of course I realize that it's really more than just the wing tips that are red, so I'll need to mask further into the wing and try again. D'oh! 🤪

y4mAOzQNR1Zl2yG4EjsocgR1M6_TmEVuf9BlYC5V

Also, I had been thinking the anti-glare panel was olive drab, but now I'm moving towards thinking it's black instead. I haven't been able to open my little jar of Testors OD so black may work out for me better anyway. I'll need to decide soon--any intel out there to inform this decision?

• Like 7

Recently,  I was drawn to set of aftermarket decals entitled "Sexy Spitfires".  All Spitfires are sexy but I wanted to know what made these stand out. The set contained decals (including some gloriously non-PC fuselage artwork) for a RCAF Spitfire Vb based at RAF Staplehurst in 1944.  I lived in Staplehurst (an unremarkable village in Kent) for 20 years and had no idea that Canadian Spitfires and American P51s had taken off just a mile up the road.  Guess what my next build is?!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Mrs. Edmontonian is looking at my browser history, but there was an instance where I had searched something like "juicy jugs latin decals" and the Google images were definitely not of P-47s in the Caribbean

Yep and if you try and explain it to the better half, they just never seem to understand that either. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Also, I had been thinking the anti-glare panel was olive drab, but now I'm moving towards thinking it's black instead. I haven't been able to open my little jar of Testors OD so black may work out for me better anyway. I'll need to decide soon--any intel out there to inform this decision?

Definitely looks black to me and my old Mk.I’s. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:P-51_WV_ANG.jpeg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F-51D_Minnesota_ANG_in_early_1950s.jpg

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/107941/Crash-Site-P-51D-Mustang-44-14768.htm

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hello ME,

And, I don't want to throw some gasoline on the firecamp....

But when refurbished in the '50s, the interior were painted in black too...

Black anti glare is almost sure for me... And red wing tip ... As far as I see !!

On my Korean war pony, both the cockpit and anti glare are black...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4

First coat of black anti-glare as affirmed by @Corsairfoxfouruncle @corsaircorp @Hairy Stickler

y4mk-ObwBo_ynHUB8k52THMfUfbKlEB3i3e3a3gE

Also, more work on the pile of props--I need to buy more yellow paint for tips, but went ahead and applied decals.

y4mKokm0WY3rw0ivPibdZtImW1Kw1c8if2LcO2oN

Now trying to figure out canopies, which one are the Costa Rican ponies wearing? I can barely tell a difference between the two in my Airfix kits!

• Like 7

For the canpies, it's not easy...

One as a bit of bulge behind the pilot seat...

I'm sure that a Pony boffin here on BM will surely help you more than my poor try...

Very fine job on the props !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Little-by-little... anti-glare complete and the additional red getting painted on... I've applied a few stencil decals too, tucked away in a corner or two. The rudder is close to done as well, now, just have to pull off the masks and see what the white looks like underneath... I'm nervous!

y4mMEqjLJQzyzO_7UHoitq8QaUlMkTIfHPN_uxeX

Thanks to @corsaircorp I managed to figure out which canopy to used... already forgot what the name of the canopy is, but it is the one with the "bump."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Masks off the rudder, and my nerves were justified :(

y4mGPf_cPbJGCK-w6LmwqMvrGYMDNyXyn6M47n3B

Decided to put off the wing tip reveal, and applied some decals instead.

y4mmj1TjOCpdGBAgnVjYFcTn9zREe5kSRgs9pOa_

The Blue Rider decals are thirty years old, or something, but slide on nicely. The 2s are great, but the stripes quite thick and a little "plastic-y" so aren't conforming perfectly; but nothing I'll stress over. I also think they are incorrectly sized when compared to photos, but, again, nothing I'll stress over.

Alright, tape off on the wings... this one looks ok:

y4mN88LcOzDG5j6VFdjr0mGaGpWQR1Qc8aeXq1oi

.... but, ugh:

y4mYzHry-NHcDgb7Y0U_F2DOdhY85sSxfVmku900

Started the clean up, but it will need a bit more work.

y4mpXdk_iI0ypSWc2qvEDaGRvVE-6USG7cO-2WuA

Also, these underside photos show an ugly seam in that "channel" (not sure what exactly that is, radiator outflow?). It's tough to get in there with sand paper, and I'm not going to try fixing it on Costa Rica, but hopefully can do something to ensure Guatemala and Haiti avoid this. Just not sure what exactly that will involve yet!

Most of the decals now on, with a few stencils remaining. I added a decal of writing below the cockpit--doesn't match up perfectly with the reference photo, but it was the best I had. I also installed the exhaust stacks. All has not gone as smoothly as I would have liked, but overall happy with how she's coming together.

y4m8Z-LApG2aaG0GZnhnJBUf0nMnku-CDRzwP4D8

Here's the reference:

y4mAOzQNR1Zl2yG4EjsocgR1M6_TmEVuf9BlYC5V

Meanwhile, got my new yellow paint and continued on with the prop work for the ponies and jugs.

y4mIaX-Z31otXMDFFOLZRWSlLRnOCnsF0YwTIx6w

More work to do on the tips and decaling on the P-47 props, but temporarily they became a pile of propellers and I enjoyed the look:

y4m3__C7COkvQ7IUXlsZFP9r_CZCrpklF0wJsbeM 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Also, these underside photos show an ugly seam in that "channel" (not sure what exactly that is, radiator outflow?). It's tough to get in there with sand paper, and I'm not going to try fixing it on Costa Rica, but hopefully can do something to ensure Guatemala and Haiti avoid this. Just not sure what exactly that will involve yet!

I think its oil cooler outflow the Radiator is the bigger one. They can be a pain to deal with, first use tape to edge it. And fill with putty of your choice. Remove tape and sand with higher grit so as not to scar the plastic( why make more scratches). I then use PVA (elmers) or Testor’s clear canopy glue along the seam if it still needs to be filled.  Then when dried I cover that all with fine surfacer and should be ok if a bit shallower. . 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Black, mate :)

• Like 1

Thanks, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, like I said, I'll see what I can do on the other three ponies, and your advice is appreciated! I don't have any plastic sheet, but perhaps need to explore acquiring some...

@RidgeRunner, black it is 😎

As to Costa Rica, final decals were applied, touch-ups on the rudder and elsewhere completed, and this pony has legs, drop tanks, and a propeller! The Airfix antenna is famously garbage, so I cut a sewing needle for that instead (which is an advanced modelling technique by my standards, and one I'm pretty happy with 😋).

y4mew7c-C4Eq8HPwQ_4y7qqqVna-ELAWo3SDBjpP

y4mXmqCy1kp-bc5wwZdMe7vCOwrCPSkCCUqYp7Rm

Then she went outside for a satin clear coat.

y4mqP5cf0jzvgrLNOSVXdKV4VMRcReDF4-cy9LX2

Once dry, I added wing tip navigation lights, some pledge over top of the underwing lights, and installed the canopy. As usual, there's room for improvement, but I think I've succeeded here in doing what I set out for--modelling an interesting pony on her "last legs" in a Caribbean nation! RFI will follow at some point...

y4mM3OBsqrKdyz_lsZcJzWlMV0P3fulp1FVVaEyG

Interestingly enough, my phone reminded me this morning that seven years ago today I was in San Jose, Costa Rica, my only time in that country.

y4mGlluYNlIoQ7WzaMLTiuP1457HjmtEEF8qQugu

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I don't have any plastic sheet, but perhaps need to explore acquiring some...

Evergreen I find is the best, plastruct will work also. Evergreen sells a multi-pack with multiple sheets of varying thickness, I need to get a new one but my last one was bought about 5 yrs. ago. 

• Like 1

That looks terrific and I'm glad you could sort out the wing tip red.  That's a great subject.  I like the more obscure air forces' markings.  

One option with putty is to use levelling thinner on it.  The "Mr. Thinner" stuff, or whatever its called.  I've found it to be fairly gentle with plastic, but will remove paint.  I've used it to smooth out putty on my Bearcats and the latest spitfire builds.  Just put some on a q-tip or folded up paper towel and scrub away.  It's nice because you don't have to fix the plastic.  Test it first.

• Like 3