Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

i like the radio box -- nice idea.  This is coming together nicely.

Thanks!

I found a great deal on a Tamiya P-51D, so it looks like my Dominican P-51 is a step closer to reality. 

I'll look forward to the DR P-51 WIP! The Tamiya is a nice kit, although really only marginally better than Airfix, and it doesn't give you the flaps down option Airfix does. Still, if you got a great deal it's the way to go.

I thought seriously about using the upcoming Arma, 

Curious to see how the Arma will compare, because really both Tamiya and Airfix did a good job. Somehow I imagine Arma will beat them, though, albeit probably will make you pay for it.

...and maybe a Hurricane....

only one Hurricane? or did you mean one Mk. I, one Mk IIb, one Mk IIc, etc.? 😉

• Like 1

The P-38 and P-39 are more or less both on hold awaiting a package in the mail with extra parts I need, so I brought out the remaining ponies, Haiti (top) and Guatemala (bottom), both of these are Airfix. Neither have been seen in quite awhile--all four P-51s in this project were built together up until paint/primer was sprayed, and since then they've only been moving along one-by-one, first Costa Rice and more recently Dominican Republic.

y4m3fibaqg4hF1ITlQkUavcYwbusd3fSXIS_6k5D

Haiti is actually waiting for that parcel too, because I ordered the T-6 kit that has the ADF antenna she carries--thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle for pointing that out. I have a plan to build the T-6 down the road so it should all work out well. So Haiti went back into the box after a little seam work, and Guatemala stayed out to get a couple of coats of underside camo (Tamiya XF-19). Underneath Guatemala is getting the same colour as Dominican Republic, but she has a three colour upper camo scheme.

y4mKt8LPjtKAG8jdcqMr8cUeswtkQlkoxWTmnEmJ

• Like 5

I really do admire your stick-to-it-ness on this project.  I did a USN air group project once which was only four models, and each different and it took some focus for me to complete.  This project of yours is several orders of magnitude greater.  What’s also notable is the consistent quality.  Good stuff.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mark.au said:

I really do admire your stick-to-it-ness on this project.  I did a USN air group project once which was only four models, and each different and it took some focus for me to complete.  This project of yours is several orders of magnitude greater.  What’s also notable is the consistent quality.  Good stuff.

Thanks, @mark.au! That's very kind. I mean, I do have two other projects on the go (Hawker Hurricanes around the World and Minor Gustavs), so it's not like I'm completely and solely focused on this one!

All done with Guatemala's underside, and I pulled out the blue tac from the wheel wells. I also put a layer of Pledge on it all.

y4m072IMH92KDN8rbbQ4ckAa4S_ZOWNydcTM6gDu

Then started with the light tan on top.

y4mEFZr-5gttix_T9Rjfs9xPA0EPp51LCNYBUBP0

Here is the plane I'm modeling, by the way. I'm not so sure this tan is matching up with what's in the photo, but I'll keep going trusting Aztec's call out. This tan is supposed to be FS33446 per Aztec, and I'm using Mission Models Paint 38.

y4mt29LtY8pFf6wnib3KPoWFRo9dAZVDJPINEXrw

• Like 9

I've been away most of this week, so small update here. I weathered Guatemala's UC doors.

y4mhshYUafTS50V1cSxZI3-x7-qLp2ujo1lb14pa

And did some gap filling on the P-39, such as around the air intake. Still waiting for the brass fuselage MGs in the mail to move the P-39 much further along.

y4myAgURXVP9MW339nXvvbXqyKV2m-hZ1st00Vjt

• Like 4

On 10/2/2022 at 9:27 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Here is the plane I'm modeling, by the way. I'm not so sure this tan is matching up with what's in the photo, but I'll keep going trusting Aztec's call out. This tan is supposed to be FS33446 per Aztec, and I'm using Mission Models Paint 38.

Those machines were extremely weathered by the sun. The original colours were the standard US SEA but, as you can see, they went off quickly! This is my interpretation of it, right or wrong 

• Like 1

I was at the hobby store the other day and grabbed the paint for Haiti. Aztec says it's FS36628, so I picked up Vallejo 70.993 "white grey." I had to test it out, so Haiti came back out. After a first coat I feel it is maybe more "white" than "grey," but it is probably a good match per the photo and will definitely offer something different!

y4mGDwz21JA8tWmMn8I9UpnfdYnl7Y9wIc33eEBg

• Like 6

On 9/30/2022 at 9:14 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

only one Hurricane? or did you mean one Mk. I, one Mk IIb, one Mk IIc, etc.? 😉

Back!  Back! Vile Tempter!  🤣  Seriously, though, after looking at your Portugal build I am again tempted by the Arma Hurricane.

Somehow I missed your replies to me until just now.  DR has been on my mind a lot lately -- it might get moved up in the queue, but I've got an Su-22 that I am really excited to get started on.  That, and my Dad has been putting a ton of pressure on me to build my F-89 in my stash... which, you know, wouldn't be terrible... ;)  So maybe DR will happen after that?

See what you started? :P

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been every now and again picking up Haiti or Guatemala to do a little more painting, etc. Managed to lose one of Haiti's UC legs (no carpet monster here, just hardwood, but still can't find it!), so figured she can be legs up on a stand... went to fit the doors to see what they'd look like closed and realized I had painted two starboard doors for Guatemala and two port doors for Haiti! Oh well, good time to catch it. Also, look how dark Tamiya XF-19 looks compared to Haiti's "white grey"!

y4mwtd8OOCtQYc-jTtzY-e8MuF-S-vcLcdRSy9mA

By the way, Haiti's artic grey is all done . . .

y4mMuCWaCB6PozmR3ZZ6hdMuQ3DAnCZrsGyFaBH9

. . . so getting ready move on to the anti-glare black, the aluminum around the exhausts, and the red highlights on the wings, tail, and stabilizers.

y4maaGButi40IE8LCMyy1HGUlkSp7gOmONczFs2Y

But I'm still waiting for my T-6 kit to come in the mail so I can steal the ADF antenna from it, and I assume installing that will disrupt some of my paintwork.

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 10:31 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

But I'm still waiting for my T-6 kit to come in the mail so I can steal the ADF antenna from it, and I assume installing that will disrupt some of my paintwork.

My T-6 is finally here!

y4mT1YegVQ2W79-QvnaudxaYJYstezorlia4D0iz

I've cut out the ADF antenna piece for the Haitian P-51D, but it has yet to be installed, as all my focus right now is on the Nicaragua P-38 over in the STGB, which I am hoping to finish by Dec 11!

• Like 3

I went ahead and put a little map together for this project. I have coloured in all the countries which are being represented with a "last legs pony"--a World War II-era American fighter ending its life in the Caribbean. 

y4mJYhlpdt2n8jeH-fC8OnzG-UDU6Tz0qqg1qtGl

As originally introduced, the following countries are being represented by the true "ponies," the P-51 Mustangs:

1. Costa Rica (completed)

2. Dominican Republic (completed)

3. Haiti

4. Guatemala

These countries are being represented with P-47s:

5. Venezuela

6. Colombia

7. Mexico

8. Cuba

I had added Brazil to this list with a P-47 too, but I'm going to drop Brazil from this project (it will show up elsewhere, don't worry 😉).

The remaining four countries are being represented with unique types:

9. Nicaragua: P-38 Lightning (WIP as part of the STGB)

10. USA: P-39 Airacobra (it's a USAAF a/c, but was based in Curaçao)

11. Honduras: P-63 Kingcobra (was going to be a P-38, but I'm excited to build my first P-63)

12. El Salvador: FG-1D Corsair (this is a new addition--El Salvador does not border the Caribbean Sea, but close enough, right?)

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Nice graphic.  That's going to be quite a few when you're done!

Also, it looks like the DR P-51D is next on deck for me.  I've been itching to work on it and finally bumped it to the top of the queue.  If I can ever get my glacially paced Su-22 Fitter done.... 😕

• Like 2

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Nice graphic. 

Thanks!

That's going to be quite a few when you're done!

Still less than half of the Hawker Hurricanes project... but, yes, my model building plans are more ambitious than my model building pace would say is reasonable...

Also, it looks like the DR P-51D is next on deck for me.  I've been itching to work on it and finally bumped it to the top of the queue.

Save me a front row seat, I'll be excited to watch this one!

• Like 2

Nicaragua's P-38 is all done over in the STGB.

I may do an RFI later, but for now there are photos in WIP above, the STGB gallery (along with a whole bunch of great looking P-38s!). . .

. . . and below!

y4m-pviAoGJAbsA-3Wl3NtmS4hFhAS3Qlog1Sk-I

y4mIUevogOfbbW-C9-TRbNBXnh2MqYqWOHzErRrz

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making some progress on Haiti (Airfix P-51D). The UC doors are now fitted.

y4m30jIMWvsNo8CM_JBec7p__k9Cq-6TQSytaY7b

I have put a layer of Pledge on the arctic grey camo to protect it all, and also decided to take a bit of a different approach with the lower canopy piece and I've gone ahead and attached it. Then I masked off the narrow anti-glare panel and painted some black there. That went badly, as my masking often does, so I will need to remask and try again. Despite the Pledge, the tape seems to be peeling the paint, so I decided to try to freehand the red highlights and metal panels around exhausts. So, that work has begun. All looking sloppy at the moment, but we'll see if we can get this cleaned up in the next bit. 

y4mI8Ri9HoQgnTmHf79ElDZoiLqCq1pG3y0VHWu3

I intend to mount Haiti on a stand with magnets, which I've never done before and I'm still shopping for magnets to make this work.

• Like 5

I threw in the towel when it comes to painting the anti-glare on Haiti (Airfix P-51) and I used some leftover D-day stripe decal instead. I think it worked out nicely.

y4mhSWO6IMCOZgOn15JjtwOHWjQCVwJgvuNKdSO6

Almost there with the exhaust stack panels, and the red highlights are getting close too.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, opus999 said:

I'm curious to see how you mount this with magnets.

Well, here is what I came up with... a small piece of this magnetic tape went into the air intake...

y4mIJkHG5nQJs-34NIKgiX4a44-u8xoCB1o4ZcyU

And one of these magnets was glued to a stand Tamiya included.

y4mCbkuLBVByiHiqq7AH_X4O98JA0rqZ-gDfJA_E

y4m9BYNgkCNQ-dXZSEMw9NLfPdbQBTvkfEDMic05

Here is the result:

y4mehfzuzaQeDRIC_El1WX1oBLtTBv8XOxh1isq1

y4mUF9S1tYAFg-0hApXRtdJY0MHqtXnYsT7F6pr3

I'm happy with it! I think next time I might stick the magnetic tape inside the wheel well before closing it up, but this worked out just fine.

• Like 9