Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

Oh, I also took the opportunity to buy Mr Hobby Aqueous paints, which I don't believe are available in the shops in Edmonton. Curious to see how these compare to Tamiya, etc.

y4mTGW6G-ETGZH0nKA5_CNSiS-Iiga3CruA47Zzj

And I found this photo which I believe is the P-39 I intend to model. I think it was stationed in Curaçao in 1942.

y4mlYXh8HndJgcFC3Bo-l_a8802frfGALy8JqLPY

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Funny thing is I just bought the same kit, either a Makin Island snake or Russian as I have a P-63 coming soon. 

Oh great, look forward to seeing the build! Seems like an OK kit, especially for the price. Sounds like it's prop is too small and getting enough weight in the nose is apparently challenging, but could always model it on a stand and mitigate that issue 🤔

24 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh great, look forward to seeing the build! Seems like an OK kit, especially for the price. Sounds like it's prop is too small and getting enough weight in the nose is apparently challenging, but could always model it on a stand and mitigate that issue 🤔

I have built one of these exact kits a few years ago for the Cobra group build, I built an RAF Cobra from it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Here are the P-39 sprue shots... they really are taking care of the lower fuselage/wings! I need to fill those holes in the wings where the gun pods for the Q version mount. 

y4mYYAumngWohJmtN7hhx28d6Zla27vrIfF0MKlV

And here is all the styrene after a hotel bathroom sink bath:

y4mGP0qXwlRZGO8gt5RtRTmvgdIdPo3553I9FzYry4mgrnxlP_nvHiIStyXsBRVH5-xf9oUfc0gr-W1Y

No instruction sheet in this boxing, just the back of the box:

y4mzDM7BMhgQwlF6OE9NpZgw_cG5T0hkUq0SfHYk

• Like 7

On 8/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Did anyone pick up that this comment might foreshadow an additional build? I am in Calgary for work this week, and I brought Dominican Republic along and a couple of paints and brushes so that I could still enjoy some evening modeling. Well, my time here got extended unexpectedly, and moreover I expect to be down here several more times over the next months, so I moseyed on over to the local model store. I was quite impressed and, of course, you can't just look, can you? I left with this:

y4mfESaKxCpEDNppKl8_hQGgshr4EQHSpGbpFEHe

And then ordered this decal set...

y4mPJifB_7GtiQozZhdyuqBGN8lRe6pLT6UsHzvm

...to allow me to model a Caribbean last legs... cobra? I realize 1942 is a bit out of the time period I was expecting to model, and US markings aren't exactly what I was going for, but the geography's right and no one can argue that the P-39 wasn't on its last legs even in 1942! Should be a fun build to start while in Calgary and we'll see how far it gets...

This is a sheet I truly need to get my hands on at some point. The Colombian 52s are of interest, much less the O-47 and Mexican Kingfisher... Someday!

• Like 1

The P-39 will be interesting!  I bought this kit more than a couple years ago.  Every time I think about building it, I remember all the reviews I read about how hard it was to keep it from tail sitting, and I put it back.  I'm a bit intimidated by trying to cram all the weight in.

The Dominican Republic camo is fascinating.  Can't wait to see that wrap up!

• Like 1

A few days ago I started painting the P-39's cockpit and forward landing gear with some dark green ("Bell green"?).

y4mMFKyGs6u2k-Pacj04ubIzX67U3ZRtm0_1yi4h

But, this wasn't holding well on the styrene, so I bought a rattle can black--it should let me paint black and serve as a bit of a primer to brush over. I had a nice hot day to spray the wheels, cockpit/forward landing gear, and prop. 

y4mDQ6pTEndF7ZMly3CedRgl9D2z-G8mmHQs2VFp

I bought some weights, too, but these are too big for this kit, so they'll go into storage back in Edmonton to see what use I can make of them in the future (maybe in a P-38?).

y4myqvlvUulcpyj-kt5d2Q3Jo6dsLZjlpGGf8tK0

By the way, here's my hotel desk-cum-modelling centre.

y4mz8a3pme06dh2Y-RbjGH4VHH60Lt0ZfkJAsTxo

That's the Dominican Republic P-51 on the desk, of course, and here she is with her camo mostly outlined, just have to apply a few more light coats to complete the Dark Green.

y4mC8WQjH110Fgw-6ZK8tiD59blkqpDDAO2NbfFe

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 8

On 8/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, opus999 said:

Every time I think about building it, I remember all the reviews I read about how hard it was to keep it from tail sitting, and I put it back.  I'm a bit intimidated by trying to cram all the weight in.

Yes, I'll see how it goes. I bought a product called Liquid Gravity which I'm interested to try. But I'm also okay if she ends up a stand with UC down... "coming into land" or something...

On 8/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, opus999 said:

Dominican Republic camo is fascinating

Yes, and more challenging to paint than I expected... I'm struggling to replicate the curves.. at the moment some are too sharp. I'll use a smaller brush and see if I can round them off some.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:01 PM, Tweener said:

This is a sheet I truly need to get my hands on at some point. The Colombian 52s are of interest, much less the O-47 and Mexican Kingfisher... Someday!

I'm excited to have it in my hands and get a closer look! I wasn't even familiar with the O-47 until you pointed it out!

• Like 1

Liquid Gravity... I've heard of it.  I should look into that.  It seems an easier solution than cutting weights into small pieces and then drowning them in epoxy.

I've had a couple models in my life where I had just a hair too little nose weight.  I found if I sanded the main wheels a little flat on the bottom, that would keep it on its nose.  So that's an option if  need be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, opus999 said:

Liquid Gravity... I've heard of it.  I should look into that.  It seems an easier solution than cutting weights into small pieces and then drowning them in epoxy.

@PeterB pointed me to it... not cheap, but I picked it up the other day and I'm eager to try it.

y4mPt5JVptv4qhbgOfxEvySzfc-arMetv2ABs6eY

15 hours ago, opus999 said:

I found if I sanded the main wheels a little flat on the bottom, that would keep it on its nose. 

Thanks for this tip. I don't mind a bit of flattening on tires, especially where they meet the sprue, so I may do this regardless.

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I read bicycle ball bearings can work too... lots of options! I will have a few opportunities to try different things with this P-39, a P-38, and I think I'm going to do a P-63 too. Tail sitting hasn't been a concern of mine until now--not an issue on all my Hawker Hurricanes!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 1:12 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Which model kit the Dora or MPM ? Ive got an MPM on the way as Ive only done one other Kingcobra. If I can find the correct version of the Dora kit locally I will buy one of them. 

Dora, it has the Honduras markings.

Well geez, look who just made the Hobby Boss P-39 kit seem like a loser 😪 Arma even claims they have included the weight to prevent tail sitting!

https://www.armahobby.com/70055-p-39q-airacobra.html

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Well geez, look who just made the Hobby Boss P-39 kit seem like a loser 😪 Arma even claims they have included the weight to prevent tail sitting!

I just read that yesterday!  I was totally excited, and also very glad I haven't built the HobbyBoss yet.  Thinking about it today at lunch, I think the HB can still be built and added to my "ceiling air force" where it's much harder to see details....

I wonder when the Arma will be out?  I'm really itching to get my hands on any Arma product, really, and this one would fit the bill since I've never built a P-39.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 8:22 PM, opus999 said:

I wonder when the Arma will be out?

I think middle of this month... I'm excited to see a WIP soon! Still trying to decide if I'm going to continue with my Hobby Boss or not... probably will, but I'm sure I'll be jealous when I start watching others build Arma.

• Like 1

I have finally finished Dominican Republic's rockets (these took much more work than I would have expected, and now realizing they might not even be the right rockets--in photos I've found clearly the Dominican Mustangs have a different armament than these... oh well!). Here they are clean:

y4mdC93N2PHEd5l4zUTygRIZOOmAmYiEyhcHd8HR

And now dirtied up a little:

y4m8089GgbiKFiTzGi5KgieB_i6ZZiDXMvoOLk1B

Meanwhile, a few gloss sprays on the bird herself. The fragility of the Mission Models Paints means Pledge is a no go, and it needs a lot of protection before I'm safe to apply wet decals. Also realizing I have some camo touch ups to do still (of course 🙄).

y4mwOV931hhu2OOiK3AtCP_pPYlLXnowqCnG2fjj

Exhaust stubs attached...

y4mV0VGTMz0BAb9QyEY9tzTUxn3IKBufmD-FRa61

And decals applied underneath (not many on the underside). You can see I dirtied up the wheel well, too. You can also see here that I screwed up assembling the underside of the cockpit/rear fuselage (mostly you can tell because of how much shadow there is where it should be flush. The Airfix kits assemble differently there than Tamiya--the Tamiya design is probably superior, but I managed to screw it up!).

y4muIsLBSQhGwgfft-oedJ4wLr1dH66Yk2BMgySn

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 9

On 9/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, opus999 said:

I love that DR camo.   Its making me think I should work on mine.  I've got the decals, just need to decide on a kit to use and get it!

Look forward to the WIP 😉 I assume you're aware Arma has a P-51D on the way? I think Bolivia may well get built using that kit one day, since I already have the decals, plus she has a shark mouth and who can resist that 😎

Dominican Republic (Tamiya) has her upper decals. I skipped some of the stencils.

y4m7njS-6ADkLN9Csp_d7FCJmwqPliYqowMqjH0Z

I also popped the rear wheel on (yes, that's literally the verb to use in this case, that's how perfect Tamiya designed the kit), but you can't see that in this photo. I'll install the rockets, but first I need to get another clear coat on to protect these decals. 

• Like 5

By the way, although I have three Mustangs, five Thunderbolts, and an Airacobra waiting, I'm starting to think about Nicaragua, because the P-38 group build is coming soon and I want to join... I was originally going to build both Honduras and Nicaragua as P-38s, but I bought the Dora P-63 kit so I can model Honduras with it. So Nicaragua will be the only P-38 of the collection. The Nicaragua P-38s (I believe there were two of them) are not well documented, but I gather they were P-38Ls, albeit perhaps converted to Ls having been built as Ms (I gather this was in fact a thing...).

Here is what Aztec has to say:

y4mJGNWPfP0monEtlGBRbBU_52076pU-n5ESpeun

I found this photo:

y4mhdUpuqXB4fGsc53tgmVqEMEwm1ir-RtSGxLRt

I also found that Nicaragua issued a postage stamp with the P-38 on it (possibly based on the above photo), but for some reason I cannot get that photo to embed... I'll try again later.

Anyway, that photo seems to show the nose with a boxout of some sort? I assume a P-38 expert could guess what's going on there? At first I thought it was the M's radar pod, but that seems to have been rounded, not squared.

I bought the Hobby Boss kit, which I understand has a few flaws, but is mostly not too bad. 

y4mYYGItKlmeRd81pDM-tV94XTsutRTqI_Sl_Aqh

The biggest issue it seems to me is that the kit excludes the air intakes which were on the outer booms--not sure if anyone has a suggestion of where those might be easily and inexpensively obtained?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

By the way, although I have three Mustangs, five Thunderbolts, and an Airacobra waiting, I'm starting to think about Nicaragua, because the P-38 group build is coming soon and I want to join... I was originally going to build both Honduras and Nicaragua as P-38s, but I bought the Dora P-63 kit so I can model Honduras with it. So Nicaragua will be the only P-38 of the collection. The Nicaragua P-38s (I believe there were two of them) are not well documented, but I gather they were P-38Ls, albeit perhaps converted to Ls having been built as Ms (I gather this was in fact a thing...).

I found this photo:

I also found that Nicaragua issued a postage stamp with the P-38 on it (possibly based on the above photo), but for some reason I cannot get that photo to embed... I'll try again later.

Anyway, that photo seems to show the nose with a boxout of some sort? I assume a P-38 expert could guess what's going on there? At first I thought it was the M's radar pod, but that seems to have been rounded, not squared.

I bought the Hobby Boss kit, which I understand has a few flaws, but is mostly not too bad. 

The biggest issue it seems to me is that the kit excludes the air intakes which were on the outer booms--not sure if anyone has a suggestion of where those might be easily and inexpensively obtained?

You can try Eduard and a couple of other companies. They make them in 1/48 so possible they do them in 1/72. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:51 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I assume you're aware Arma has a P-51D on the way?

Yeah... I knew it was on its way, but I haven't looked into release dates for it yet.  I've really wanted to do an Arma kit and that would be a good one to do!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:04 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I found this photo:

That is the biggest issue I found, and the simplified interior.  I stole the intakes from an RS Models kit which comes with 2 sets.  I have several more of the HB kits in the stash as I love the Lighting.

If you can't find another kit to rob look for missiles or small bombs, cut off the noses and drill them out and you can get close.

Here is mine in Honduran markings.

spacer.png

As to the bit under the nose, one of the 2 Lightnings that Nicaragua acquired was an M but converted to L standard, the other was an L.  It is possible the M still had the pylon that holds the nose radar on the nightfighter version but looking at the photo it is also possible that it is just showing the portside wing based on the angle.

• Like 4