1/72 - SMER - Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vc - USAAF VF - D

So a little boredom as set in and Ive decided to start another kit. Again, only a small one as I still have a fair few to work through. This time Ive decided to have a go at one of my Spitfires. This one came to me minus, guess what, yes the canopy. Still I got it for a couple of quid and thought even if I cant source a canopy for it, at least it would be good practice for assembly and painting. Revells canopy is the closest up to now. However, it means me taking it out of that kit; and that seems pointless.  Plenty of time to source one; so you never know. Anyway here we go. Decided to build this a different way to my usual build method and assembly the aircraft a little first. Normally Ive black prime the parts and start to airbrush them before assembly. this time Ive primed, painted the cockpit, assembled the aircraft and Iam going to start with the colour, then seal it and so on. 

Only trouble Ive had up to now is the wings. On the last build I did, of a Spitfire, the wings had massive gaps between them and the fuselage. This time I fixed the problem by putting small pieces of cocktail stick in the wing, which pushed the top part of the wing up. I have held them in place with glue and assembled the wings to the fuselage and it does seemed to have worked.  I still think a little filler is required. However, not half as much as would have been required on the Encore Spitfire; that I built.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 2

Seeing as the SMER kit is offering me two colour schemes and decals, I thought I would opt to do the American tropical version.

The plans are in black and white so the closet thing I can get at the moment is this image; which seems to serve up the colour scheme Iam after. 

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 2

So here are the three versions on offer with this kit.

spacer.png

As I said I think we will opt for the tropical desert version. Not done one in the sand colours before. Going to see if we can thin the paints from another started kit  and see how far we get with the paint.

spacer.png

Got the wings glued together. No problems with line up or fitting.

spacer.png

Had no problems fitting the wing attachments, even though there was no place to clip them or fit them into, just glue one piece to the other. All seems to be good.

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge

If it is any help: the moulds are Heller's Mk.V spit, and the clear parts were.... let's keep it at bank vault level thickness.

So maybe it's not all that bad... Squadron and Pavla both have spit canopies for Mk.V that would be a lot more palatable at a few quid.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

If it is any help: the moulds are Heller's Mk.V

Thats very useful, I shall bear this in mind. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Squadron and Pavla

Ive had a look at these companies, along with the Rob Taurus ones at Hannants. Ill see how things spin out and see how the kit turns out before I commit. Saw the complete kit for sale; for a fiver the other day. Snag is, I buy that one and use the canopy, and Iam back to square one. Some things in life are just not fair. :sad:

Shame there is not a manufacturer that does alternative open and closed canopies, like the Airfix 1/72 Hurricane. could use the spare out of that. 

Dont seem to wander to far from this site and guaranteed some one as always done something similar; to what you want to do. Only bigger. :like:. Eeeeeekkkk, :frantic:1/24 scale, Will have to admit this looks fantastic.

OK Ill have to compose myself a little and bring my head right back down to earth and 1/72 scale. :phew:. OK, feet firmly on the ground. It looks like Iam going to have to pull a few stops out here to see if I can get anywhere close to this. I hope this gentleman doesn't mind me using his build as a reference as it would be a great to use it to produce my 1/72 version.

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - SMER - Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vc - USAAF VF - D

Gosh, the sight of those parts takes me back.  If it's not too late the ailerons could stand a session of file and filler to remove the ribs.  No fabric-covered ailerons beyond the very early Mk V.

The late Mac Kennaugh wrote that he flew clipped Spitfires at OTU, some of which still had fabric ailerons that did nasty things if you weren't careful.  I think he said they "snatched and froze".

• Thanks 1

Not only that but the dihedral on these Heller/Smer Mk.V's tends to be minimal at best. 
Great for nostalgic modelling though, make everything fit nicely and don't bother too much about correcting issues would be my advice. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RJP said:

If it's not too late the ailerons could stand a session of file and filler

So what you are saying is file the ridges on the aileron flat and smooth

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

dihedral

Iam gathering by this you mean the angle of the wings. Ive just looked at the kit and its as flat as a pancake; no angle what so ever. OK this could be throwing caution to the wind but ill see if I can do something about that. Still waiting for some AK putty that I sent away for on the 7th Jan. Cant believe how long thats taking as I only live 34 miles away from the place. 

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Falcon sets are very nice indeed. But they are 14-16 quid ex postage

The kit only cost me a couple of quid so thats defo out. Like I say might get luck and find one cheap somewhere. However, I could butcher one out of the Revell kit, which seems to be the closet fit, and get a more expensive one for a better build later.

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, but who ever makes only one Spitfire?

This is true. I think I have done an Encore, Iam building a SMER, I have a Airfix, Revell and AZ to do later. 

Edited by Valleyforge

OK the fuselage is connected to the wings and masking tape was placed on the fuselage so as to commence the airbrushing of underneath of the aircraft. 

spacer.png

Had a little trouble lining up the Vokes filter but did eventually get it into place. However, there is a small gap which will need a little putty.

spacer.png

Seems a little over kill but the clip was just holding the kit without any heavy contact to the model. i used the clip to center the Vokes up and the kit just rested on the clip until the glue set. Again the filter came in two parts and there was no line up pins when joining this together so i thought this set up was a good idea at the time. 

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge

Re:  the ailerons.

The original aileron design was fabric over a metal frame.  They worked fine but banking at high speed called for heavy stick forces.  After much experimentation in looking for a cure, the solution was found - simply a metal-framed and metal-skinned aileron did the trick.  The mod. was introduced onto production Mk V about mid-1941.  Earlier machines were often, though not always, retrofitted.

Manufacturers often fall into the trap of thinking that fabric covering means prominent ribs and sackcloth texture, neither of which is anywhere close.  Even if one is doing an early example, say, Battle of Britain vintage, you wouldn't be looking at prominent ribs.  I think it makes this elegant machine look like an ill-nourished horse. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, but who ever makes only one Spitfire?

I'm working on my third Spitfire since returning to aeromodelling six years ago, and my focus is strictly "Aircraft in US Service."  😄

8 hours ago, Valleyforge said:

I think I have done an Encore, Iam building a SMER, I have a Airfix, Revell and AZ to do later. 

I've been enjoying your builds, Valleyforge.  Sounds like a good selection upon which to practise modelling skills and develop opinion as to what you like and do not like in a Spitfire kit. 

Then you should try an Eduard Spit.  It will blow your mind, so vast is its superiority.  Absolutely excellent detail and fit.

• Thanks 1

I’ve decided to use the paint that I got in the gift set; to see if it’s any use. I have done this before and it’s turned out pretty well. The instructions say that the paints are acrylic, so I would assume that they would be OK to be thinned with water. However, I generally thin with "airbrush cleaner" and a drop of "airbrush flow improver", which seems to work. As anyone else done anything like this before. I first read about it in a magazine.

Airbrushing Humbrol Acrylic 29 Matt Brown

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Valleyforge said:

Is this the Eduard 1/72nd scale Weekend Edition that you are talking about

Spitfire Mk.IXc Late Version

Eduard offer many versions, including the late IXc.  The moulds were designed so many marks could be built from the same trees; the different boxings include decals and instructions for whichever mark is depicted on the boxtop.  The plastic is the same in all of them.

Your build is coming along nicely, can't wait to see her all done.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:15 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Eduard offer many versions, including the late IXc.

I see a few companies seem to do that. AZ is another company Ive got a couple of P40s from and they come with three different decal versions. Ill obviously have to print off a few American roundels. However, that should not be to hard as I think Ive got the hang of printing them off now. It beats keep repeating the same kits with the same decals. 

This is the Eduard kit that I was looking at.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1