Sanding/buffing/polishing between coats?

BikingLampy

Tips wanted please...!

I can build to "a" standard at the moment, but I'm very aware my paint prep isn't up to scratch, so trying to take that up a notch or two.

I see people talking a lot about buffing paint between coats. How are you going about doing this without just stripping the paint off? I've got a 12000 grit micromesh sheet, but even that will have the paint off a raised area in 1 or 2 strokes, and can only be used on the larger flat areas wrapped around a small foam block (I build 1/72 aircraft), so I'm struggling to tidy up nook and crannies where the paint will be worse anyway.

In a similar vein - how are you cleaning the model up post sanding? Everything I've tried leaves lint behind - paper towel (wet or dry), blue-roll, microfibre towel, a large soft paintbrush just moves it around. I bought some proper tack rags, but those left a sticky residue, and I could hang the whole model from them they were so tacky. Best solution so far is a wrap of masking tape around a finger, but again, that's of limited effect in tight spots or on convoluted surfaces.

All advice gratefully recieved!

Cheers

BL

Preparing the plastic before applying paint is key. Particularly if using metallic paints as they show every little flaw in the plastic. So plenty of sanding/polishing when the build is finished is important. Cleaning the plastic is also key - there's various methods and I use isopropanol alcohol on a cotton bud which will remove almost everything down to the bare plastic. If you've done the sanding/polishing bit first then you'll have a lovely surface ready for priming.

Never done any buffing between coats - not even for metallics - so can't comment on that.

Mark

It is probably quite common to buff between coats, especially when intershading because it entails applying what is effectively several uneven layers of paint. But it needs the best possible quality of sanding material and one which is designed for paint; not a product for just any old sanding job such as bare plastic. Anything which is too stiff or hard edged is completely inappropriate; the quality control and type of the grit is absolutely critical. I prefer Infini sponge sheets and also MicroMesh Ultra Flex, in each case cut into small sections of no more than 1x3cm, sometimes narrower.

It is also imperative to pay attention to airbrushing technique, as has already been mentioned. My preferred paint has a smooth, soft sheen finish when airbrushed properly, so I normally only want to buff it when intershading; but I know that some people struggle to get a good finish with it (for reasons which are unknown to me) so they may benefit from doing some remedial work (or improving their airbrushing, of course).

Edited by Ade H