It's what's inside that counts

Mig Eater

Proproposal for a GB focusing on model kits with interior detail, either hidden away, displayed with open doors/hatches or a cut-away/transparent body etc.

In the last few years there have been lots of armour kits released with full interiors, there are many different aircraft kits with detailed interiors, there are a few ships with internal deck details too & not forgetting automotive kits with engine bays & passenger interiors. So have a dig though your stash & see what you can find or make this an excuse to buy something new :P

Suggestions
Engines, gearboxes & various mechanical parts inside military vehicles or civilian cars etc.
Bomb bays & crew stations within a plane.
Hanger decks on aircraft carriers.
Dioramas featuring buildings with interiors.

r4.jpg

a08019-model9.jpg

U.S+Navy+Aircraft+Carrier+U.S.S.+Enterprise+%2528CV-6%2529+3.JPG

3d94cddc7db7cfd41117489b4238bf0c.jpg

01. @Mig Eater

02. @vppelt68

03. @Toryu

03, @helios16v

04. @Tim R-T-C

05. @Bertie Psmith

06. @CliffB
07. @desert falcon

08. @Jb65rams

09. @Arniec

10. @Marklo

11. @Adam Poultney

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's a novel idea...and something I've been known to foolishly do (scratch built a crude ASW compartment in a 1/72 SH-60B...then closed the doors :rofl2:).  I'm just not really sure what I've got at the moment that would apply.

• Like 1

My current GB entry has some extra interiors I'm adding which won't be visible!

However, most of my 1/144 kits don't have a suitable hidden interior.

8 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Maybe we should just remove the focus on "hidden" parts & have it as a general Interiors GB...?

Perhaps a GB for kits with detailed interior, or added aftermarket interior - I have lots of resin/brass cockpit sets that I need motivation to use.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Maybe we should just remove the focus on "hidden" parts & have it as a general Interiors GB...?

Much more appealing. To me, a hidden interior is a waste of effort but an interior with an interesting way to reveal it is very interesting. There are cutaways, crashed aircraft, knocked out tanks, machines undergoing maintenance, construction or scrapping. There must be more, these are just the ones that I've done.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Much more appealing. To me, a hidden interior is a waste of effort but an interior with an interesting way to reveal it is very interesting. There are cutaways, crashed aircraft, knocked out tanks, machines undergoing maintenance, construction or scrapping. There must be more, these are just the ones that I've done.  

I'd like to see

A B-17 with the top of the fuselage, the bit that sticks up above the 'tube', removable. Or a flip top!

Maybe a tank that's sliced down the middle or corner to corner like it's been cut by a ray gun.

Does anyone remember the 'exploded' diagram Hurricane from years ago?

A superdetailed engine in a rollover stand. Motorised like a rotisserie.

Aircraft in a hangar that you can see through the door or windows.

A diorama of urban warfare done doll's house style with opening house fronts.

A liberty ship breaking in half showing its insides.

That's enough creative thinking from me before breakfast.

y4m9iq67s4I2L8vsxaGAsP2fj21gkb7CUTUepkh3

It appears that you could count me in to a 'Show Us Your Guts' GB. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Yes, I think that could be better.  I've got plenty of car kits with lavish engines and interiors, so count me in too please if you go that way :thumbsup:

Cheers

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Yes, I think that could be better.  I've got plenty of car kits with lavish engines and interiors, so count me in too please if you go that way :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ah yes, I forgot about car kit 😅 Most feature detailed engine bays & cabin interiors so would be perfect for this.

Edited by Mig Eater

I updated the first post to changing the GB into a general "interiors" GB & started a list.

I wonder if the almighty GB overlord @Enzo Matrix would consider a period longer then the usual 3 months as interior kits tend to have a bit more plastic in them usual 😛

39 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I updated the first post to changing the GB into a general "interiors" GB & started a list.

I wonder if the almighty GB overlord @Enzo Matrix would consider a period longer then the usual 3 months as interior kits tend to have a bit more plastic in them usual 😛

The regular GB:s last 4 months anyway, it's the single type group builds that last one less.

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest everyone. If any of you have any specific ideas for kits you could build during the GB feel free to say & I'll add them next to your name in the list. How about the 1/32 Lancaster with full interior!? 😜 

I designed & 3D printed a GT101 engine & rear deck for the German Panther/Tiger II tank last year but ran out of steam for the project once I'd finished making all the parts 😅 I'd probably continue working on that or something similar, there are several more experimental Panzer engines I'd like to make.  

gt101_09.png

gt101_10.png

• Like 2

With the topic expansion, my options have broadened at bit.  I've got a couple other H-60 variants for crew stations (ASW or SAR), several car kits w/ full engines, or I may try to scratch build a garage (that could be kinda fun).

• Like 2

I'd love to do a 1/32 or 1/48 Vulcan cockpit section with a nice interior based on one of the real preserved ones but alas, no such kit exists :(

Maybe in the course of my uni studies my CAD skills will be sufficiently well developed to get around that by the time that this might run to get around that problem. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'd love to do a 1/32 or 1/48 Vulcan cockpit section with a nice interior based on one of the real preserved ones but alas, no such kit exists :(

Maybe in the course of my uni studies my CAD skills will be sufficiently well developed to get around that by the time that this might run to get around that problem. 

Two options I can think of ? The first is 3D printing the bits = expensive but possible. Or and I know its a stretch that would take a long time. However I bet you could do this. You can scratch build the panels and interior using plastic and existing A/M etch modified. The seats could be modified from existing A/M as well if not already in existence. Use one of the 1/72 kits to get dimensions and scale up all the sizes. Then the hardest part, if you think you can you would need to make a wooden buck. You could carve it to get the exterior shape. Once its ready use fiberglass to get the exterior skin and clear acetate or plastic for windscreens. It could be a long term project and would expand your skills to wood and molding. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Two options I can think of ? The first is 3D printing the bits = expensive but possible. Or and I know its a stretch that would take a long time. However I bet you could do this. You can scratch build the panels and interior using plastic and existing A/M etch modified. The seats could be modified from existing A/M as well if not already in existence. Use one of the 1/72 kits to get dimensions and scale up all the sizes. Then the hardest part, if you think you can you would need to make a wooden buck. You could carve it to get the exterior shape. Once its ready use fiberglass to get the exterior skin and clear acetate or plastic for windscreens. It could be a long term project and would expand your skills to wood and molding. 

I'm sure I can sneak this in on the university printers

• Like 2