RAF Hawk T.1, 1/48

A bit more Hawk-shaped now. Surprisingly, the fuselage halves join pretty well and will need little if any filler. The wings, however, after a dry fit, are a different story. Huge gaps at the roots, particularly just behind the intakes.

E66672-FF-085-E-49-A2-8869-E0387-EBD8-B8

• Like 6

Brings back memories of when I built one a few years back. Plenty of filler but it makes a nice model with the effort. Wrong colours on mine though (but not as wrong as black).

Airfix-Hawk-T1.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good to me @Filler! Very nice grey Hawk that, I was tempted to do mine in that scheme. You’re absolutely right, they don’t look right in all over black. Only four schemes suit the Hawk; green/grey wraparound, red & white, all grey or red arrows.

A bit more done on this. I made the little protuberances on the leading edge from plastic card, as they’re not in the kit.

0-BE01-B81-885-D-4-A67-82-E2-8908-CFC7-B

• Like 3

I don't want to drag you into making some changes but I think - I repeat, I think - that those panels in the rear of the fuselage are not correct. Perhaps someone who knows the kit better can confirm/refute my point.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks good to me @Filler! Very nice grey Hawk that, I was tempted to do mine in that scheme. You’re absolutely right, they don’t look right in all over black. Only four schemes suit the Hawk; green/grey wraparound, red & white, all grey or red arrows.

To paraphrase the late great Meatloaf 2 out of 4 ain’t bad.  I do fancy a grey with black tail like @Filler’s though

RMhAjFo.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments gents, and those cracking Hawk photos!

The kit just has indentations where there should be more like grills, so I filled these with liquid putty then scored lines in. They look better when you don’t zoom in! I’ll tidy them up once the putty sets. 

I’m not sure what that blowhole is for, even though the fuselage shape is a little dolphinesque. Do I need to drill it deeper, fill it, put a grid over it? …

AF60715-A-C5-E6-4090-8134-9-BFC8-EE5-EED

I made the long aerial for under the forward fuselage as this wasn’t in the kit either.

73-EE079-C-A188-4-A54-9747-04-D203-BD9-E

Canopy masked then dry fitted with blu-tack ready for spraying soon.

E8-CAEAB6-68-F0-4-EFC-B7-F4-DAF2-DE88-A2

• Like 4

Using the brilliant Britmodeller walk around section, it appears I needed to do some work on the airbrake bay.

4572887-F-CD4-F-4-DD4-8666-5-A787930-EEF

The kit one is just an empty space, so with the help of a thin offcut of spare missile rail and plastic card I made a few rudimentary details to bring it to life a bit. First up, a central line to bend the card over to give a bit of a curved interior.

C1937916-E4-DA-4-DF7-879-A-8-FD5-D8-C577

799-B5-A38-9481-435-B-B548-D45-F57-F904-

Far from accurate, but an improvement on the bare pit that was there before. 

16-F477-E9-736-D-4-EE0-A913-E44-F6-A530-

It’ll hardly be seen once the airbrake is fitted anyway. I’m assuming the interior will be red, same as the main airframe underside.

• Like 4

I got some of the spraying done in the last couple of days; light aircraft grey for the inner wings, which I then bagged up and masked, and today the gloss (more like satin) white upper fuselage. This seems to be taking ages to dry.

I’ll leave the white to dry thoroughly then mask that up ready for spraying the Humbrol 19 gloss red. No idea if that’s 100% accurate, everyone seems to use Gunze these days, but the old Humbrol rattle can is good enough for me. Probably why most kits on the forum look better than mine, but as it’s only me and my better half (who genuinely couldn’t tell a Hawk from a Spitfire and wouldn’t want to!) who really see them, that’s all good with me.

EC7-C4-B6-D-AAAB-46-D1-A8-DE-EFFB2-C1-DE

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, bar side said:

This is my 164 - pretty much out of the box with the decal set.  I do like the flaps on this kit.  I am just looking at a couple of red & white builds.  The Jet Provost has just ventured out of its box & I got a Chippie for Christmas

XIkjSZy.jpg

And very nice it is too!

• Like 1

Working on the cockpit this afternoon, with the central fairing added. I don’t think the rear cockpit had a HUD, so I used plastic card to cover over the gap, and a couple of extra bits of detail.

EAE183-E4-F9-E9-4-A7-A-BCA1-A4-D52-DD1-A

The clear partition was the wrong shape, being just flat along the base, so I cut and filed it to match the cockpit fairing shape.

5007-C71-B-BD3-D-4-EFB-80-D0-29-D20-F1-A

Seats added.

86-D6-D608-A5-B6-4-D46-89-F2-A8859-E0557

52-CE59-E5-0-DC8-483-C-93-E8-B51-BC09-F9

I need to work out a way to display the canopy open but so the attachments still look realistic. Any suggestions?

2315-D140-052-E-4-CF5-B7-FB-8540-A480-FB

• Like 8

Nope, never figured out how to pose a Hawk canopy open without gluing it permanently to the fuselage side.  I guess some kit of L shaped wire bracket to run down inside the cockpit.  Or maybe a wire along the hinge edge with wires dropping at 90 degrees that can do the same

• Thanks 1

I made the cockpit mirrors for inside the canopy. 

38-E96-EEB-AB89-4799-9-A1-D-2-A7-C1-B4-D

Always a relief when they don’t tailsit. I made a couple of hydraulic pipes on the oleos from wire painted black and bent into shape.

FE2-F390-B-D6-EB-4700-8-B29-D263-CF17-F8

• Like 5

Hi, Nice build, I have built a model of XX164 in RWB myself. (as i began working on Hawks in 1983). Just as a matter of interest, The Hawk went through a number of changes when in the Red/White/ Grey scheme. It was around this period that the underwing serials were painted over in grey. There is a small triangular soft plastic piece at the bottom rear of the main undercarriage doors. This was a yellow/brown colour and was left unpainted. When the fleet was being fitted with 3 plate brakes this triangle was painted Golden yellow with -"Warning 3 plate brakes fitted" in 1/4 inch black letters. The MDC stencil below each canopy side was the same as the Harrier one. The Hawk shaped one came in much later. The Yellow "RESCUE" arrow had "From Either Side" painted under it. No Step area`s were marked as Red Crosses. These crosses were also applied to the rearmost fuselage panels.  The aftermarket decal sheet shows the tailplane alignment lines on both Tailplanes. It was only ever applied to the Port tailplane and would line up with a similar line on the fuselage.  Also a later addition was clear polyurethane tape. This was applied to flying surface leading edges to prevent erosion. This tape soon turned a yellowy/ Brown colour relatively quickly. I hope you find this useful for your buld. I look forward to seeing it finished!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1