Academy 1/72 HEMTT ... Updated with new cargo load

(See end of posts for new pics)

Sometimes you just have to "build out of the box" to get the mojo back

Academy 1/72 HEMTT. Fantastic value kit, or it was when I bought it 18 months ago for £12. Full of details (although some of them are not that accurate) but it's a tad tricky to assemble. The tyre tread is total fiction though, they couldn't mould the real tread pattern because of IM limitations. The only extra I added is the load, I made it removeable so I can change it in the future.

The dust around the tyre sidewalls was done with Mike Rinaldi's OPR technique. This was my first go at OPR and it turned out not bad, though it did take a lot of time.

lhlLhS2v_o.jpg

JIyUhSg4_o.jpg

bGjL3bLh_o.jpg

QWcvHdi2_o.jpg

AAx3oX7z_o.jpg

• Like 23

Looks fantastic!

i’ve been building the modelcollect version and been struggling with the weathering. I used a flory models wash all over it and its not right. Think i have been too heavy handed with it.

Yours, however, looks spot on. I like the simple base too.

Do you have any links on Mike Rinaldi’s opr?? I’d like to try it out on mine.

Did you use the OPR technique on the rest of the truck or just the wheels??

Cheers, Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m4rky said:

Do you have any links on Mike Rinaldi’s opr?? I’d like to try it out on mine.

Did you use the OPR technique on the rest of the truck or just the wheels??

Cheers, Mark

18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Looks great but what does OPR stand for please

Hi Mark,

OPR was done on just the tyre walls. I was going to weather the hemtt more but I decided on a minimal weathering (just using pigments) as I didn't want to screw it up, I also used pigments for the load bed.

Flory washes may be better suited to aircraft as it's more for panel lines than anything else, if we're talking about the same thing. As the Flory wash is clay based you should be able to wash it off.

For Mike Rinaldi, try his youtube channel, the vids show exactly how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/c/RinaldiStudioPress/videos

Hi Bertie,

OPR is Oil Paint Rendering, using oil paints as a weathering medium. It's different to oil paint washes, have a look at Mike Rinaldi's videos, it's a facinating technique

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

OPR is Oil Paint Rendering, using oil paints as a weathering medium. It's different to oil paint washes, have a look at Mike Rinaldi's videos, it's facinating technique

Thanks. I find TLAs quite confusing when not explained.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks. I find TLAs quite confusing when not explained.

That is like a disease! Its everywhere. Everybody does that and than expect that we all understand what  it means... its human nature in its best.

Cheers

LM

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

An update ...

You know how it goes, I had some spare downtime between models (waiting for paint to dry, waiting for the mojo to return etc etc) and I suddenly got the burning desire to re-build the load for the Hemtt. I did intend to return to it at some point ... just not yet :rolleyes:

But I thought it'd be a piece of cake, just make some sort of fuel tank with pump. Just throw together a few kit bits and job's a good 'un. Well, it ended up a bit more involved than that but that's another story.

The 2 main donor parts were the Airfix QL refueller tank and a Hasegawa GPU (from one of their 72 weapon sets), both modified. Add some plasticard, tamiya 3mm square beam, a few doofers, paint it sand (for some contrast with the camo) and add a few stencil decals. Add some weathering and this is the result.

The only thing I didn't think through was the HEMTT is marked as SFOR so you're unlikley to have desert equipment hanging around in that conflict. Not impossible by any means, but unlikely. I can live with that as the new load (and the sand colour) suits the model much better

(Pencil shown in pics for scale)

HLWrazc7_o.jpg

Kpdzn244_o.jpg

ajh7oNYa_o.jpg

fD7porMP_o.jpg

LmCuigrG_o.jpg

• Like 3

• Foghorn Leghorn changed the title to Academy 1/72 HEMTT ... Updated with new cargo load