How to do canopy frames and panel lines in Fusion 360?

zebra

Title says it all really. I'm giving Fusion 360 a go, would like to add some panel lines, canopy frames and I suppose some other surface features will come up as well, what's the best way to add them to a surface or a solid in F360?

cheers

Julian

I'm using CATIA v5.

For panel lines, I create a thick skin (the skin thickness should be the same as the panel line depth) of the entire airframe, remove the bits that are not panels, before subtracting what is now a load of panel lines from the main body.

This ends up with the model with some cutaway bits as panel lines. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm using CATIA v5.

For panel lines, I create a thick skin (the skin thickness should be the same as the panel line depth) of the entire airframe, remove the bits that are not panels, before subtracting what is now a load of panel lines from the main body.

Thanks, I'll give this a go. What depth do you use for panel lines? I'm guessing at about 0.2mm.

12 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm using CATIA v5.

Ben, have you considered projecting lines onto the surface, and using them as a thin feature with an extruded cut?  (Offset from the surface )

I'm sure that would save a lot of work

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Ben, have you considered projecting lines onto the surface, and using them as a thin feature with an extruded cut?  (Offset from the surface )

Do you know how to do that in Fusion 360?

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Hi Hendie,

You're quite correct, this does also work and it can be quite a bit quicker. Annoyingly, CATIA gets very funny about projecting lines that touch (or go over) the edge of a surface and therefore refuses to get them. The other benefit of creating a thin walled shell is the panel line depth is always constant as, rather than extruding the panel lines in a direction, the panel line depth is determined by the wall thickness.

@zebra, I'll try and find some online tutorials... I learnt all of my CAD skills from youtube - there are some fantastic resources out there :)

• Thanks 1

I use Rhino 3d and it really is a very simple process to create a set of vector lines either in Rhino or in a vector editor like Illustrator, project the lines onto surfaces, solids or subdivision surfaces.  From there you can sweep a profile or create a pipe and then use the Boolean commands to subtract, intersect or split.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:43 AM, wellsprop said:

The other benefit of creating a thin walled shell is the panel line depth is always constant

as it is when you extrude the cut using "offset to surface" option. The downside is that it doesn't always work if the surface is very complex so sometimes I have to use several discrete operations to complete the process. 

My home laptop wasn't built for CAD so I have to be conscious of file size.  The Wapiti build was about the limits of what it could handle without frustrating me too much

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1