Royal Norwegian Air Force F-86F-40 ordnance

Marlin

Hi, :D 

With the new and upcoming of Airfix's Sabre F-86F-40 I'm planing to build one from the Royal Norwegian Airforce. 
I found this painting online and wonder if this a correct loadout for a Norwegian Sabre?
s-l1600.jpg
Source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123734072483

If it's, I just found the ordnance I want on mine. :D

/Bosse

Never seen any underwing weapons on RNAF/RNoAF F-86Fs. The F-86Ks did carry AIM-9s though.

Not very accurate painting, in many aspects.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to modify my statement. I found this photo, which show small dumb bombs.

spacer.png

Also this one, which shows what could be carried, at least in theory.

spacer.png

And then you could add a couple of JATO rockets, forward blowing for short runway landings....

Nils

• Like 2

WOW. :analintruder:

Thanks Nils

That's quite a lot to choose from. 

Could the large cylindrical ones in the top row (on the ground) be napalm canisters?

And 16 Tiny Tim rockets?

/Bosse - who now need more than one Norwegian Sabre.  :lol:

• Haha 1

The Airfix F86F-40 an interesting prospect.  Did  Norway buy these brand new?   Is the wing 6" 3" with tip extensions and slats.   Also wondering what other Sabre versions might be built by maybe leaving off the tip extensions and or slats?

Thanks

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boman said:

The Norwegian F-86F's had the 6-3 wing reinstalled during the service life. Same with the F-86K if I'm not mistaken. 

No - the RNoAF F-86Fs were delivered to USAF units with the 6-3 wing installed in production; the F-40 wing was installed after subsequent receipt by Norway (sometime after receipt in some cases, as shown above).

Interestingly the Norwegian Kongsberg Vapenfabrik produced a good number of AGM-12 missiles for both Norway and other countries. Wonder if whoever did the painting had assumed for some reason that these missiles would have been used on the Sabre. In reality they were approved for use on the F-5, F-104 and P-3 and IIRC early in their career the F-16s could also use them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Interesting!, any pics?

Cheers,

Andre

Not seen any, but have to say I've not searched either.

Mind, this is something I read on a publication issued when the very first F-16s were reaching Norway, it may well be that this was something expected back then but the  missile was never really integrated.

• Like 1

You can download a monograph on Norwegian Sabres (and other types) from this site: https://flyblader.com/luftforsvaret.html

The text and profiles is not always 100% accurate. But the aircraft lists are well researched and the photos speak for themselves.

Nils

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1