1/72 - Lockheed Hudson Mk.IV/V/VI by Special Hobby - release in 2023 ?

Homebee

Special Hobby is to release new tool 1/72nd Lockheed Hudson Mk.IV/V/VI kit - ref. SH72425

Sources: 

https://www.specialhobby.info/2022/01/news-from-special-hobby-012021.html

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH72425

(...) The SH team are also working on a new Hudson tooling (...)

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

I was sure Airfix were going to add a 1/48 Hudson this year but they've gone with the Anson instead.

Well done Special Hobby on (hopefully) filling the gap.

Two wishes came true: Anson and Hudson!

Now I just need a Hampdon and my stash will be complete ...

... maybe.😏

Edited by New Tool

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed Hudson Mk.IV/V/VI by Special Hobby - release Autumn 2022

4 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Is it going to be 1/48 or 1/72 or both?

New tool 1/72 kit. Or partially new tool because in 2021 I heard info that Hudson will be just refreshed - old main parts, like fuselage and wings, but newly tooled and much better quality small parts. We'll see.

47 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Are we sure it’s 1/72? the newsletter looks to indicate a 1/48 kit

The SH team are also working on a new Hudson tooling, and mentioning the quarter scale, ….’ 

Pracujeme na modelu Hudson z nových forem.

In the original newsletter this is one sentence, 1/48 scale news start from the next one.

• Like 1

This is great news. But didn't Special Hobby produce a Hudson kit a few years ago which was, by all accounts, a pretty difficult build?  I suspected, wrongly as it turned out, that Airfix was going to announce a Hudson in 1/72 which would certainly complement their Beaufort and Blenheim so, as that didn't come to pass, a new tool Hudson from Special Hobby is very welcome news. 

Of equally good news (actually even better news from my point of view) is the affirmation of the first two-stage Merlin Mosquito kit. Hopefully there will be both fighter and bomber/PR variants so I can offload the Airfix ones I bought.  

Edited by Meatbox8
Correction

30 minutes ago, Yes_Man said:

Drat, I just bought the OOP Academy the other day. Ah well I'll be happy to wait and see what SH bring us. They've done a fantastic job recently so I'm optimistic that it will tick all the boxes.

Hi

didn't know academy did a hudson

might try to get one to go with my academy ventura 

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

But didn't Special Hobby produce a Hudson kit a few years ago which was, by all accounts, a pretty difficult build?

Released under MPM label in 2006, reboxed by Classic Plane, Italeri and Revell. In the last 2-3 years on 50% sale in Special Hobby online shop.

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Of equally good news (actually even better news from my point of view) is the affirmation of the first two-stage Merlin Mosquito kit. Hopefully there will be both fighter and bomber/PR variants so I can offload the Airfix ones I bought.

IIRC renders posted by Special Hobby, this should be whole family, nine (?) versions.

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

didn't know academy did a hudson

As far as I know only Airfix in 1963 and MPM/Special Hobby in 2006 released new tool Hudsons in 1/72.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Are we sure it’s 1/72? the newsletter looks to indicate a 1/48 kit

The SH team are also working on a new Hudson tooling, and mentioning the quarter scale, ….’ 

Key word there is ALSO, they've released the kit number for the 1/72nd kit which indicates this is further into development than the 1/48th kit

On 11/01/2022 at 07:28, Homebee said:

Special Hobby is to release new tool 1/72nd Lockheed Hudson Mk.IV/V/VI kit - ref. SH72425

31 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

That ALSO is referring to the earlier news about 1/72 kits.

We weren't talking about other kits, we were talking about Hudson's. The query was whether Special Hobby were developing kits in 1/72 and 1/48 or just 1/48, I gave evidence it was both scales.

3 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I gave evidence it was both scales.

I'm sorry but what "evidence" are you talking about? Sentence, you are referring to, is part of Special Hobby's newsletter translated from Czech to English. When you look on Czech original, you can clearly see there is no single word about 1/48 Hudson. The phrase "Ve čtvrtce" means 1/48 scale, just as "Ve dvaatřicetině" means 1/32 scale. Here is original and where each scale is mentioned.

Special-Hobby-2022.png

• Thanks 1

The vaguaries of internet translations...

Taking the abovementioned blog entry in Czech and translated with Google does this (period use!)

‎We would like to thank all our customers for their cooperation and support in 2021. We have had a very successful year and we believe that 2022 will be at least as successful. Already because the upcoming models are very attractive. Among them you will find the long-awaited Mirage 3/5 1/72 family, another version of Sunderland 1/72, the first of a series of double stage Mosquito. We are working on a Hudson model from new forms. 

[a paragraph break here would have prevented a lot of noise - mine]

On Thursday we are preparing a version of the Siebel Si 204E/Aero C-3B with turret and bomb bay and brand new Baltimore models in multiple versions, Piper L-4, SIAI-Marchetti SF-260 and modified Heinkel He 177. But the novelty par excellence in 1/48 scale will be the AH-1G Cobra. Of course, we will also offer Cobra later in the AH-1Q version.

[logical break - mine]

At thirty-two, the Fiat G.50B Bicomando is in the works, as well as one surprise, but it's still too early to come. A list of models planned for this year can be found in the appendix of this newsletter. CMK accessories from resin and from the new range of 3D prints will be announced continuously‎

It's kind of a run-on paragraph, but with this translation, nowhere does it specifically mention a scale for the Hudson.  The build-up of the paragraph however would suggest 1/72 to me, as we do know the Siebel is 1/48 and everything after that is known to be 1/48.

27 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

The vaguaries of internet translations...

Yep. Translators are far from perfect, especially when translating Slavic languages into English. That is why the construction of the original text should be taken into account.

And the construction here is quite obvious - first the 1/72 scale is mentioned and it continues until the statement "Ve čtvrtce", with which the discussion of the 1/48 scale announcement begins.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Yep. Translators are far from perfect, especially when translating Slavic languages into English. That is why the construction of the original text should be taken into account.

And the construction here is quite obvious - first the 1/72 scale is mentioned and it continues until the statement "Ve čtvrtce", with which the discussion of the 1/48 scale announcement begins.

I am with you regarding this translation...

18 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm sorry but what "evidence" are you talking about?

The full sentence from the Special Hobby website English page states

"The SH team are also working on a new Hudson tooling, and mentioning the quarter scale, we will have for you the gun turret- and bomb bay-equipped version of the Siebel Si 204E/Aero C-3B and also a whole new Baltimore in several versions, plus the Piper L-4, SIAI-Marchetti SF-260 and a somewhat improved Heinkel He 177."

No mention of 1/72nd scale, the implication from this sentence is all models mentioned are quarter scale ie 1/48th.

The Czech page you've quoted, whilst appearing to give similar information, isn't the same layout and doesn't have the same sentence structure. If what you say is correct, the page I have linked to has given rise to what appears to be a misunderstanding, arising from a poor translation into English (by Special Hobby), which implies they are developing a 1/48 scale Hudson. Separately the catalogue number for a 1/72 scale Hudson has been released.  

The evidence given was in good faith directly from information from Special Hobby's website.

• Like 1

I read “and mentioning the quarter scale” to mean “turning now to Quarter scale”, not “having started with quarter acale let me add”. Direct translation is not as simple as one would think. Wars have started over less. My money is on 1/72 but we shall see.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

I read “and mentioning the quarter scale” to mean “turning now to Quarter scale”, not “having started with quarter acale let me add”. Direct translation is not as simple as one would think. Wars have started over less. My money is on 1/72 but we shall see.

Or maybe it's actually 1/4 scale 😉 Either way it's not written very well, possibly due to the translation. At first I read it like it's 1/48th, but reading it again, the fact they didn't mention 1/48th, before saying "mentioning the quarter scale" makes me agree with you that's it's more likely 1/72nd.