Tamiya 1:32 F14A Tomcat - First build in 23 years - first try at airbrush

Hello folks, just wanted some input on my first build since I was 13 years old, 23 years ago. My father recently passed away and his hobby was RC aircraft, so with me not really having the budget for that and recalling how much I loved building the plastic kits he used to buy me as a boy, I was given a (massive) F14A for my birthday by my wife, to keep me busy over the December holidays. She wasn't aware I'd need glues/paints/tools etc. so I had to make due with my local hobby shop, which in fairness didn't have a massive range. So before I get slaughtered over the model's accuracy, they didn't have gull grays at all, I had to use Mr.Hobby light and dark gray, also no yellow so will need to redo all the orange when I get yellow. I also used an airbrush for the first time and LOVED that! This was more just for fun and to get myself back into the hobby. A lot of details are very incorrect I know, some decal placement was just for the practice, a lot of decals have silvered, (I decided to rather paint the red on the fins as those decals were massive) my weathering is a bit much, but all in all I had a blast and I have already gotten am Academy F4 in 1:48 to start on next. 

51814534495_9cffd93b87_b.jpg20220107_155616 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813916143_f8d4c8363c_b.jpg20220107_154953 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51814158964_997663cf44_b.jpg20220107_155004 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51814534830_b4b2931ce6_b.jpg20220107_155046 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813916008_bdaa3605ea_b.jpg20220107_155144 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813815166_b864353151_b.jpg20220107_155133 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51814534750_89a608de80_b.jpg20220107_155153 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813815106_a1f04f7270_b.jpg20220107_155229 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51814158724_3e1da2e91d_b.jpg20220107_155257 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51812852052_896eb0e2e7_b.jpg20220107_155304 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813915863_376555b39d_b.jpg20220107_155337 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813915783_ecb5b9c76e_b.jpg20220107_155402 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

51813915683_b41c27bbf5_b.jpg20220111_080720 by Eben Rabe, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, I have a lot to learn still and will focus on accuracy with my Phantom build. 

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

That is an ambitious re entry into scale model building, but what a great result, yes there is room for improvement but that will come with every build you do and you had a blast doing it! That’s what’s it all about, good job!

Thank you sir, yes she was a tricky thing at times, I've been trolling the forums and watching a lot of videos on technique so hopefully with practice and a wider variety of paints I can get good at this.😅

9 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

That is an ambitious re entry into scale model building, but what a great result, yes there is room for improvement but that will come with every build you do and you had a blast doing it! That’s what’s it all about, good job!

Well done, thats a fine looking Tomcat:like:. Honestly, you wouldnt think you hadnt built anything for 23 years. When you get more paints I reccomend getting a range of gloss/semi/matt varnishes as well. Using your airbrush, have a go at glossing the paintwork  before you put the decals on, that will stop 99.9% of the silvering, then matt down again afterwards.

4 hours ago, Erabe said:

I also used an airbrush for the first time and LOVED that!

Great first go with the airbrushing as well, just wait until you have a go at a mottle scheme or using Blutac worms to create wavy patterns, then it really is fun.

Pete

Congratulations on a beautiful model, iam in my 60s and iam still learning, you have done fine just enjoy yourself that is what its all about enjoying building models. I look forward to your next build. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Well done, thats a fine looking Tomcat:like:. Honestly, you wouldnt think you hadnt built anything for 23 years. When you get more paints I reccomend getting a range of gloss/semi/matt varnishes as well. Using your airbrush, have a go at glossing the paintwork  before you put the decals on, that will stop 99.9% of the silvering, then matt down again afterwards.

Great first go with the airbrushing as well, just wait until you have a go at a mottle scheme or using Blutac worms to create wavy patterns, then it really is fun.

Pete

Thank you so much sir, I am a graphic designer professionally so I do "sort of" have a built-in eye for detail, the size of this model helped too I think😋  thanks for the tip as well, makes sense and I will do! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a beautiful model, iam in my 60s and iam still learning, you have done fine just enjoy yourself that is what its all about enjoying building models. I look forward to your next build. 

Thank you Homer, agreed for sure!

42 minutes ago, ringo said:

Stunning that this is your first build in 23 years and your first try with an airbrush.  I really love the result, colour and weathering!  Congratulations...

Thanks Ringo! It took forever and it's not perfect, but I'm proud of it! 😄

I have the same kit - albeit the old boxing -  and I must honestly say, that if mine comes out as well as yours, I'll be a happy bunny! :goodjob:(that IS a saying right? Happy bunny? Saw it on QI! :hmmm:)

Looking forward what you build as the next! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

2 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

I have the same kit - albeit the old boxing -  and I must honestly say, that if mine comes out as well as yours, I'll be a happy bunny! :goodjob:(that IS a saying right? Happy bunny? Saw it on QI! :hmmm:)

Looking forward what you build as the next! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

If it's on Q it must be true. 😜The scale really helps with making errors easier to "cover up", I'm scared of the Phantom in 1:48 for that reason but also looking forward to improving.  The kit was really good for me comparing to what I had 2 decades ago... imo. Thank you for the kind words sir!

19 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Grey, orange or yellow, you have done a great job 👍

Welcome back to the hobby, from someone who just recently also found my way back to sniffing glue again :) 

Cheers

Johnny b 

Hahaha yes, I keep telling my wife I was high when I built it. 🤣🤣 Thank you!

25 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Great model and I love the story behind it.

Thank you sir! 

Amazing build, great looking Tomcat. Weathering....maybe could be little lighter, but those birds were used extensively, so in general i like this look,

Looking forward to see next model from you

Regards Djordje

17 minutes ago, djos said:

Amazing build, great looking Tomcat. Weathering....maybe could be little lighter, but those birds were used extensively, so in general i like this look,

Looking forward to see next model from you

Regards Djordje

Thank you sir, yes I tried doing pre-shading, then painted too thick over it, then tried post shading (can see the nose section is much more weathered than the fuz) then got scared 😅 and tried panel line wash which refused to come off properly, probably due to matt varnish, so I agree the weathering is quite heavy, but now I know... I will do a full build post with the Phantom next and hopefully get some good advice! Thanks Djordje! 😁

• Like 1

Decided to use an old toy stand and some steel rod to make a low-alpha landing stance and painted the back of the glass of an old photo frame in a "runway" scheme with some cans of spraypaint I had. Now I'll need to make a name plaque for it somehow...😅

51813365222_98fdc551c4_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Erabe. Welcome back to the hobby . Really sorry to hear about your Dad☹️

i must say that's a very nice looking model indeed , even more so as it's your first ' serious' attempt as an adult. You'll find BM members are nice guys and will always be open to giving advice and tips.  I liked the display stand you made too. That's pretty inventive and poses the model in a realistic pose. Sounds like you really enjoyed making this.

if I overdo panel line marking I use clean cotton buds and white spirit.. and very gently tease the overspill off. I let the bud draw the panel line wash off.. as little contact as possible .. you just want to mobilise the marker .. not sure if this will work on Matt or flat paints but maybe have a go on a less conspicuous area of your Tomcat? 

Kind Regards, Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz

That's brilliant the airbrushing is terrific. I don't know if anyone said above but if you wanna stop silvering spray a gloss coat before the decals.  You did a brilliant job of masking the canopy as well man!

Terrific build, very well done! Nothing wrong with using the materials you have got either, some aim to capture historical replicas while others see the hobby as a form of art. The most important thing is to enjoy it 🙂

Might have a crack at an F14 myself

That's a terrific result considering how long you've been away from the hobby. Mastering just the build ....never mind the airbrushing and weathering at your 'first' attempt is outstanding work and the main thing is you've enjoyed it. The F-14 is a great aircraft to model in any scale. I hope it's helped to take your mind off your loss. Sincere condolences. I also lost a dear loved one last year and the model making definitely helped me take my mind off things. Looking forward to your next build...... 👍

Thank you so much all for the warm welcomes, compliments, advice and condolences, you're all really a wonderful group of people! 😊 I cannot wait to learn from you all. I'll be starting on this soon:

51815894708_35a63b5fb2_o.jpgdsc_0636

But I am planning on doing a shelf in my gun room with my childhood favourite big 4 - the F14, F15, F16, and F18 before the end of the year. 😁 And once I'm done with those I should be good enough to take on the 1:32 Mirage IIIC as an homage to my dad who used to work on them in the SAAF in the 80's. 

Your first time using an airbrush is better than my "I have some experience" work! Beautiful work. Welcome back and continue to enjoy the hobby.

My condolences to you regarding your dad.

What a cracking job with the airbrush. You've identified what could be better and I've no doubt the next build will be stunning. As a relative noob still painting with hairy stick this post has made a small airbrush itch that I might have to scratch.