Academy 1/72 SB2C-4 Helldiver - US Coast Guard

Just finished my latest addition to my collection of US Coast Guard aircraft in 1/72 scale.

The patchwork finish is because they were war-weary  planes converted by the Navy to land-based SAR duty.  The old squadron markings were painted over with fresh Dark Sea Blue, and new insignia and markings were then applied.  (Shows how much the original color had faded!).   The USCG had three of them in San Diego, where they were used for rapid delivery of life rafts and provisions, and to evaluate their potential for post-war use.

I must say, the Academy kit is really nice- the current boxing (Operation Iceberg) includes PE dive brakes, if you want to use them. (I didn’t.).  The markings for a Rescue plane were only ever offered by Academy in the first Deluxe release of the kit- back in 2006. ( The first boxing that included PE dive brakes.).  Fortunately, it wasn’t hard to come up with necessary markings.  I used my Silhouette Cameo4 to make masks, and painted the “RESCUE”.

This was my first attempt at really fading a plane painted in overall Dark Sea Blue.   I really like how it came out- the “fresh paint” patches really stand out!  The model was painted initially with Vallejo Dark Sea Blue.  I then lightened the color by mixing in a little intermediate blue, and applied it heavily thinned.  I did this several times, adding a little more of the lighter blue each time.   Decals went on near the end- they were “new markings”.

I also tried the Kits World “3D Seatbelt Decals”, and I like the way they look.  I like them a lot better than PE belts in this scale!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
added photo links
  • Like 54

Brilliant!

I never knew the USCG had such aircraft in their inventory. This is Oh so different!

Well built and extremely well painted.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very nice 👍. Some larger pictures would be better though.

Here’s a link to my gallery:

https://billmichaels.smugmug.com/Bills-Stuff/Modelling/n-fK4qbP/ProjectsBuilds/Plastic-models/SB2C-4-Helldiver

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That looks great! Nice job on the fading, too.

One question: How did you get the bomb-bay doors closed? The kit only has open doors.

Chris

Chris,

It was a pleasant surprise at how easy it was to do!  All I did was to carefully cut along the molded line, then  a little gentle sanding yielded a perfect fit. 

-Bill

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Chris,

It was a pleasant surprise at how easy it was to do!  All I did was to carefully cut along the molded line, then  a little gentle sanding yielded a perfect fit. 

-Bill

That is good to know. I've a couple pf these & generally prefer such detail to be closed & had wondered how it might go, so good to know its doable. :)

Steve.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:06 AM, jean said:

Brilliant!

I never knew the USCG had such aircraft in their inventory. This is Oh so different!

Congrats!

JR

I have to agree!

On 1/11/2022 at 5:06 AM, jean said:

Brilliant!

Congrats!

JR

Thanks!

FWIW,  the first “Deluxe” (with PE parts)  release of the kit was in 2006- that is the only release to ever include “Rescue” markings.  But they got the description wrong-  calling it a USCG aircraft from NAS Kanoehe, Hawaii, in 1945.  (The Hawaii-based planes were USN, not USCG.)

All my Coast Guard aviation references say that the CG only had a 2 or 3 Helldivers, all based at CG Air Station San Diego.  It is a trivial thing, as the planes were all Navy-owned, and the few given to the Coast Guard looked just like the ones used by the Navy in Hawaii.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:39 AM, Wulfman said:

Lovely job on the Helldiver, I will attempt to match your blue on my French Bearcat !

Wulfman

Since I hadn’t tried anything  like that before: I had a copy of the old Airfix helldiver in the stash, so I slapped the basic airframe together, and  used that as a testbed  for practicing the fading of the topside color…..

Edited by RC Boater Bill
fixed old typos, added new ones