Flying kit Operation Firedog?

David Womby

So what would 45 Squadron, and others, aircrews wear under their lifejackets when flying during Firedog.   Full RAF trousers and jacket in RAF Blue or khaki shorts and short-sleeved shirt.

David

Hello David,

my former boss started his RAF career in -48 flying Beaufighters and if I remember correctly he served with 45 Squadron initially. He showed me his B&W photos and the aircrew were wearing KD (short-sleeved shirts and shorts) with a standard RAF blue-grey beak caps. Unfortunately it was more than 25 years ago I saw those pictures and I can't remember all the details. I wish I had made notes as there were some very nice shots of Spitfires, Beaufighters, Brigands,...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 11:02 PM, David Womby said:

So what would 45 Squadron, and others, aircrews wear under their lifejackets when flying during Firedog.   Full RAF trousers and jacket in RAF Blue or khaki shorts and short-sleeved shirt.

David

Hi David

I don't know for sure what the answer is but when my dad was flying in Burma, he wore Army style khaki Jacket and shorts with shoes and long wool socks. Post war in Japan (1946) it was the same style jacket but with light weight trousers. 

John

• Like 1

@David Womby This is my old man in Burma David, I know it was before the time frame, but not much and I suspect that in that part of the world comfort would have been more of a issue than Air Ministry dictates. When he was in Japan he was flying VIP's and various dignitaries around so I imagine 'proper' uniform would have been appropriate. Not he has no rank or wings, just the RAF shoulder flash. He told me he often flew without his helmet on too, he later said that could have been the reason he was chopped from flying due to hearing damage.   

qWrRA5.jpg

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

A nice photo and precious details, thank you for sharing them John (I forgot to mention those long wool socks). Your father is wearing a similar kit that my boss wore in Singapore.

Cheers,

Antti

I never understood the logic behind short with long socks, it defeats the object somewhat, unless it's to stop anything nasty biting you 😊

John

• Haha 2