AIRFIX 2022 HIT OR MISS?

trickydicky210

6 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Exactly. (The question was rhetorical, BTW)

I was going to make exactly your point @Paul Bradley

Can you imagine the furore if Airfix were still producing aircraft with no cockpit detail (even if they were priced at £5) for kids to start on. For those who like building them there is the Vintage Classics range.

• Like 1

Have to split my 2 cents in two here, coming from someone mainly interested in aircraft kits

In general I feel that Airfix has come up with some pretty good ideas, the 1/24 Spitfire ix is one of those kits that I'm sure many will build and I'm expencting a lot of them to appear in this and other forums and in magazines. The big 1/24 kits have always been Airfix flagship and it makes perfect sense to have a modern Spitfire kit in this line.

The 1/48 Buccaneer is something that many were hoping for and it's a subject for which Airfix sure have some idea of the commercial potential, considering that they already had one. The Anson is a bit more unusual (actually way more..). It's one of those kits that I'm sure will appeal to a certain market niche, not sure of how successful it will be, we'll see. For sure adds some variety to the catalogue. The rest of the 1/48 news is made from reboxes or new variants, all pretty safe bets.

In 1/72 scale the Meteor is sure an interesting addition however it's a pity that no other kits has been announced. There are some interesting reboxes (the Spitfire 22 was becoming quite hard to find) but one single new release is disappointing.

The classic range adds a few kits, some are interesting because of thhe subject (Beaver, Basset), the F-80 is a very nice kit, others are less interesting and seriously show their age. Since many will look at them for the nostalgia factor, whatever Airfix reissued would have probably been welcome.

Overall not one of the greatest years but the big Spitfire will guarantee that Airfix will be talked about a lot !

When it comes to my personal interests things change quite a lot... the 1/24 Spit may be great but I don't build in this scale so I'll never buy one. The 1/48 Buccaneer is one of those kits that I may buy if I find one at a great price, but generally I prefer to build my FAA aircraft in 1/72 scale, so another unlikely purchase. I have zero interest in an Anson in any scale (with the possible exception of a late variant in IAC markings) so another type I will not buy... and I tend to prefer  my Spitfires in 1/72, although I may make an exception for the FR.18.

Of the 1/72 reboxes I may get another Spitfire 22 or even two and I may also get an F-80. Maybe the Basset too. Then there's the 1/72 Meteor, that I may buy even if I already have the MPM kit (the fancy one with resin and PE)... however the price Airfix is going to ask is IMHO pretty high.

And this brings me to the matter of prices... I am well aware that everything is turning more and more expensive, all raw materials are increasing in price day after day and shipping and a number of related services are also increasing in cost dramatically. I see this in my job so I fully expect to see this in my hobby as well.

The problem is that while I can justify Airfix new prices I share the view already expressed by others that they are now entering in competition with brands that for the same price offer higher quality.

This is not something new, last year I bought on the same day the Airfix Spitfire Vc and the Arma Hobby Hurricane, €15 for the Spit and €12 for the Hurricane (in the basic box, with no PE). Recently I found the Airfix kit in a different shop for €13.50, so let's say comparable to the Arma kit yet the difference in quality between the two kits is very noticeable.

I know well that what works well in Poland may not work in the UK even with production in India or wherever, I am well aware of how producing in different countries may impact pricing and so on. I also know very well that the kind of distribution and presence that Airfix have in some markets will still guarantee their sales. However there is a section of the market that cares for quality and while certain issues may be forgiven in a £10 kit, the same may not be forginen when the kit price starts creeping closer to the £20 mark, particularly when others show that it's possible to do better.

Now here we're on a forum followed mostly by modellers either from Britain or with a strong interest in British subjects so it makes sense that most will look forward to what Airfix will issue each new year. In the rest of the world however more and more modellers are now more interested in what Eduard or Arma or even ICM will issue. As long as Airfix issues kits of subjects that nobody else offer they can still be interesting but think of let's say a new 1/72 P-47, would I wish Airfix to do it today or Eduard, Arma and the like ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Now here we're on a forum followed mostly by modellers either from Britain or with a strong interest in British subjects so it makes sense that most will look forward to what Airfix will issue each new year. In the rest of the world however more and more modellers are now more interested in what Eduard or Arma or even ICM will issue. As long as Airfix issues kits of subjects that nobody else offer they can still be interesting but think of let's say a new 1/72 P-47, would I wish Airfix to do it today or Eduard, Arma and the like ?

Pretty much summed it up spot on here. Airfix release British things no other companies seem to want to do so I will buy those kits where they are in my scale and at a price I can justify. 

If I'm looking for a foreign aircraft, maybe a Soviet one, I'll look to the likes of ICM and Zvezda first. Even for iconic aircraft one Bf109s which they have tooled, Airfix isn't my first choice anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

This is not something new, last year I bought on the same day the Airfix Spitfire Vc and the Arma Hobby Hurricane, €15 for the Spit and €12 for the Hurricane (in the basic box, with no PE). Recently I found the Airfix kit in a different shop for €13.50, so let's say comparable to the Arma kit yet the difference in quality between the two kits is very noticeable.

Where there is direct competition and another company tools a kit of equal or greater quality of the same or a very similar subject (different variant), such as the Shackleton which has modern kits released at the same time by Airfix and Revell, I'd now lean towards the competition. I have the Revell Shackleton which I think cost me almost 40 quid because I bought it from a museum shop, but it can be bought for less than 30 online (I didn't mind paying the extra at a museum). I'm glad I decided to go with that one as the surface detail looks very good compared to the Airfix kit which now sells for over £55 from Airfix. Iirc the Airfix one has the superior interior though but surface detail which you will see is more important.

23 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

45 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

This is not something new, last year I bought on the same day the Airfix Spitfire Vc and the Arma Hobby Hurricane, €15 for the Spit and €12 for the Hurricane (in the basic box, with no PE)

Where you are located in respect of the manufacturer can have an influence on the price, in the UK current price for the Airfix Spitfire Vc is £11.99, the Arma Hurricane II basic (released around the same time) is £15.70, approx the same price difference but the other way. (prices on the big H)

I think when you consider 'quality' I think you have to look beyond accuracy and detail and consider 'buildability' as well. Taking the whole package, I think Airfix stands up well. Instructions are IMHO 2nd to none, and I have seen some examples of clever engineering (e.g. Swordfish) to make a potentially tricky build relatively easy. Some others may have more accuracy and/or detail, but are more difficult to build. Airfix have also AFAIK up to now eschewed etched or resin parts, again simplifying the build.

For the more advanced modeller, these things may not be an issue, but Airfix are trying to appeal to a broad spectrum. I would suggest that most average modellers will be able to enjoy an Airfix build and complete it to their satisfaction. This is not always the case with some Eastern European products, though in the right hands these may result in a better model.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Where you are located in respect of the manufacturer can have an influence on the price, in the UK current price for the Airfix Spitfire Vc is £11.99, the Arma Hurricane II basic (released around the same time) is £15.70, approx the same price difference but the other way. (prices on the big H)

Absolutely, each market will likely see different prices. I should however mention that the basic box I bought is the one that at Hannants retails for £ 12.99 (AH70037), so still more expensive than the Airfix kit but by a smaller margin

I've seen a similar difference at Modelhobbies, the Airfix kit sells for £10.79, the Arma basic Hurricane is 11.79.

15 minutes ago, ckw said:

I think when you consider 'quality' I think you have to look beyond accuracy and detail and consider 'buildability' as well. Taking the whole package, I think Airfix stands up well. Instructions are IMHO 2nd to none, and I have seen some examples of clever engineering (e.g. Swordfish) to make a potentially tricky build relatively easy. Some others may have more accuracy and/or detail, but are more difficult to build. Airfix have also AFAIK up to now eschewed etched or resin parts, again simplifying the build.

For the more advanced modeller, these things may not be an issue, but Airfix are trying to appeal to a broad spectrum. I would suggest that most average modellers will be able to enjoy an Airfix build and complete it to their satisfaction. This is not always the case with some Eastern European products, though in the right hands these may result in a better model.

Cheers

Colin

I never consider accuracy when discussing the general "quality" of a kit, as this is something that only some modellers may notice. What I look at is mainly how well moulded the plastic parts are, how thin the clear parts, how sharp detail is, how consistent panel lines look across the various parts.

You make a valid point about buildability and I agree that Airfix designers are great at offering clever assembly solutions. Airfix kits are also generally not lacking in detail and accuracy, on the contrary they seem today to be very focused on accuracy (apart from a few well known mistakes) and they offer good detai, often more than the competition. It's the way these are rendered in plastic form that I'm concerned about!

With an Eduard Spitfire I know that some areas may give me assembly problems, I know that a certain spot will need a sliver of thin card and some filler... and any time I build this kit I always find exactly the same, admittedly small, issues. With Airfix kits, even when building the same kit I built before, I never know what I can find: sometimes the parts go together perfectly, other times I have to get rid of all all alignment pins to achieve a good fit. The same applies to the presence of warped or damaged parts, happens to everyone but seems to be happening to Airfix more often today.

On the positive side, one area where others should learn from Airfix is in the decals: theirs are among the best in both design and print quality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

With Airfix kits, even when building the same kit I built before, I never know what I can find: sometimes the parts go together perfectly, other times I have to get rid of all all alignment pins to achieve a good fit. The same applies to the presence of warped or damaged parts, happens to everyone but seems to be happening to Airfix more often today.

That's true - quality control seems to be an issue.

Cheers

Colin

50 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I never consider accuracy when discussing the general "quality" of a kit, as this is something that only some modellers may notice. What I look at is mainly how well moulded the plastic parts are, how thin the clear parts, how sharp detail is, how consistent panel lines look across the various parts.

Absolutely. You can have a really good quality kit that is inaccurate (GWH 1/144 Victor for example, it's a very nicely moulded kit but the wings for the K2 are B2 wings and the B2R has the wrong bomb bay with no blue steel). 

52 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

On the positive side, one area where others should learn from Airfix is in the decals: theirs are among the best in both design and print quality.

Well that's because they use cartograf. Only decals in a kit that I think have been better are Eduard's ones but I haven't built any of theirs since they changed to those new removable film ones so I can't judge the current releases.

You'll find the same good quality in it any other kit that users Cartograf, the upcoming releases from Beacon Models will all use Cartograf for just that reason

Possibly worth comment that the most precisely engineered and moulded kits came from a "business" that ceased trading, Wingnut Wings.  I suspect that the business never made any real money for the owner. 

Airfix has to satisfy its owners, maintain a position in the market place and keep the buyers coming forward.  

As far as the new 2022 range is concerned: 

I've ordered the 1/24 Spitfire because, well, I had to. I'll build it alongside the vintage 1/24th Mk 1 from my stash. 

I've ordered the 1/48th Buccaneer because I bottled out of building the old one in my stash, far, far to many horror stories.  But I might do a parallel build... 

I've ordered the Anson because it is clear Airfix will never make on as a 1/24th, which I'd requested.  I've had a love affair with the Anson for years. No logical reason. 

As to accuracy.. I'm involved with a Museum that restores relatively modern aircraft. Even from the 1960s there are no really accurate drawings. So Airfix uses LIDAR and other scanning technology and builds from there. But an aircraft, built in 1974 and withdrawn from service 2019 is not exactly as built. Many, many parts have been changed, so the Hawk we have, XX154, has had so many refurbishments and replacement parts it just like "Triggers Broom". Only the cockpit area is as it left Dunsfold, all those years ago. We should not  obsess with theoretical accuracy, but focus on "does it look right". 

The Airfix Vampire is based, in part, on data from one in a museum in Finland. It may, or may not, be representative of an equivalent RAF one. Photo inspection is key, if that is important to you. 

Just the ramblings of someone who has been building Airfix kits since they were 2/-., sold in a poly bag by Woolworths and contained only a few parts. If I recall correctly the 1/72 scale Spitfire had solid wings with "representative" wheel wells. 

Enjoy your modelling, nothing else really matters.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

because I bottled out of building the old one in my stash, far, far to many horror stories. 

There was a very deatailed thread on this that has now gone, but basically

"Basically you have to do it in sections, glue from the nose to intakes first, let that dry, then the rear fuselage to exhaust's then the wings." 

referenced here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54280-tims-phoenix/

the photos have gone,  but the original poster may still have them, or could add some details. 

see also

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031135-148-airfix-buccaneer/

which you posted in.

Seems to be it requires some care and planning and it's do-able.

HTH

• Like 2

Happy to see the Anson, even though I still have a few CA/SH versions to build in my stash, good to see new Buccaneer but slightly disappointed at the large Spit, a high backed with XIV with full Griffon would’ve pushed the envelope a little more, like the Car Door Typhoon and Hellcat but I’m sure many are happy with the prospect of the IX.

Mike

Something different, though related to QA:

I believe Airfix might want to look into switching to different (harder) plastics instead of the soft stuff they're still using.

They're close to the point where it's actually keeping them back from being really good when you look at the amount of detail they obviously can and do implement in their designs...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mick b said:

a high backed with XIV with full Griffon would’ve pushed the envelope a little more

:nodding: - that said, Griffons aplenty.  The XII, XIV, upcoming XVIII,  the PR.XIX and Mk.22/24

1 hour ago, mick b said:

but I’m sure many are happy with the prospect of the IX.

Considering they haven't had a Mk.IX in the line-up in any scale for at least a decade (the last being that 1/72 one),  not actually surprised they picked that version.

On 13/01/2022 at 15:47, treker_ed said:

Exactly why they are doing those. The starter sets are very simplified sets - For the Bugatti it's only 39 parts! Includes paints, glue & a brush. Not exactly taxing to put together that few bits of plastic! For the Spitfire it's even les - 26 parts! But it's based on the more complex 1/72, just extremely cut down (it was featured on the recent Hornby - A model World series on Yesterday channel). The Bugatti is £14.99, and the Spitfire is £11.99. Whilst I don't have kids, from what I understand of the pocket money that a lot of our friends give their kids, believe it or not, they could well afford to get these (maybe not both, but they could get them!)

Which of course get's them hooked, and leads them onto the harder stuff to which we are all much more addicted to:evil_laugh: 

When I started modelling many moons ago, I got something like 50p a week pocket money and you could get the Series 1 kits in a poly bag from Woolworths for about that.  When my children stopped getting pocket money (my youngest about 5 years ago, she got £10) so with 5 years increases on that it's certainly in the ballpark.

For me the standout is the new Buccaneer.  I picked up one of the double box issues when the last one came out; built one and put the other in stash because I couldn't face doing another one though I desperately want to build it as the Buccaneer to me is the ultimate British jet.  So I will get one of those.  And I've always had a soft spot for the Anson since building the original 1/72 kit years ago.

Nice to see FEARLESS and DEVONSHIRE re-released for Falklands 40 though as others have said, the Falklands Task force set would have been better as it includes a T21 and Leander, both of which were well represented in the South Atlantic.  Would have been really nice though to see them joined by QE2 and Canberra but I don't know if Airfix still have the moulds.  Both are going for silly money on Ebay.  And again, perhaps re-release ILLUSTRIOUS with an extra sprue to include the parts to convert back to INVINCIBLE.  I'd also have taken a new tool HERMES in 1/350 😀.

But for me the downside were the Spitfires.  Do we really need any more?  I think I saw one new mould (1/24) and two re-issues.  Yes I know people will buy them and so I get it from a business perspective but I just don't understand why people buy them when just about every manufacturer have multiple options.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, Des said:

Definitely the Anson , would like the Buccaneer but to be honest at that price and with the last double pack release of their original1/48 Bucc still among the hundreds of kits in the loft cannot justify it . . . . .  YET !!!!!       

Well that determined resolve lasted for less than a week . . . . . but there is a certain (very , very weak) logic.

My Airfix Club membership like many of those who bought into the relaunch has been extended until 31st. January and currently has a 10% discount.

I picked up a copy of the 2022 catalogue today and for the relaunched relaunched Airfix Club from 1st. February the 10% discount is not listed among the benefits.

I know that I will eventually want one of the new Buccaneers and give in anyway and perhaps pay over the odds on eBay when I do so therefore it made good economic sense to just pre-order it (and the Anson I intended to get anyway) today and actually save money . . . . .  as a certain Russian accented Southern African Mongoose would say . . . . .  SEEMPLES !!!

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes I know people will buy them and so I get it from a business perspective

Those bread & butter kits are why you now get a 1/48 Anson.

• Like 5

On 16/01/2022 at 09:04, Chewbacca said:

But for me the downside were the Spitfires.  Do we really need any more?  I think I saw one new mould (1/24) and two re-issues.  Yes I know people will buy them and so I get it from a business perspective but I just don't understand why people buy them when just about every manufacturer have multiple options.

I think the new 1/24th can be justified - the previous 1/24 Spit is now very long in the tooth. I imagine the two kits will be like chalk and cheese. As for the others, well while its true many other companies produce Spits, how many will appear on high street shelves? Outside specialist model shops I think you're unlikely to see them. Basically the common or garden kit in the UK seems to be Airfix or Revell, and since Spitfires are sure to sell (esp. to the non-specialist), it seems a safe bet for Airfix to keep churning them out. I doubt it takes away from anything else Airfix might be doing and provides a steady revenue stream.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

This is my favourite Buccaneer photo...  improbable? Yes. But it happened during trials of the refueling system of the Tristar at Boscombe Down. 

The photo is probably Copyright MOD, but was given to me by an ex project manager. 

spacer.png

The buddy refueling pods on the Buc weren't really designed for that use and immediately after the photo the Buc pilot had to go bac to get his fuel back, so the story goes! 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, ckw said:

I think the new 1/24th can be justified - the previous 1/24 Spit is now very long in the tooth. I imagine the two kits will be like chalk and cheese. As for the others, well while its true many other companies produce Spits, how many will appear on high street shelves? Outside specialist model shops I think you're unlikely to see them. Basically the common or garden kit in the UK seems to be Airfix or Revell, and since Spitfires are sure to sell (esp. to the non-specialist), it seems a safe bet for Airfix to keep churning them out. I doubt it takes away from anything else Airfix might be doing and provides a steady revenue stream.

Cheers

Colin

I have the Mk 1 in 1/24th and the Mk 9 on order. When it arrives I'll do a parallel build. 

This is a nice 1:1 scale Mk 9 Kit....

Salisbury-Spitfire.jpg

Now built and sitting on a pole alongside Castle Road, Salisbury...

Moulded from fiber reinforced plastic and with a steel structure, so I think it can be called a plastic kit?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I have the Mk 1 in 1/24th and the Mk 9 on order. When it arrives I'll do a parallel build. 

This is a nice 1:1 scale Mk 9 Kit....

Salisbury-Spitfire.jpg

Now built and sitting on a pole alongside Castle Road, Salisbury...

Moulded from fiber reinforced plastic and with a steel structure, so I think it can be called a plastic kit?

Look at them rivets, nothing like the real thing.....

On 16/01/2022 at 09:04, Chewbacca said:

though to see them joined by QE2 and Canberra but I don't know if Airfix still have the moulds.  Both are going for silly money on Ebay. 

Yes they still have the moulds, they were considered for a Falklands Set in 2007 but the idea was dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

More for me in 2022 than in previous years, but I am alarmed at the prices.
My interest: the F86F-40, Meteor F8, Dakota, which I would build as The USAF Ski version, and Vintage Classics F80, the Whirlwind and the Beaver (with floats and Skis).

• Like 1

The price rises are disappointing but inevitable 

Hannants issued an email last week with future releases and warned that ICM kit prices are rising steeply with a £30 kit increasing to £40, so a 25% increase 

Others will follow no doubt.

• Like 1